Best Buick Series Name

Guest BJM

Buick has been in business over 100 years. What is the most important, "best" series name or number (pre naming) ?

Here are some (but not all) options:

Special

Super

Century

Skyhawk

Roadmaster

Limited

Apollo

Gran Sport (Skylark)

Grand National

LeSabre

Electra

Reatta

Riviera

and many more.....

No "right" answer. But try to explain your reason for interest sake.

I don't know really. Just picking Roadmaster seems too easy, or Riviera. Given the totality of Buick, picking the Riviera seems hard. But coming out of the early 60's doldrum, the Riviera would be near the top.

Century was a pretty important car. Gave Buick a boost in the arm in the midst of the Great Depression BUT the Special saved Buick in the 30's.

Limited showed a Buick could hang with the big boys. Grand National (GN) was the fastest production car in 1987.

Considering that "Riviera" started out as the decode for "hardtop", that one might be problematic in some respects, as good of a model name as it later might have been.

"Roadmaster" was morphed into some somewhat unflattering variations by some who didn't like the earlier ones, yet it was a very good car for many satisfied owners.

"Limited", at the time it was first used, was to decode into a very exclusive luxurious vehicle for long-distance travel. As "The Limited" passenger train was back then--NOT for just everybody. In more recent decades, it took somebody from that earlier generation to really know what "Limited" was about as an upper-level trim option.

"Super" just doesn't seem too appropriate as a car model name, but rather it should be the descriptive word to mean "outstanding" or "GGRREEAAAAAATTTTTTT" (as Tony the Tiger used to say).

"Special" was the volume, lower-price model which got lots of people into Buicks in the first place, especially in 1955, but it was "Century" which kept the Buick Performance fires (and tires) burning rubber "on demand". At the time, it was quite an accomplishment to have a car that'd run "The Century Mark". For Buick to name a car that way was very bold and ground-breaking!

Therefore, I'd have to go with "Century".

Unfortunately, with all due respect, the many good names which came in later decades might have their own very-deserved following, but for a "Classy Performer", I perceive that "Century" trumps them all.

Respectfully . . .

NTX5467

Guest 827GFZ73

How about "Regal"? Maybe the older folks remember it as a name used by Studebaker (for years) starting in 1947 with the new postwar car that you don't know whether its coming or going.

Joe

New BCA Member

1973 Buick Regal

Guest my3buicks

I think INVICTA. The name comes across as a strong, powerful name. I think it would be a great name for a flagship touring Buick. I could really see this on a rear drive sedan with block letters.

I have often thought that just ELECTRA might still have some legs, but stay away from the older person sounding Park Avenue, Ultra, etc.

Some of the Buick names mentioned have had great Buick history, but some of them suffered over time when they were not the greatest cars.

I think Century is a great Buick name, but I also think that it conjures up the image of a blue haired little old lady as the Century lost it's way over the years and became the little old person sedan - not saying that they are not good cars, just not the exciting cars that the Century was designed originally.

You have to look at the market and what other companies are using (trends) - what might be a great name in the past might sound kind of silly in today's market. As much as I love the name, Roadmaster would come to mind for an example.

Buick lost it's performance series that was wildly popular and a major image builder over the decades - Century, Invicta, Wildat, Centurion then gone. They tried with some of the T-Types with limited success and again with the "SUPER" name on the Lucerne's and La Cross's but that was just silly sounding. The Invicta I mentioned first could spark that image back into the Buick line.

Of course a 2 door is long overdue in a return to the Buick stable, there have been some very tantalizing concepts such as the Velite and the gull wing Riviera. I think the Riviera name could still be used as long as they play up the strong masculine Rivs of the past and down play the softer more luxo cruisers of the 79-93 vintage (although would love to have any one of those years in my garage) - go after the more cutting edge designs of Riviera's past.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I would have to go with my first instinct and not try to 'overthink' it:

1. Wildcat--sets the Buick image apart from an old man's car to a sporty sedan, coupe or convertible. Hard to imagine a boring Wildcat.

2. Electra--has a mystic charm to it; totally subjective, but thought that car had a "as good as a Cadillac for a LOT less money" reputation to it while it was in production. Don't know if you could somehow sell the '225' extension again, but the name 'Electra' is fine as a standalone name.

3. Riviera--with the exception of the early '80s models that were copies of Toronados and Eldorados, the cars were totally unique, totally Buick throughout their production. In the early '60s, they won over even diehard automotive journalists that had little to no interest in Buicks. The nickname of a "banker's hot rod" said it all.

4. Centurion--an interesting name that was far too short-lived. Had they kept it going, I think it could have been built into a car with a standalone, unique image rather than just an uptrimmed Lesabre. It could have been a more luxurious version of the Wildcat.

Of course, all of these names harken back to a time when a car was a personal extension of the owner's personality, style and likes. These days, cars are looked at as just appliances by too many people. It reminds me of the line from the Dodge Challenger commercial on TV; "that's a Dodge Challenger...it was designed by people who really, really love cars for people who really really love cars to drive past people who really don't care about cars at all..."

I tend to agree with Keith's comments in many respects. Only thing about car series names is that the styling of the vehicle generally needs to reflect the power (or lack thereof) the particular model name. Perhaps this is one reason that as car shapes have become softer (more aerodynamic in the orientation of greater over-the-road fuel economy?) the model designations have morphed into alphanumeric rather than "names"? For example, if you think of what a Mercedes 450SL might look like, you expect to see something that looks like a Mercedes, even if all that might be recognizable is the grille emblem . . . soft, rounded, more angular lines, "blocky" . . . doesn't matter.

Yet when I think of "Wildcat" or "Invicta", I think of cars with a very dynamic front-section profile and shape--aero be damned, THIS car's got enough guts to show that air "I"M the BOSS, here! GIT!". A strong, classy and muscular front grille/fender shape that is instantly-recognizable before the letters "B_U_I_C_K" on the hood might be completely visible. Perhaps this might raise the orientation . . . "Should we name the vehicle first, then shape it, or Shape it and then name it?"

In any event, the vehicle styling needs to be "Worthy of the model name bestowed upon it", to me--somewhat parallel in some aspects. Unfortunately, there have been some fine Buicks which suffered due to a desire to have a different name put upon them than what they probably should have had. Perhaps "Lucerne" could have had a different name, plus a more BOLD Buick styling theme . . . ALL THE WAY TO THE TAILLIGHTS??!!! Opportunities not taken = Opportunities LOST = Poor sales!!

Too many thoughts on that last issue!

NTX5467

Thanks. Interesting comments. Of course, as said, there are no wrong answers. Many of Buicks' series names are 'right' when they were used.

I think my perspective is how the series played out for Buicks long term reputation. So, I considered the Special as the most important name (sort of) because it was a low cost leader in the Great Depression, it offered 8 cylinder power and prestige and likely saved Buick. It allowed Century to even become a name.

When I collect Buicks I am a shill for Roadmaster though.

The Riviera is a name many remember associated with Buick only. I would say Special #1 for it's longevity and how many Buicks it put in the buying publics hands (introduced many to owning a Buick, wherein they moved up the ladder) and Riviera #2 as it represents - as mentioned - so many classis designs. These were "stand alone" designs [think: 1963-65 / 66-67 / 71-3 and so on] that were not corporate and helped identify Buick through several generations.

Guest my3buicks
4. Centurion--an interesting name that was far too short-lived. Had they kept it going, I think it could have been built into a car with a standalone, unique image rather than just an uptrimmed Lesabre. It could have been a more luxurious version of the Wildcat.

The Centurion was the direct replacement for the Wildcat name and was no more an up trimmed LeSabre than the Wildcats that proceeded it. Same basic idea as the Century, Invicta & Wildcat - Buicks big motor in the smaller full size body. Like the Wildcats prior of course more luxurious interiors, unique grill, taillights, badging AND trim. Now in 73 they muddied that up a bit by having the 350 standard in the Centurion, but by then the mighty lineage was coming to an end and the writing was on the wall.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

By the time the Centurion replaced the Wildcat in the model lineup, power and performance were in their waning days due to emission controls and such. Therefore, to me, the 350 being available in the Centurion was probably a marketing move for better fuel economy, as if the BIG engine might hurt sales of that model in a world of 55mph highway speeds.

I saw "Centurion" as bold and aristocratic, even with the 350 V-8. But when they renamed the mid-size car "Regal", I wondered if they really meant "Buick, Regal"?

Great comments!

NTX5467

For me it is Roadmaster....the master of the road.

It really does speak of grandeur and mastery, not only competent but truly superlative as an Automobile experience.

When I tell people (non vintage car folks) that I have a Buick Roadmaster it conveys everything without requirement of a true understanding of what I just referred to.

Roadmaster....to me it is not only a brand name but an adjective to motoring distinction.

Guest 2fit661ca

Which name is the most important? Well, I don't know if I could answer that with my novice knowledge of classic Buicks. From my point of view, I guess the most important would be different depending on the decade, or an even smaller portion of time. A lot of Buicks played an important roll in Buick's success.

Now given the "opportunity" to choose which name Buick revives, I'd have to say the two that would likely grab the most attention would be either GSX or GNX. Today's "modern" society seems to respond very well to names that are a random selection of letters or numbers to the uneducated. BMW 7 series, Lexus GS350, Mercedes SL500, Cadilllac CTS; etc... It would make a person feel as though they are driving a premium car. On top of that, the car would be obligated to perform well, be produced in limited numbers, and carry some of Buick's signature design ques; full width tail lights, waterfall grill, ...maybe even a super6 or only one color option (and of course, only 2 doors). If Buick could successfully produce a car like that, I think it would have a good shot at becoming the most important car of Buick for today.

On the other hand, Centurion and Invicta are both names that fit the image Buick is shooting for; Enclave, LaCrosse, Lucerne. They were both great cars in the past and have been out of production long enough that most people don't even know what they are. And if Buick messed it up, they could stop production early and avoid tainting the name; which would allow it's re-use later in the future.

Riviera is great name that fits the current Buick image well, but it's most recent production was too recent with to little popularity. Alot of people will hear the name and not give a second glance.

Roadmaster is great if you're into old or big cars, but it's a name that is far too outdated. Enclave, Traverse, Terrain, Solstice, ...Roadmaster? It sounds more like something that would ride along side the Chevy Cruze. And of course they'd have to spell it funky as well, like Rodemastre... I love the Roadmaster, but it's a part of history, and honestly, I think that's where it will stay... I'd rather not have the name tainted.

Guest Rob McDonald

Over the many years I've had mine, it's been called Roadmonster, Roadsmasher, Toadsmasher. Talk about a tainted name! Hard to mess with "Century". You guys are convincing me, though, that I N V I C T A would look mighty fine on the flank of a rear-drive, hardtop convertible coupe, with razor-edge styling recalling the '63-'65 Riverboat (sorry, another dumb nickname). Silver, with silver leather and a full cord of birds-eye maple trim.

I concur with 2fit, the perception of "Roadmaster" to the "un-__________" masses of more recent times would have a different meaning than to us. IF they did seem to recognize the name, they'd probably use the default mode definition for, seemingly, ALL older Buicks . . . BIG, soft-handling, and THIRSTY -- even as much as those conspicuous consumption orientations might have been back then, for the upper-crust who could easily afford those things, that's not going to fit too well with current times, I suspect. We might well know that the last iteration of Roadmaster could easily hit low or mid-20mpg on the highway, but 20 years later 30mpg (as the last LeSabres would easily do) highway fuel economy, but the future's going to be closer to 40mpg, so even the last-gen Roadmaster might not be that much better in the eyes of future consumers.

"Roadmaster" might be a better description of BMWs, in the modern world. Tight Euro-oriented handling, 30+ highway mpg with outstanding acceleration getting there, "right-sized" for more inner-city use, and carefree (included) maintenance during the basic vehicle warranty period (there's a hidden reason for this) . . . BUT you might have to travel 100 miles to a dealership if you're not in a metro area. So, "Roadmaster" is now more about handling mastery with the occupant "wrapped" in leather accomodations rather than a "no-effort" power this and that spacious interior (reservations for 5?), a ride that is as smoooooth at 15mph as it is at 75mph, with a powerful engine and smoooooth transmission to make it all happen. It's a different world now, a different consumer, and BMW seems to have been more adaptable to that as they've progressed since the first 3-Series cars hit the USA docks--genrally under the radar of many in the USA car industry.

The other thing is that there are now MANY "roadmasters" for sale today as new vehicles, whether they be Cadillac CTSs, Inifinity G35s, Corvettes, BMWs, Jaguars, or you branch out into the many All Wheel Drive Audi Quattros, "consumer" SUVx, or even Jeep CJs. Therefore, it would seem for Buick to claim, via a model name, that they have THE Roadmaster might be somewhat out of place as the general consumer, who might use the more literal interpretation of "Roadmaster", might just laugh, especially at one of their friends who'd just purchased an AWD Buick and tried to take it to obviously inappropriate places "on road". So, "Roadmaster" might have been a great model name, with lots of Buick history under it's retention dowels, but not really relevant to more modern consumers in our modern world, I suspect.

"INVICTA" has a theatrical sound to it, even if you're just mentioning it in normal conversation. It gets peoples' attention, for one reason or another--either it's different or they seem to remember it from somewhere. No real connotations of grandeur or pomp as other Buick names, but hard consonants give it a dynamicicism that needs hard folds and creases and LINES in sheet metal (rather than smoooothness of coutours) to really make the car and the name to be ONE. To me, the Buicks which bore that model name had these attributes and they all fit together rather well, moreso in the 1959 and 1960 models, though.

Now, the task would be to get the stylists to be able to pen and execute such designs in our modern world where "smooth = less expensive" and "contours rather than 'edges'" and "exterior ornamental curved moldings = additional build expense". Think where we'd be IF those same logics had been in place in the 1950s! But then, too, if the "We can't do that, it costs too much" had not kept electronic Fuel Injection from being standard equipment, look how much fuel might have been saved over the years until emissions regulations seemed to make these things necessary rather than optional. What can be seen or felt (additional foam in the seat cushions, for example), sells. What can't be seen or bragged about usually doesn't (Triple Turbine DynaFlow, Switch-Pitch torque converters, AirPoise, for example).

I realize that this thread started out as a "Best Buick Name", it's now evolved into "What WE Liked Then" and/or "What WE'd Like To See In The Future" thread. There have been some neat and great comments, though, which is what it's all about.

And this thread ALSO hit just as a large part of the nation was plunged into Arctic Cold, with many at home rather than at work, so it's worked out pretty well!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest 53Nailhead

All great names, but have to go with Roadmaster

However sometimes at shows people are not familiar with the model names and BUICK says it all.........

Guest Rob McDonald

NITTIX, excellent wordsmithsmanship in support of INVICTA! i'm convinced. Cancel my vote for Century.

Remember the very last stand-alone Mercury model, the Cougar of about ten years ago? That little thing had razor-sharp creases, where all others had blobs. I always marvelled at how flawless the metalwork appeared on those cars. Could Ford (Quality Is Job None) really have done it that well? Surely, this is just a captive import from Mitsubishi or something, I thought.

Any tin-basher will tell you that you have to snap a crease - a centre brake - in a sheet metal panel to make it strong and sit flat. Could that be why these Cougars look so well tailored? The technology is there and it must be cost-effective because these were pretty cheap cars.

Cadillac's "Art and Science" origami look is having good success - Buick really ought to give it another try.

post-59990-143138431951_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138431952_thumb.jpg

All of the Buick names of yore have a special significance, in one way or another. I think the Skylark was one of the most important names and to me always evokes the mid-sixties 2 doors, especially 66-67 models, even though I've never owned one.

Now that Buick is back on track to building more attractive, desirable cars again, maybe a few more great names of the past can return???? We can only hope and dream.......

Guest Skyking
I love the Roadmaster, but it's a part of history, and honestly, I think that's where it will stay... I'd rather not have the name tainted.

I agree with the above on all the late, great names. Whether we like it or not, the good old days are long gone. That's why we all have one thing in common, we collect old cars......................

Roadmaster.. Just can't beat being the master of the road in such boats as these. My grandfather owns a '94 Roadmaster Wagon. Probably one of my favorite cars he owns. Somewhere in it's life, it had a set of Flow-masters put on... that may or may bot help with how much I like it.. ;):D