1956 Chrysler Plainsman Concept Car on Ebay

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

This interesting car is currently being offered on Ebay. It really has that funky fifties look, check out the cowhide and leather interior! Should be interesting to see how high the bids go...

Click here: Chrysler | eBay

$(KGrHqYOKokE5lRQFRY6BOnJTETung~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKj0E5vO8LzQlBOnJS3Q-9!~~60_3.JPG

Guest Jim_Edwards

Good thing they didn't produce that one! That thing is so ugly it should be considered an eyesore. Looks like the rear portion of the roof turret was intended to be 180ed and used on a 4 door hardtop, specifically the '57-'58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. The side view looks much like a '55-'56 Lincoln and the front bumper is almost like the one that showed up on their turbine car experiment in the 1960s and the split grille treatment was swiped by Pontiac. Gotta wonder just what were they thinking. I think I would have fired the head of the design studio for wasting money!

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Kinda "puffy" looking. I am an avid Chrysler Corporation car fan, but I'm afraid you guys are right about this one.

Some of my favorite cars were the tri-color mid '50s Dodges and DeSotos. And who would like the pure luxury of the early '60s Imperials. Those Imperial interiors put the Caddy and Lincoln interiors of the era to shame.

It's been for sale on and off for the last few years. I believe it was in Australia and was converted to right hand drive at one point?

Not all concepts are beautiful but it is a one off factory car that is unique so in that sense I like it. Not sure of it's real market these days. I would think near the bottom of the factory concept car range.

It's been for sale on and off for the last few years. I believe it was in Australia and was converted to right hand drive at one point?

Not all concepts are beautiful but it is a one off factory car that is unique so in that sense I like it. Not sure of it's real market these days. I would think near the bottom of the factory concept car range.

the car was in australia for awhile, but the car is still lefthand drive. i can't believe that the list of related owners let this rare show car get into such sad condition, what a shame. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)

That's why they make experimental cars. They all seem like a good idea until you get a good look at them. Then they hide the dogs and only produce the good ones.

Saw an article on that car a few years back, apparently the custom made body work was very, very heavy. The finished car needed heavy springs and reinforced suspension. It was sold to someone and saw limited street use but really was never meant to be used, it was built purely for show.

To each his own, I like it. At least you won't have to see another one coming at you or at show, like T's, A's 55-57 chebbies, and such

ALK

Normally, I'm one that likes odd cars, but this one is an exception. The nasty unfortunate paint color certainly doesn't help. I realize it may have "matched" the interior at one time, but I think a better color choice could have been made. Then again, I'm not sure a different color would help that 'design' much. :o

What a lot of negativity!!

Hey guys, lighten up...this is a one off!

At least give it THAT status!

Ugly, maybe, but still a one off!

I am sure a lot of period employees worked their a$$e$ off to get this thing to period shows.

And remember, you are looking at it today, just how did it look back in the mid-fifties??

Probably a lot different than now!!

Cheers, Mike

What a lot of negativity!!...........

Cheers, Mike

And, considering what we have on the highway today that's considered new trendy, I'd say the Plainsman was pretty darn stylish.

I was talking to an ex-GM engineer just yesterday, showing him some AACA Meet pictures from this year, and eventually asked him what happened to all the pretty colored cars of yesterday.

His answer, "It's what the public demands!":confused::confused::confused:

You're kidding me, right?

What a lot of negativity!!

Cheers, Mike

Mike

I have kind of avoided the post because I too beleive those folks are missing the idea.

America had a romantic revisit with the "west" starting in the mid 50's. There are a LOT of sociology reasons for this. Expanding suburbs, loss of some neighborhood community feel and most importantly - the growth of the superhighway and modern high compression engined automobiles allowed families to "go west" on vacations.

So this romantic nostalgia was helped along by the manufacturers and TV with many "western themed" TV programs and show cars like this one.

Pete Phillips, BCA Bugle Editor, featured a similar production Buick Wagon (1959) called the "Texan" in the last Bugle magazine.

The Texan featured the same underwhelming color tones of tan and brown leather with longhorn emblems in the doors and other "western touches."

Also, Buick did a "Wells Fargo" show car with Dale Robertson, based on a 58 Buick convertible, tying into the TV show and roman

tic culture of the western lifestyle.

Advertising of the day featured cars set in many luxurious locales including seaside settings but western themed ads were huge as well. It was escapism 101...

I think, although it looks odd, the rear white section on this Plainsman was intended to mimic a stagecoach. This is a show car and was pure fantasy, so I think the group that is bashing this car is looking for concepts that might be used in production cars -- and Virgil Exner was known for zigging when others zagged.

It is what it is and the forum, in my opinion, is fine in allowing their negative comments. I don't want to be censored, and so when those posts overwhelm a topic I am OK with it. But having a different viewpoint like yours and mine is sometimes relevant as well.

Yes I would own this car if I could run with the big dogs that collect these sort of cars, but it's beyond my means.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Looking at it now, it looks like someone sawed the roof off of a 4 door 1958-60 Mercury or Lincoln including windows and slapped it on backwards, and the fact that it is a different color than the rest of the car does not help lessen that image.

However, this car was built in 1956, before Linc and Merc had those roofs. Wonder if it would have been better without that image in your head?

It makes me recall how there were cars that in their day were said to be ahead of their time.

The 1936-37 Cords were that way, as a good example.

They had so many innovations and were lower than any other cars back when introduced.

Hey, they actually had a sub-frame!! In the mid 30's, no less!!

But, today, it seems to evaporate away, since we have seen so very many low cars, many lower than the Cords were, and with many of those same refined innovations in them.

It kind of waters them down.

It is difficult to put ourselves in the era that these ideas were introduced, so many years later.

We really have to try to imagine them in the situation in which they were when proudly shown.

Isn't it similar to us, today, proudly showing our treasures??

At the shows...I mean.

Mike