Great Museum in Maine - Brass Cars in Seal Cove / Bar Harbor

Marty Roth

Hi All,

Need a break from the weather?

Our dear friends Dick and Barbara Fox of Bar Harbor, Maine have been a driving force in preserving and resurecting the Paine Brass Car collection so that the Seal Cove Auto Museum has survived and become a great jewel. Please take the time to view the U-tube video below.

The link below will take you to a new film clip featuring the Museum's collection on Utube.

Also lots of recent postings on our Seal Cove Auto Museum Facebook page, including pictures of the Peugeot in Paris received from Sue Davis today.

Seal Cove Auto Museum | Facebook

Seal Cove Auto Museum

1414 Tremont Road

Seal Cove, Maine 04674

Thanks for the link Marty! I've never seen the inside of the collection just read about the cars that used to be there. The building is much nicer that I expected. I was told that years ago the cars were packed in side by side with little room to walk buy them, maybe that was another building. If I ever get to Maine, I'll stop in to see the cars for myself.

Guest Silverghost

They don't have as many great old cars as they once had~~~

I believe quite a number of great early autos were sold-off some years ago~~~To raise money.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Like Marty we are fortunate to call the Foxes close friends and their work for the Seal Cove museum has been astounding! Barbara is like an Energizer bunny with all she does - from being crucial to saving the collection a few years ago to helping with the daily work now. Dick is a workhorse for them anytime and is there often.

The collection was downsized few years ago to settle Mr. Paine's estate but it is still a GREAT collection of brass era cars. If you are ever up near Mt. Desert isle make the time to go to the museum. It does not disappoint!! We have led two national tours in the area and everyone will tell you it is the best stop on the tour yet most never heard of it!

The Owls Head museum is also great. It has a very nice collection od early aircraft as well as the cars. There collections cover more years and is probably a bit larger than Seal Cove. OH is about two hours from Mt. Desert near Camden and Rockport.

Go to Maine, eat lobster often and visit both museums!! Makes a great vacation........

Anyone remember which museum sold their stuff at Sugar Grove, Illinois a bunch of years ago? I did a quick Google and could not find it. One of these two museums sold a bunch of cars and some airplanes were in the auction too. Think Steve McQueen stuff was there.

My friend and I went and bought a bunch of brass lights, speedos, etc. I bought an incredible 50's REO "Indy 500" go-kart that I never could find the history on.

As long as your listing great Maine car & transportation museums, put Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor. It has more neat stuff crammed in than you can imagine. You have to look everywhere when you go through, up, down, under and behind.

I never realized how extensive the collection is at the Seal Cove Museum. I've been to the Owls Head Museum and didn't realize, at that time, how close Seal Cove was. It looks like a destination trip for me in the future. Many thanks.

Rog

I didn't know about the Seal Cove Museum and except for 5 years in NH, have spent my entire life in Maine. I've been to the Owls Head Museum many times and occasionally have gone to their auction (to observe) in August. Also, there is the Bar Harbor Auto and Railway Museum in Bar Harbor. They have a car show there every July that I have been to a couple of times. There is also the Stanley Museum in Kingfield. They only had 3 cars when we were there 10 years ago, but lots of other interesting stuff on the Stanleys, their cars and their other interests including the work they did on photography and film developing. Actually, they were able to indulge their automotive interests because of the money they made on photography.

About 20 miles into Maine, there's quite a nice museum of mostly brass cars in Wells. There's also the Stanley museum in Kingfield, near the Sugarloaf ski area. It has two or three steam cars, plus a lot of other things from the Stanley family. The twins who made the steam cars first made their money in photographic dry plates, and their sister was a very accomplished photographer. The twins and others also made decent violins, mostly (I believe) as a hobby. The museum is in the old Stanley school that the brothers built for the town, long after they'd made their money elsewhere. They were Renaissance men of the old tradition.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Very interesting collection. I hadn't realized that they have an FRP, which I believe is the only one in existence.

A guy named Cutis Graf ran an FRP in the 1984 Great American Race. While he only made it one day, it was an amazing piece of history on the road. I was glad to see it, then see another at Seal Cove 20+ years later.

In 2004 we went on the VMCCA Downeast Nickel Tour on Acadia Island Maine. On one of the last days we all visited the Seal Cove Museum on Mt. Desert in our pre 1935 cars. What a place! Over 100 car and 35 motorcycles} Way out in the country in an unassuming building, one of the finest car collections I've ever seen. (Before Mr Paine died and before the downsizing of the collection)

We lingered after most of the tourist's left and Mr Paine finally arrived from his place in a local Assisted Living facility. At that point in his life he rarely spoke, but as he entered the collection room I asked him which was his favorite car? He looked right past me an wandered toward the cars and said "All of them!"

I agree.

This is one of the reasons we love to tour. Another is meeting people like Marty Roth on that tour. On the way home we stopped at Owl's Head and low & behold they were having a Car Show. More fine antique cars and plane and real nice people, who welcomes us and our old 34 Ford. Farther south in Wells, Maine is another great Museum of mostly brass cars owned by the late Glen Gould. For a state that calls is people Mainiac's, there sure were plenty of sane ones to save all those early cars! Seems when there is an antique car event, they come out of the woods!

Hey Paul- My wife and I hosted the Nickel and thank you for comng all the way from Florida. One of the highlights of the entire week was at the museum with Mr. Paine. We have a great picture of him seated in Mike Huffman's blue Cord with a smile beyond both ears!! Barbara told us he rarely came to the museum but when he found out about our stop INSISTED his aide bring him down that day. He was absolutely a car guy to the end!!

We also went to the Cole museum on that tour and it is an amazing collection. I referred to it as a mini Dearborn due to the trains, snowplows and other variety of stuff there. Maine seems to hide a lot of gems.

The Railway and Car museum referred to above is in Boothbay Harbor, about an hour east of Portland. It is funny we have never been there as I have family there and go to BBH often. One of these trips.....