Two cars in need of ID

Dave Mellor NJ

These two cars, posted on The Old Motor | Old car photos are in need of ID

Unknowns.jpg

Two photos that we have here in our files which we hope you can help us identify. Above is a quite sporty, circa 1912 small car of unknown origin. Below is a photo of a real oddity, again from about the same time as the car above, which features an unusual round device on it’s rear deck, along with being decorated by many fasteners used in the construction of the bodywork. We have faith that you, our readers will be able to help us with these latest two mystery photos. The Old Motor photos.

Unknowns-II.jpg

I think the round object on the back of the armored car is really a round trunk that is usually found in a fender mounted spare tire. It is merely laying on its side on the rear deck. The first car might be a Model T Ford with a home made body. I think I see the throttle and spark levers on the steering wheel. I'll try to enhance the photo and see more...

Frank

On the second car I think the rivet heads are just decoration or they wanted to make darn sure no one ever opened the door.

Could be a water tank on the back. I can't figure out what the thing on the top of it is but it sort of looks like a tap on the front of it.

Mr. Chronis on "The Old Motor forum" suggests 1912-13 Abbott-Detroit Battleship Roadster for #2. This appears to be confirmed by a period Auto topics write up which also explains the device on the rear deck as a trunk for holding 2 extra casings & spare rims.

As quoted from: Automobile topics - Google Books

"ABBOTT-DETROIT for 1913

........... The battleship roadster body is the one which made such a hit at the New York and Chicago shows, having a V-shaped radiator and a sheet steel body with the rivets plainly showing.

"......The battleship roadster has a tire trunk and two extra casings on spare rims as part of the regular equipment, these being mounted on the deck in the rear of the seats."

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)

Just a guess on the small car: Trumbull?

Trumbull looks very, very close. In The Complete Encyclopedia of Motorcars 1885-1968 there is a picture of a 1915 Trumbull roadster--with doors and top. The fenders and wheels of the 1915 appear identical, the radiator shell has the same shape and the hood has the same slope. Looks to be the same size. Even more of a clincher is that hood on both have plain sides--no venting. But the radiator shell of the 1915 Trumbull in the book is plated/brass. I don't think this car is Model T based--wheelbase looks short--looks too small for even Henry!

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

I don't have the proper term for it, but the gizmo across the top of the rear "tub" on the rivetted-runabout looks similar to a strut or clamp-bar used to secure a cover across a hatch or inspection cover...

Sure is an interesting, if industrial-looking, body design...

• 10 months later...

The first car is definitely a 1914/1915 Trumbull speedster. It has the same fenders, hubcaps, radiator, hood etc. of Trumbulls. Supposedly they only made one speedster for Alexander Trumbull, brother of Isaac and Jonathan Trumbull. That is Alexander in the driver seat. I think it was originally grey with red wheels.

Edited by nyleb (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure how to send a photo to The Old Motor to show that it is a Trumbull, but here is scan of a brochure including the speedster.

post-86749-14314173244_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding photo #2, I think it can be confirmed as an Abbot-Detroit Battleship roadster based on this picture from Motor World Wholesale, vol 32 (1912) found on Google eBooks. Most every unique details matches as best I can tell.

Sorry for the small size; I enlarged it as much as I dared and tweaked it a little.

post-40502-143141745042_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwells (see edit history)

Regarding photo #2, I think it can be confirmed as an Abbot-Betroit Battleship roadster based on this picture from Motor World Wholesale, vol 32 (1912) found on Google eBooks. Most every unique details matches as best I can tell. Sorry for the small size; I enlarged it as much as I dared and tweaked it a little.

You nailed it......Abbott Detroit.

The current HCCA roster shows 4 Trumbull roadsters and one coupe. The coupe got a first junior at Hershey last fall. The roster shows 11 pre-16 Abbott-Detroits.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I think there are about 10 Trumbull roadsters, 2 coupes, and 1 or 2 pickups left. Some of the roadsters are in England and New Zealand.

Edited by nyleb (see edit history)

Guest Casper Friedrich
I think there are about 10 Trumbull roadsters, 2 coupes, and 1 or 2 pickups left. Some of the roadsters are in England and New Zealand.

There is a 1914 roadster in Norway.

BTW Isaac Trumbull was on board on Lusitania when it was torpedoed by the Germans on May 7th 1915. That was the end for the company.