More Cars comming out of storage

It seems to me in the last five years more well preserved/orginal unrestored cars are showing up on the road and at shows. I think this is because of the older population that collected and stored these cars is now dying off, and the relatives are not necessarily interested keeping the "collections". Other observations, thoughts?:)

I saw an item bought from the son of man who passed away 1917 Maxwell 4 cyl, out of a barn, surface rust and paint, leather seats ok, ready to run.

Some interesting unrestored things I saw last year (were driven to shows), ~1918 Chevy 4cyl touring surface rust (had been in storage 50+ years, if heard right), ~1922 Studebaker 6 cyl touring surface rust and some paint left but very clean, Model a Tudor sedan-very dusty and roof in bad shape.

See pics below

post-31196-143138560558_thumb.jpg

post-31196-14313856056_thumb.jpg

There were so many cars in the 60's, 70's, 80's, that were "lost" to restoration, excellent original cars, but someone had to have a "show car" to be respected.

I'm guilty of this too, found a wonderful 1934 Pierce 840 sedan, Oklanoma car, not run in years, in the late 1970's. Now, would just get it running and show it. Then, pressure was to restore, which is what I did.

Guys with bicycles and motorcycles all along knew the value of originality. Not so, car guys, until fairly recently.

I just bought a Model A Tudor in driveable condition, solid but with "aged" original features. It will NOT be restored in my lifetime. Now if I could only persuade PA DOT to issue me antique tags I could drive the thing. They say it's in too bad condition for antique plates. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Guest De Soto Frank
I just bought a Model A Tudor in driveable condition, solid but with "aged" original features. It will NOT be restored in my lifetime. Now if I could only persuade PA DOT to issue me antique tags I could drive the thing. They say it's in too bad condition for antique plates. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Then put regular plates on it ! ;)

PA DOT really irks me the way they deign to issue Antique Tags... and I 'm getting REALLY tired of seeing them on STREET RODS and CHOP-JOBS !

I thought the tag was for vehicles that had "not been subtantially altered from their factory condition"... ??? :confused:

Then put regular plates on it ! ;)

PA DOT really irks me the way they deign to issue Antique Tags... and I 'm getting REALLY tired of seeing them on STREET RODS and CHOP-JOBS !

I thought the tag was for vehicles that had "not been subtantially altered from their factory condition"... ??? :confused:

Agreed , and try to get plates for a car that things like a soft top or hubcaps were an "option" and not standard equipment. It will get rejected instantly!!! I now have a set of caps that I duct tape in place for my Pa. pictures.

Hoping to see the two guys who bring matching '31 A slant windows in original condition - (kind of rough around the edges actually, but totally safety checked) to our show this coming Sunday. When they show up they sometimes wear old farmer type clothes to match the cars!

Guest De Soto Frank
restorer,i just cant fathom that ,when there are 1986 cars on the road with bad breaks,do they check them all?

Apparently it's more of a "beauty contest" with the folks at DMV.

That is insane. There is a very active "out of the barn" Model A club here in Southern NE and most of those who participate would probably consider that a "show car"... You know, their cars are mostly surface rust over most of the body not rare and springs sticking through the seats here and there, etc. but sorted to be safe. Anyway, I see no reason why any state would not issue an antique plate to your A, Restorer. Original yes, but also looks parade ready; did not know there were requirements on paint and chrome to be an "antique" - silly me, I thought 80 - 81 years of age might just make the cut.

(and I always thought PA was more "sensible" than CT, maybe not...)

In any event, nice car for sure. Since West gave his opinion I will give mine - generally a BW guy on Model As - but the red wheels and WWW break up an all black car nicely I think.

Skip the fog lights, grille gaurd and radiator ornament and get an old accy. "explosion whistle" to go with the great horn and you are ready to go!! I thought my neighbor with his '28 AR Phaeton was going to wear out his horn last weekend taking kids for rides around the neighborhood! :)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Man, that sounds crazy.

Why don't the members from the various car clubs in PA gang up and petition or lobby the PA Legislature to get the law changed?

Let me guess: people who know nothing about antique cars are making the determination whether your Model A is all original as it left the factory? What about Custom Bodied pre war cars like Packard, Cadillac etc? How on earth can the PA DMV people make determinations about cars that are obscure or rare? Sounds really screwed up.

Pomeroy

Ahh, maybe Thorne Brown? In any event, a really nice A that will stand out from the others, at a show - not easy to do...

Stating the obvious here but that car is well worth avoiding the tons of repro parts out there - if Renninger does not have it, someone on Fordbarn likely will, but the prices on original A stuff are getting "Packard Like"... ;)

Hello,

I purchased a 1916 Hudson Open Touring sedan out of a barn in NH, last year all original with the original dealer plates. The car was purchased not to far from were it was found. I am in the process of looking for valve springs for the vehicle if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Matt Maya

grnmtbyz@hotmail.com

1916 Hudson Open Touring Sedan

1922 Hudson 7-pass sedan

1923 Hudson 5-pass sedan

1924 Hudson 2-dr coach

post-31004-143138562851_thumb.jpg

post-31004-143138562856_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank
Im sorry ,but does penn .inspect all cars?

Only cars and trucks wearing regular annual renewal plates.

Guest De Soto Frank
Posting pics of my mostly original Model A that PA DOT refuses to honor with an ANTIQUE plate.

This sounds like bureacratic BS to me.... :mad::mad:

And yet I see all manner of street-rods, rat-rods, and primer buggies wearing the new PA "Antique" plate.... :confused:

Sounds like it's time to drop by your local state representative's office, explain your plight, and ask him / her to expedite your application through their office.

Or, just put turn signals on it, and get a regular plate.

Or cruise the show fields at Macungie and Hershey and take pics of all the HPOF survivors wearing PA antique plates ( if there are any ), and build a case from there....

Marlyand, where I grew up, was a lot easier to deal with on "Historic" tags....

Good luck with it - it sure looks like a nice car... perhaps a new set of photos, in a more flattering setting would help ?

Guest bofusmosby

Restorer, who ever told you you couldn't get antique plates for that car of yours is just plain and simple....an IDIOT! I'd go back and talk to a superviser. If that doesn't work, I'd go to the local newspapers and TV stations. Let the public see how stupid they are at the DOT. THEN, see how quickly you get your plates.

I am torn as to which way to go. The old hippie part of me says go to PA DOT and demand to see a supervisor. Bureaucrats are like cock roaches, shine a light on them and they scurry for cover and will do about anything to avoid a ruckus. The more rational part of me says to enlist the aid of my state rep, coincidentally my next door neighbor. The devious part of me says take new pictures in a different setting and photoshop 'em. I will report back. I have promised the grandkids a ride on the 4th of July so I have to do something soon.

Guest De Soto Frank

State Rep.

Did the deity who refused your application give you a list of issues that caused your car to be denied ?

( Feel free to PM me...)

Guest bofusmosby

Restorer32

Since you are next-door neighbors with your State Rep, I would go this route. I would also explain to him (her) that a car is only original once, and to be forced to restore it into a show car would destroy the originality...so to speak. I have seen many rust-buckets down here in Florida that had antique plates, and they look horrible compared to yours. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that if your State Rep made one phone call, the problem would be taken care of.

Please keep us posted.

New pictures with a "nice background" you know, at a park or in front of a period home would probably help. Then, install your new running board rubber or simply lay it in place and either photoshop or use watercolors to mask large spots on body, which should wash away harmlessly after you are done. You just ran into someone who thinks they are more qualified than they are to make that call, or they are simply incompetent.

Good luck and report back - makes me miss my '30 tudor! Restored, but nearly 40 years ago.

Guest prs519

As a westerner, when I think vintage automobile and "state" at the same time, it is

Pennsylvania that comes to mind! Seems that state should owe a little more care to

its old car people, as they add much to a great state! I have always thought Penn as the

epicenter of ol car resoration and preservation.

Guest De Soto Frank

Depends on the inspection station...

I believe the regs still say "no sharp or jagged edges in the coachwork"...