Coming Soon

RickBrinker

I guess this means that all you slackers out there ( ok me included ) better revamp your membership. Have to pay to play I guess.

I do have a few questions though

1- Will the data that has already been collected here be transfered to wherever the new site is.

2- Is this forum just becoming non-existant

3- Will we be able to keep the same screen-names ( I call dibs on 1930 )

I may not chime in every day but I visit the site here most every day, with that being said I too happen to have a couple questions on this decision/change.

Is there a reason behind moving the Dodge Brothers board to a separate site? I do personally find it easy and obviously more convenient to visit the one web site (aaca.org) and cover all my own personal interests without jumping to another site.

Is the plan too to disable this current board?

Was there a study done that determined that people would want to jump between sites?

These are some of the more important questions/comments that come to mind for me. Scott…

Pretty sure ( and please correct me if I am wrong ) that what Rick may be leaving out of his explanation is that when an internet search is done for Dodge Brothers club a user would click on that site and there would be provided a link to the new forum, this URL to this forum will no longer exist on the Dodge site ( or will be eventually dropped ) which enabling this site to become much more obselete to new users ( the club prob. is not going to support two forums ) in which case we are back to the same un-answerered questions that Scott asked such as whats the point ect. This is not a good site but is already a great site as stated by the largest majority of people that frequent it.

Hopefully that is better clarification and again please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I’m thinking it will be decided over time if this is going to be or was a good decision. I would have to believe that there is a cost to running a separate site and although I’ve no knowledge of the specifics to host this forum on the AACA site I’m thinking that there would be little to no cost(?) as all forums here are free(?). Sure the objective (and hope) here on the AACA site would be that the users of the site would be prone to sign-up for an AACA membership, although it is not required. I personally am both an AACA and Dodge Brother member myself.

And on further thinking over time that I used this site it offers a larger number of similar forums and members that can and have been of great help to those that have become Dodge Brother members. I’m thinking that those that visit this site today because they are AACA site members will most likely not jump over to the “new” site to offer their experience and/or insight to forum topics as they can and do today. Again, just my opinion and not based of statistical fact.

Finally I did go over to the DeSoto site and feel that after using this current site it appears very plain to say the least. As mentioned above, time will tell how this is going to turn out, it would be a shame to setup a “new” independent site and in the end have few members interacting with it and I for one would miss visiting the AACA site as a one stop destination for my interests. I don't believe that I’ve got much more to add to this topic I think that would be relevant, again the site members and time will tell how this will all workout in the end. Hopefully there will be additional specifics posted here that will explain what is behind this decision and how it came about. Scott…

You might be missing the point I was trying to make Scott, just to clarify, I think this site only gets as much traffic as it does because it is linked directly from the Dodge Brothers club site. When a person has an interest in a new Dodge they type Dodge clubs and I am sure D.B comes up and from their they can get over to here.

If that link no longer exists than it will be mostly by chance that someone would happen upon this particular forum unless both are linked which again I doubt will happen so in the end this site will nearly dye.

I wouldn't expect any further explanation from anyone that has decided to make this change happen because why bother, all we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

As far as the Desoto site many months ago I attempted to join the Desoto forum whose link appears here now as a referance, I enjoy all Chrysler products and am a member of a different Desoto forum and a Plymouth forum, its nice to learn about the different makes, I contacted Rick and was denied access because I did not own a Desoto, poor decision in my opinion because if I ever had any thoughts of becoming a Desoto owner they were quickly thrown out the window.

My point is that AACA never denied me access to any of their forums whether it be Chevrolet or Ford and I have never heard of a site denying access to anyone because they did not possess the material object that the forum was based on so how this new forum could possibly be any sort of an improvement over this one eludes since I was denied access I couldnt possibly comment any further on that.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

BTW I have limited the amount of clubs I can join, this year I had to go with AACA since that is where all of the Dodge literature went that the club had and I thought I would get a break in the cost of getting some copies had I been an AACA member, if I did than it was not much!

Regardless I just went ahead and bit the bullet for another re-newal with the Dodge club so while I too hope I am wrong and dont want to go to another site to share info I guess we will justhave to see what happens :eek:

Rick, I only have a few of questions about this new site at the moment.

#1-Is this decision to start another website for Dodge Brothers cars your own idea?

#2-Is it affiliated with the Dodge Brothers Club? I have seen no mention of this in the Dodge Brothers Club News or on the Dodge Brothers Club website.

#3-Is it going to be just like the DeSoto forum which only has one basic "General Discussion" type posting area?

#4-Will it be directed at all towards the AACA forums as it is now so that all other MoPar guys (Plymouth and Chrysler) can enjoy surfing the same area without having to go back and forth to totally different forums?

#5-Will it replace this DB forum on the AACA?

A few of "us" want to know. John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

You might be missing the point I was trying to make Scott, just to clarify, I think this site only gets as much traffic as it does because it is linked directly from the Dodge Brothers club site.

Jason, I did get your point within your first reply. Again, I do not have factual numbers to work with to clarify my point. My real opinion is that when I start off here on the AACA site I start off with the Our Cars and Restoration Projects page, then it's Buy/Sell, the Technical Page and then the General Discussion before moving down to the Chrysler/Dodge/DeSoto pages. I do see a lot of questions by members asking "what is it that I've got" and when it is answered it's turns out to be a Mopar product and they are sent down to the Mopar forums which the Dodge Brothers forum is part of.

What I was calling out is the point that there is a lot of knowledge on the AACA site and a number of its members often come down and visits this Dodge Brothers forum. They participate with the questions/comments posted here and often share their knowledge and insights. This "free" sharred knowledge and experience is not going to be there with an independent site.

And as we have both now said, we'll just have to see how this all turns out in the end. Scott...

Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.I am the new Webmaster for the Dodge Brothers Club I'm changing the site to be more user friendly,There will be the same links as always.Wait and see if you like the new Site setup before your you make your decisions.If you want to use the Dodge Brothers Message Board use it if you don't then don't, either way this Message Board will still be here !

I had a long winded thought written in further response to this post but decided to delete it because I feel that it would fall on deaf ears so no point.

I will say however that I like John and many others bleed Dodge Brothers blue, I hope to someday be given the opportunity to make a pretty darn good club even better.

There are not too many major faults that I see within the club but one I would like to point out here is the lack of communication between its members of the board and its members/non-members.

I am not in a place to make that difference now as I am not retired and simply limited on what I can do at this point and frankly it amazes me with the day and age that we live in I.E computers/webcams ect that myself attending these meets dispersed all over the country as long as its outside of a thousand miles of Florida is absalutely neccesary in order to make any sort of a difference but I do hope that someday I can make that difference.

I would ask if there is any member of the board that will answer some questions for me, first and foremost I would like to obtain a copy of the clubs Constitution or By-Laws.

I would like to become more familiar with how the club was organized the ethics it was built upon and the rules that govern it.

Is there even one single board member that will tell me how I can accomplish attaining this? Thanks

Jason,

Look in your Dodge Brothers News Vol.27 No 2 Feb/Mar. 2009 Pg 15-19

You will find our Bylaws with the latest amendments.

That's what the Dodge Brothers Club is all about.

Oh, by the way, I think the next national meet might fall in your 1000 mile range.

Joe C.

P.S. If you don't have that issue, I'll be happy to drop off a copy of the Bylaws for you since I'll be in your area next week.

Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.I am the new Webmaster for the Dodge Brothers Club I'm changing the site to be more user friendly,There will be the same links as always.Wait and see if you like the new Site setup before your you make your decisions.If you want to use the Dodge Brothers Message Board use it if you don't then don't, either way this Message Board will still be here !

Rick, I believe that there are no personal attacks being made here nor is there any attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It started with a simple, previously unannounced or undiscussed, statement that a new website and discussion forum was going to debut in the near future. As for myself I only stated my interest in understanding the reasons for the change. I’ve visited the current Dodge Brothers website numerous times over the years, most often to see what may be available on the cars and parts pages. I would be probably one of many to agree the Dodge Brothers website could use a makeover and brought into the 21<SUP>st</SUP> Century. That being said though I was then curious as to why the revamp of the main website would need to include the removal of the link to this AACA site to utilize the existing message board.

My objective was and is to ensure that all Dodge Brothers members that use the message board today and in the future have the ability to access as much knowledge, experience and skills as possible to get the most out of their Dodge Brothers vehicle/project. Nothing more…

The questions that I’ve asked myself is why now closet away members to a non-open board, which is available today as part of the AACA site and isolate the members from all that knowledge, experience. I would think that maintaining the existing link as is to this message board as the sole primary discussion board would continue to provide the Dodge Brothers members the best overall experience. Today members need not post projects/questions on multiple boards to have access to others that enjoy a shared interest.

And to close, I would like to share just a bit on myself. I’ve more than 20 years experience in major automated warehousing and financial business systems design, development and implementation. One of the many things I’d learned early on was that to make any system implementation successful was partnership and communication. If the decision to revamp the Dodge Brothers website was communicated to those that currently use it today along with an opportunity for some level of participation in its evolution there would probably be few to no questions. Again, this last bit is not a personal attack just an observation to the fact that of the questions and/or comments that have been posted since the simple uninformative initial post have gone unanswered and some of us are wondering why.

Finally, although I felt there was little more that I could have added after my last post I felt the need to directly respond to your last reply. And Rick, I do what to pass my congratulations on to you with your appointment as the new Dodge Brothers Webmaster. Scott…

Quote......Jason,

Look in your Dodge Brothers News Vol.27 No 2 Feb/Mar. 2009 Pg 15-19

You will find our Bylaws with the latest amendments.

That's what the Dodge Brothers Club is all about.

Oh, by the way, I think the next national meet might fall in your 1000 mile range.

Joe C.

Thanks, yes if you happen to be in the area and would like to swing by and meet me and the old Dodge that would be great, I have to warn you though that I only have a 2 car garage and at this point it is filled with stuff from inside the house because I am finishing up a project there so not a whole lot to see and on top of that I am not a social butterfly if you know what I mean but maybe we can take in one of the local shows which are as I mentioned pretty good if you go to the right one.

My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com and we can surely set something up. Thanks

I dont know if I have that issue, I stopped saving them and cut out the articles I wanted to save and put them in a binder.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the next national meet was in CT??? Not to split hairs but that is a little more than 1300 away but I really should try to make it. I would very much enjoy becoming a more active participant within the club.

Rick was elected publicity director by the club, it is not an appointed position. In an effort to keep our 501{3}{c} status, the site needs to become more informative and educational. This Dodge and Dodge Brothers section is controlled by AACA, because they pay the bill. This section has nothing to do with the DB club. If any of you remember a few months ago there was discussion about inner tubes here. Joe and I both were called to the office. It's their site, their rules and I understand that completely. For another example part of the discussion right now about steering wheels will probably be deleted if seen by an AACA monitor. Rick's intent is for a DB members only forum where we CAN discuss club business, which is of no ones interest but club members. Personal attacks and profanity will still be monitored but at least members can discuss things of interest. I haven't read or heard that Rick is removeing links to this site. Rick has some good ideas, how about giving him a chance to impliment them?

So sorry if we seemed to come off as poopooers. We are just old dogs afraid of having to learn new tricks and processes. I don't think anyone is upset about the upcoming site....we are simply curious as to whether or not this site would be as easy to surf and add to as the present site.

Giggle - I went over to the DeSoto message board (an open source Drupal page) and saw there were three users on the site at the time - two registered users: "Bing [bot]" and "Yahoo [bot]" and a "guest" (me). And this was on a Sunday afternoon!

By contrast at the same time there were six members (with real names) active on the AACA DB Forum page and one active moderator. Interesting. ;)

Wonder how this will all shake out?

Guest Backyardmechanic

Hey all I 2nd doug s suggeston Lets give Rick a chance to prove him self out

I belive the 501 {3}{C} status has somthing to do with tax except status.

vern

Actually, its 501 © 3 status. This is a US IRS code section allowing tax exempt (Non-profit) status to organizations meeting prescribed requirements. If you fail to meet or continue to meet these requirements the IRS would revoke our non-profit status resulting in even our DB club dues becoming taxable income

Rick -

As I said before I look forward to the updated site. Having actually put together the original site over 10 years ago as just something fun to do, I know how much work it can be. At that time the only discussion board was me posting e-mails that were sent directly to me by people who stumbled upon the site.

Thanks for volunteering to taking on this task!

Jim

Well, thank you Jim! I had no idea you had done that. I know how thankless of a job web sites can be. People are all too quick to point out ones flaws and rarely ever offer actual help or creative suggestions. And thank you Rick for taking the task on now. I for one welcome it. No one said this site was going away. While the clubs members are directed to this site, in my understanding it never has "belonged" to the DBC.

As the past Publicity director and Webmaster for the Dodge Brothers Club, I have had my share of people's likes and dislikes with the site. Lack of time did not allow me to bring the site to where I wanted it to be. Running a web site requires a lot of time to run and maintain. Rick is in a better position to take the site to the next step/level.

I originally inherited the site from Jim Anselmo who started the web site, there is still some of the content from that site on the existing site now!!! Including the bouncing red car !!

I would suggest we wait and see, and then either give praise or give helpful ideas for the site.

In passing the torch to Rick I have offered to help him in any way with getting the site to the next level. You too can help by providing content for the site(pictures, helpful hints or tricks,parts references,etc)

The more we share the better the site will be.

I like to thank everyone who has posted pictures on the site,used the Classified Ads,etc.

Hope you all will support Rick as I will

Thanks again to all of you!!!

Stephen