Antique Trailer

superior1980

I enjoy looking at old boats and old campers almost as much as I enjoy old cars. So I have what I hope is a simple question. Does the AACA have a policy either allowing or forbidding a stock antique trailer being displayed with an antique car towing it? Just wondering.

Guest Jim_Edwards

There are many vintage/antique trailer folks. Typically the "clubs" are based upon the specific make of the trailer though there are "all make" rallies, etc. Many of the enthusiasts do use cars from the period of their trailer. I think you'll find that an interesting crowd. Try this link to a number of vintage trailer sites.

Vintage Vacations Classic Travel Trailer Links

Jim

I have a couple of old campers. One 1964 California Teardrop which always draws a crowd. I also have a 1963 Heilite tent trailer (not a "pop-up") that I use. They always make smiles and many questions. I think that they should be part of any old car gathering as they are as much a part of the history as any car is.

post-31565-143138511806_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138511807_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

An antique trailer displayed on the Charlotte show field. It was actually a camper used by the gentleman on his trip back east from Texas, towed by a Model A, no less.

Maybe West can give you more details. Unfortunately, I got distracted and did not get a picture of the tow vehicle.:(

You guys really need to take in an AACA National Meet or Tour to see what you are missing. We are leaving for Florida tomorrow. If I can, I will put a daily diary up next week.

Wayne

post-31395-143138512058_thumb.jpg

There are clubs for antique trailer fans. They take pride in their restored trailers, just as much as AACA members do in their cars. They also have shows, camping weekend and get togethers although I don't think they go in for show judging. More of an informal weekend get together.

The Tin Can Tourists is one such organization. It was founded in 1919. There are other clubs and groups around the country. If you do a web search for vintage camping or vintage RV you will find some. A search for vintage trailers turns up too many old movie ads.

Well, I'll try and bring my 36 Pierce and Pierce Arrow Travelodge to Hershey in the next few years. They are both built in the same month, and painted the same color. ALL 36 to 38 Pierce cars were set up to run the VAC/HYD brake systems from the factory. My 33 Pierce LaBaron V-12 was also ordered from the factory with a trailer hitch and wiring for the lights. When you add up the trailer craze of 35 to 38 and all the high end trailers like Curtiss, Nomad, Pierce, and all the others I am sure there were quite a few cars set up from new to tow a trailer. Trailer sales were running in the 15 to 25 thousand unit range then. And yes they do judge trailers and most clubs include cooking a dish made in the trailer to go along with the trailer judging! Gotta feed them judges! Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

I tour & show a 1931 Hupmobile pulling a 1937 Mullins "red Cap" trailer. (see photos) Both have been restored to near factory condition and now have over 10,000 touring miles. I see no reason to exclude all trailers.

Last summer I drove the Hupmobile towing the Mullins trailer 160 miles to the AACA National Meet in Louisville. The car was entered in the Driver Participation category and judged with the trailer in the closed position. No judges comments were said about the trailer.

After the judging, we opened the trailer to display the period luggage, original Hupmobile tools, and an early 1930's crank record player. We played multiple vintage 78 rpm records and had a great time talking with people about the contents of both car and trailer.

For the record, the Mullins MFG of Salem Ohio only built about 2,000 trailers in 1936-37. With only 100 known to exist, is a rare piece of history. The trailer design is such a classic that 74 years later, reproduction fiberglass trailers are still being built and sold.

post-41405-143138512306_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143138512309_thumb.jpg

Well, I'll try and bring my 36 Pierce and Pierce Arrow Travelodge to Hershey in the next few years. They are both built in the same month, and painted the same color. ALL 36 to 38 Pierce cars were set up to run the VAC/HYD brake systems from the factory. My 33 Pierce LaBaron V-12 was also ordered from the factory with a trailer hitch and wiring for the lights. When you add up the trailer craze of 35 to 38 and all the high end trailers like Curtiss, Nomad, Pierce, and all the others I am sure there were quite a few cars set up from new to tow a trailer. Trailer sales were running in the 15 to 25 thousand unit range then. And yes they do judge trailers and most clubs include cooking a dish made in the trailer to go along with the trailer judging! Gotta feed them judges! Ed

Let me know when you decide to bring it so we can arrange for a good photo session. This unit sounds like a feature story to me!

It might be advisable before dragging an antique trailer to a show to contact the club putting on the show to make sure there is room for it. Many show fields don't have the room for a trailer to be displayed.

I wouldn't do that. It's a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission. I would bet they'd bend over backwards to get a spot for it... if they wouldn't, shame on 'em. (Except for maybe Hershey... I think I'd let them know what you plan to do beforehand.)

Mine's been in a number of shows. It's a tad larger than most, but it sure is shiny.:D

100_3632.jpg

Hey Barry, I was just talking to Bill the other day about this trailer and had wondered if you were able to get it to where you could use it. I know it had some "issues" when you first started to take it out.

First trip was a bummer, but the second, and only other trip, went extremely well. I hired someone else to drag it across Michigan. He said it was the best towing trailer he'd ever latched onto. I haven't towed anything since the accident. I now drive the cars to all the shows up to 5 hours away and ship it if it's longer than that. I find that that is the limit of my attention span.

I tour & show a 1931 Hupmobile pulling a 1937 Mullins "red Cap" trailer. (see photos) Both have been restored to near factory condition and now have over 10,000 touring miles. I see no reason to exclude all trailers.

Last summer I drove the Hupmobile towing the Mullins trailer 160 miles to the AACA National Meet in Louisville. The car was entered in the Driver Participation category and judged with the trailer in the closed position. No judges comments were said about the trailer.

After the judging, we opened the trailer to display the period luggage, original Hupmobile tools, and an early 1930's crank record player. We played multiple vintage 78 rpm records and had a great time talking with people about the contents of both car and trailer.

For the record, the Mullins MFG of Salem Ohio only built about 2,000 trailers in 1936-37. With only 100 known to exist, is a rare piece of history. The trailer design is such a classic that 74 years later, reproduction fiberglass trailers are still being built and sold.

Nice set-up, Huptoy!

Hey Barry - that is one very interesting and well documented "Interior" photo! Admire your tenacity to just "git 'er done!" Especially in a '50s theme. Staying true to the era is worthwhile in my opinion and adds much to the finished product. Wishing you many years of happy hauling and (S)miles of Miles!

Hey Barry - that is one very interesting and well documented "Interior" photo! Admire your tenacity to just "git 'er done!" Especially in a '50s theme. Staying true to the era is worthwhile in my opinion and adds much to the finished product. Wishing you many years of happy hauling and (S)miles of Miles!

Thank you very much.

I "restored" (street rodded) a 1949 Spartan travel trailer a while back for a client, and I can't imagine hauling that giant monster with anything period correct. That 30 Spartan Manor made my Mazda 4000 pickup grunt while just moving it around.

I wish I was as talented as Barry with the metal working portion, although my interior carpentry skills were pushed to the limit... It turned out great on the INSIDE!

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

Thank you. I bid against a scrapper for mine. All he wanted was the aircraft aluminum skin. Did you know that the skin is an aluminum alloy and it's coated on blth sides with a layer of pure aluminum for polishing? I figured I have about 400 hours in polishing mine.:eek:

I "restored" (street rodded) a 1949 Spartan travel trailer a while back for a client, and I can't imagine hauling that giant monster with anything period correct. That 30 Spartan Manor made my Mazda 4000 pickup grunt while just moving it around.

I wish I was as talented as Barry with the metal working portion, although my interior carpentry skills were pushed to the limit... It turned out great on the INSIDE!

I have an original brochure for the 1947 Spartan Manor in which they tow one to Winnipeg Canada for cold weather testing. The tow vehicle was a 6 cylinder 85 HP Chevrolet believe it or not. They point out that the front of the trailer is designed to catch the air and lift the tongue weight off the tow vehicle at speed.

The Spartanette trailers are the cross-section of an airplane wing. Makes sense as they were made by the Spartan Aircraft Company. They made beautiful shiny planes.

The walls bow outward as does the roof. The only problem with the bowed sides is that the trailer disappears at night at intersections. The shiny skin reflects headlights downward so cars at an intersection can't see their own headlights.:eek:

2386.jpg

Edited by Barry Wolk (see edit history)

Here's the entire build. Not for dial-up. Bring snacks.

http://cardomain.com/ride/340096/5

Well, you weren't just whistling Dixie! I shot my entire morning going through the restoration and drama of your Trailer Saga. I should have been working on the brakes of my '49 Packard... see what you did!

Seriously, I really enjoyed the experience. Personally, I think that the Continental Mark II is hands-down the most beautiful car of the 50's. And yet I collect 'bathtub' Packards... go figure. :D

Nice job. I assumed you used the maple panels as templates, or you're better than you thought. Those are some complex shapes.

Thanks Barry,

I had parts of the original wood, but those were the easy ones. The corners and the curved parts of the roof had been taken off to fix outside dents and not replaced. What remained were most of the 1/4" plywood (the easy stuff) above three inches. It was fun. I didn't see your thread until about six months after I finished mine, and it made me wish that I had spent even more time straightening the outside before polishing. Yeah, I had at least one hundred hours doing mine... But they didn't want the roof done, which saved me a lot of time.

It was a fun (one time only) project. I doubt I would want to do another one.