Pre 1910 Roadster build???

Dandy Dave

I'd bet one of us instead of figuring out the "Polititically Correct" response that wouldn't offend anyone actually laid into this clown and told him Exactly what they thought with their own "Cut-In-Stone" opinions of this ridiculous plan and it was pulled as offensive. Personally I thought the original post was offensive on this site.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

That doesn't make sense.

If it were a discussion about taking a Model T chassis, and making a speedster, there'd be a long thread and no problem.

While I don't think it would make economic sense to use a pre-1910 6 cylinder chassis as the basis for a replicar, so to speak, it's basically still the same discussion (rarity and availability aside). I'm not in favor of visible mechanical modifications, however.

If the engine and chassis were kept basically stock, and a speedster body added, it'd be no different than what often happened when they were used cars.....

Wow, I like this, we're having a post and thread about not having a post and thread!

Some of us have too much time on our hands (like me, I should be down in the garage.....)

Yup, having a lively and entertaining discussion is, once again, too much for our handlers to handle so it was off to delete land. Hosni would be proud...............Bob

OK, so since post that I should have been down in garage, and it's sunny and 45 or so here, so started up Pierce, moved Cord into it's place with a come-along attached to my truck (wiring harness not all in yet, going to a professional next weekend, and the Cord was "trapped" in an inside garage blocked by Pierce).

Moved Corvette where Cord was, and Pierce where Cord was, now ready to pull out and bring to shop next weekend.

To recap. Move Pierce. Cord to Pierce place. Corvette to Cord place. Pierce to Cord place.

I love old cars.....at least I did get something done between posts,

Wow, I like this, we're having a post and thread about not having a post and thread!

Some of us have too much time on our hands (like me, I should be down in the garage.....)

LOL... :D Yeah, Me Too.

I thought it may have had something to do with that pieced together "Marion Bob Cat" I wrote about.

I was just trying to convince the poster to go for a nice original, or restored to original, rather than butcher something like that together. Dandy Dave!

Oh well, maybe so on the Marion. I got in trouble once for talking about an early race car that started out as a license to build (kinda like your Marion story, where you start with a pile of parts and a radiator badge, and the radiator badge is a repro!). That has to be the Marion that's for sale on HCCA site??

Interestingly enough, the car I discussed is again coming up for auction, with a very honest description of how it came to be in existence, I was impressed when I read the catalog.

Obviously won't discuss the car again, nor the fact that it's yellow....oops.....

Yup, having a lively and entertaining discussion is, once again, too much for our handlers to handle so it was off to delete land. Hosni would be proud...............Bob

The thread was deleted by the author NOT the "handlers".

On the screen of which Moderators have access it reads as follows: "Thread deleted by Dave B. (the author)." "Reason: Thread deleted by the originator".

On the screen of which Moderators have access it reads as follows: "Thread deleted by Dave B. (the author)." "Reason: Thread deleted by the originator".

To me that seems an odd feature. I own a forum myself and have never noticed it on mine. Also I think it's odd that here one can go back and edit (revising history) at any time. I've stumbled across some posts here (usually by the same couple of people) where it shows they've edited weeks, and even months, after posting -- usually after they've been proven wrong on something. A lot of forums remove the edit feature after about a week. It ruins the whole context of posts that come after once someone does that and makes the conversation really hard to follow.

I agree that it would be an improvement to remove the ability to edit a post after some period of time, perhaps after 1 day. I too, have seen examples of users totally editing their original post to the extent that it made other responses seem totally off base.

I also think that it would be nice if the original poster was unable to delete an entire thread after perhaps a day or so.

This is not the first time that a controversial discussion has been deleted by the original poster, bringing out an incorrect accusation of the moderators deleting it.

To me that seems an odd feature. I own a forum myself and have never noticed it on mine. Also I think it's odd that here one can go back and edit (revising history) at any time. I've stumbled across some posts here (usually by the same couple of people) where it shows they've edited weeks, and even months, after posting -- usually after they've been proven wrong on something. A lot of forums remove the edit feature after about a week. It ruins the whole context of posts that come after once someone does that and makes the conversation really hard to follow.

Our Webmaster would be the person to answer your questions. As for a thread's author going back and editing I tend to agree. In these cases it usually is someone that gets criticized for a statement within a post then tries to hide it by deleting it when the heat becomes too much.

As for deleting your own thread any one of us can do it. Go to your user CP.

In this case the author opted to delete it and that is what he did. He authored it and has the right to delete it if he so desires.

Regards,

Peter.

Yep, on occasion I'll notice something and edit it because I can't always speel tooo gud or I made a grammatical error, but anytime I've had my own ignorance corrected, I've left it.

Awhile back in a technical discussion "someone" was adamant about something that wasn't even possible and after inserting shoe in mouth several times it was proven by others and all his previous posts then disappeared, just ruining the whole thread which was a worthwhile technical discussion for anyone doing a search in the future. After that I learned the quote feature is your friend.

Yes, that's a shame that he deleted it, because I for one thought it was a lively discussion. His original intent really didn't bother me that much, for the simple reason that it was a somewhat difficult task to accomplish.

He wanted to find a pre-1910 six cylinder engine and chassis, for $25K or less. That being an alternate reality to the one that we now live in, the discussion could be entertaining.

Thus, it was hard to criticize him, as what he was asking was unrealistic.

Even if he did find an early chassis, and added a speedster body, so what? There are a LOT of speedsters out there that started from a chassis only, many of which show and tour......

In which case I have a bit of egg on my face and stand corrected.............Bob

In which case I have a bit of egg on my face and stand corrected.............Bob

Not at all, Bob. There have been many critiques of the Moderators over the years for deletions of threads whereas the actual author of the thread deleted it.

If anyone, I have egg on my face as only recently was I informed that when an author delete's I assumed "everyone" sees the reason and by whom. Not the case apparently. Only the Moderators/Administrators see it on their screens.

Bottom line, let's give Peter G. and others a chance to travel home from the Annual Meeting and address the question posted by others: "Eliminating the edit function after, say, a few days".

To other people not knowing about your User CP and basically many functions or AACA services offered on this web site: Please venture off the General Forum and see what is available. The General Forum is a miniscule part of everything available here.

Regards,

Peter.

Oh well, maybe so on the Marion. I got in trouble once for talking about an early race car that started out as a license to build (kinda like your Marion story, where you start with a pile of parts and a radiator badge, and the radiator badge is a repro!). That has to be the Marion that's for sale on HCCA site??

Interestingly enough, the car I discussed is again coming up for auction, with a very honest description of how it came to be in existence, I was impressed when I read the catalog.

Obviously won't discuss the car again, nor the fact that it's yellow....oops.....

Gee, I don't know??? But I will take a look. Dandy Dave!

Yeah, that's it, The Red Marrion. It is registred as a 1911. The photo was taken in the yard of the fellow that gathered the pieces. After his failed assembly attempt, he brought it to me to make it work. Anyone that want's to know real the nut's and bolts of that car send me a PM. Like I said in the deleted post, I am a purest at heart, but at the time I was carring for two handicapped children and the money was good. I have photos of it when it was in primer at the farm. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Here it is.... Me at the wheel after I refit the engine, and made all the linkages, also I had to repair the transaxle as it had a bad input bearing in the transmission, other work. These photos were taken in 2000. The last photo was taken in the owners yard 10 years ago.

Good, Bad , or Indifferent. A pieced together roadster. I went to the websight posted on HCCA and I see the seller aknowledged that the frame is indeed Studebaker, and the motor is Willys, as I had said.

I guess all this proves is that I can make anything work. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly :P...:)...:D LOL.. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143138446227_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138446235_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138446238_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143138446241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave
Add More Photos. (see edit history)

I saw a one of a kind car at Amelia Island 2 years ago. Beautiful restoration but I remembered an article in OLD CARS many years ago by Henry Austin Clark detailing how he assembled this car from assorted bits and pieces of various other makes and models of early parts cars, having found only the bare remnants of the original. Sadly this car has now become "real".

I think that's what's going to happen to a lot of "modified" or pieced together cars. At some point, they become a "real" car. I think it's fine to fix a body that's missing parts, or even fabricate a whole body for an otherwise complete chassis, to bring the car back to original. Even speedsters are accepted by AACA, as it was a period modification.

I just get a kick out of finding out what appears to be a nice original car, has had major work. Was walking Hershey one year with a friend who is into early cars, and there's not a significant brass car that he doesn't know the story. We walked by a really nice early touring car, I commented wow, nice car. He said yeah, but the body from the front doors back was made in Harrah's shop.......so you never know......

There's another post and thread about rebodied Packards, and Dave Mitchell states it correctly....being around a car that is original has a certain feel, when you find out that all or part of the car has been rebodied, it seems to lose that historic appeal....while it can still be a very nice car, and saved from the scrap heap, it's just not quite the same....

Thinking back, I sand blasted the rust off of the Studebaker frame and primed it for the fellow that had it before the roadster build. The fellow that put the roadster together paid $8,000 for the pile of parts and frame. I remember him telling me that the Willys motor came off of a saw rig that was found, and purchased, in Pennsylvania. That motor really started nice as I fit it with an automatic impulse mag. When it was warm, it would start by stepping down on the crank once. It dripped oil, but once it was running the owner was the kind of guy that did not want to go back and repair these "minor things." as he would say. Drove me nuts because I'm more paticular than that about details, but he was paying me and I just went forward with the project. He cut the motor mounts out of angle iron with a torch and never cleaned the edges. And welded things on like the running board brakets, and tire carrier, instead of bolting them. Poor fellow could not run a straight bead of weld to save his life. To put it nicely, it was what we refered to a "Chicken poop weld." I corrected a lot of his "boogers and goofs ups" but not all of them. The car still carries his "hurry up and throw it together charactor" and "Dave will straiten it out later attitude." I use to shake my head and tell him, "You really should not do it this way, he would grin in acknowledgement and say "Oh, I know" and then get on with what he was doing. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

"chicken poop weld" is a new one on me but descriptive....I used to do a lot of fabrication, keeping an old cotton gin going that my brother and I owned....I called it "gorilla welding", ugly but strong......

I'm not a perfectionist by any means, but that method of assembling a car would drive me nuts (or crazier, as my wife says...)

Oh yes! RABBIT, a great looking car that Peter Helck used to drive down to our meet in Ridgefield. It even made the cover of Antique Automobile with a two page feature back in the 1960's. :D

Oh... not old number 16! :eek: Or was it the Mercer Race About? :confused: Dandy Dave!

No, not "Old 16" but a real monster of a car with a huge aircraft engine. Last time I saw Rabbit it was owned by Judge North down in Easton, Md. I spesifically remember measuring the wheelbase and it was around 150 inches. The car was/is a brute to drive but is an interesting example of what happens when people use their imagination to create special purpose cars.

I forget who did they original "conversion" and I'm not sure who the present owner is, Perhaps 1937hd can help out.

Dave, I remember the "Marion" owner was set up at a local flea market years ago, nice guy, but as you say in a hurry to get things done. I asked the price on a few items, and paid him. He wanted to look at cars in the show, and asked if I'd give him $50.00 for all the other bits on his table so he could close up and look at cars. He was a great hobbiest, I miss him.

Yeah, He was a great guy. Just not much good with a wrench. If not for his charming charactor, I most likely would not have worked on his stuff for as many years as I did. He had a great little 1 cylinder Brush at one time that he bought in almost finished condition. All that needed to be finished on it was the wiring. I remember sitting at his bench thinking though the correct wiring sequence as he kept comming up behind me and buggin me. I finally told him, "Ya know, just go away and leave me alone, because if I feed on wire wrong though the switch, It could feed power to the mag and burn out the windings." He got the idea and left me to concentrate. I had it wired and running several hours later. The motor turned counter clockwise on that little Brush. it had a mag, and a buzz coil and timer for starting it.

I bought my 1915 Buick from his estate. He only had it two weeks before he past away and did not have time to do anything to it. We were suppose to get together the day after the Hershey meet to look it over and see what it needed, but he past on the way home. This was one of the reasons I decided to buy it, and also, I got too look it over good and do some work on it before his wife decided to sell the collection a year later. I could of had the Marrion, but I knew what it was. I gotta admit, I do miss that guy as he had a big heart. Dandy Dave!

No, not "Old 16" but a real monster of a car with a huge aircraft engine. Last time I saw Rabbit it was owned by Judge North down in Easton, Md. I spesifically remember measuring the wheelbase and it was around 150 inches. The car was/is a brute to drive but is an interesting example of what happens when people use their imagination to create special purpose cars.

I forget who did they original "conversion" and I'm not sure who the present owner is, Perhaps 1937hd can help out.

The aero-engined car you are referring to is the Benz-Mercedes that Peter Helck owned at one time. It was featured in one of the car mags - maybe Road and Track? - but I think it is not the car referred to in this thread as built up from parts of other cars.

I do not recall that car but it is very racey. I wonder if it has the same Mercedes motor as the Old Rhinebeck Aero Drome's Albatros D Va. This plane still flys in the shows at Old Rhinebeck. Dandy Dave!

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome | America's Original Living Museum of Antique Airplanes! - Albatros D.Va

More Information here on "Rabbit The First" : Remember the restored race car orig. found folded in half & buried on a farm? - Page 5 - THE H.A.M.B.

If I remember correctly the car did have some history at least back to the twenties and was a 1910 Benz chassis with a 1914 Mercedes Aero engine.

More:http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z15144/Mercedes-Racing-Special.aspx

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)