Desert Car Kings ~Discovery TV

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

I just caught the first "Desert Car Kings" show on Discovery Cable TV~~~

Well~~~ We finally got the "car restoration" show that we have all been asking for all these years ~~~

Well~~~ SORT OF ?

This brand-New Discovey Cable TV show is about a Father & Son who own and operate a desert junkyard/scrapyard who are just getting into the "classic car restoration business".

It's a new "Reality Show !"

Trying to cash-in too ~~~ I suspect ?

The first show sees them pullng a fairly solid 1965 T-Bird out of a junkyard and doing what THEY call a "Total Restoration" .

The Father wants to "Restore" this T-Bird~~~

The Son wants to part-it-out for big money $$$.

The typical "Reality Show" arguments then begin~~~

The Father finally wins the argument and the "Restoration" fun begins !

So much for the typical "Reality Show"family conflict dynamics ~

"Restoration" is such an over-used word today~~~

Basically all they do is get the car barely running & do a cheap quickie slap-dash paint job and some minor interior repairs~~~

One quarter panel is painted so bad it does not cover the old paint & primer.

The new paint is in fact sprayed over the car's old finish !

This they call a "Totally Restored " T-bird.

The Son said~~~ After all it's really the new paint & a nice interior that sells a "Restored Car" ! ! !

To ME this is just like putting lipstick on a farm pig~~~

In the end it is still a PIG !

(I have to thank Gov. Sarah Palin for that one !)

They scrounge for needed parts in their junkyard, and at a reproduction & NOS T-Bird parts supplier~~~ and send some chrome off to a very cheap chrome plater~~~

The "Fully Restored" car is fully completed in two weeks ~~~

Yes~~~ TWO WEEKS !

Don't you wish all your "Total Restorations" went that quickly ?

Heaven help the person who finally buys this as a "Fully Restored" 1965 T-Bird !

Next they take this "totally restored" T-Bird, their words ~~~Not Mine, to an old used junker car auction, NOT a true collector car auction, where they try to "Flip-It' for a big profit $$$ !

In the end they wind-up loosing about $1000. on this first "Restoration" attempt.

OH WELL~~~

Better luck next time !

They also found $450. worth of Native American Silver & Turquoise jewelry in the trunk of a junked car in their scrapyard and get it appraised by "Experts" !

Next they find a set of old golf-clubs & irons in the locked trunk of an old Caddy along with a clear woman's 1970s umbrella.

OH BROTHER ~~~

More "Reality Show" drama !

The show was just OK~~~

In my opinion another typical trumped-up "Reality Show" !

Did I learn anything about car restoration from this show ?

Yes~~~

What NOT to do on a so-called "TOTAL CAR" restoration;~~~

And I also learned what some people call a "Totally Restored Car" !

Did anyone else watch this first episode ?

What were YOUR opinions on this so-called "classic car restoration show" ?

AND~~~

Would you in fact ever watch it again ?

I will~~~~

BUT~~~

Only if nothing better is on cable or PBS that night !

What we still need is a REAL CAR RESTORATION SHOW !

NOT~~~ another contrived "Reality & Restoration Show" !

Now I fear that since this show has aired on national TV Everyone & his Brother will be wanting to do similar so-called

"Car Restorations" and "Car Flipping !"

I can see the Craigslist adverts already !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards

All of those shows considered by the media as being "reality shows" are contrived even to the point of being similarly scripted. Flip from one to another and often the dialog is exactly the same. No originality, just cookie cutter TV. I don't waste much time on those shows for that reason. Who needs to spend time watching essentially a rerun of some other show? I know I don't!

Jim

I too took the time to watch last night, thinking with a bit of luck it would be something to watch in the future. Wrong... When I watch TV any more I watch to learn something or experience something. I find that as TV shows in general have repeated the same premise so often it all looks the same. I also believe that they really could put together a show that one would find interest in the only problem is that it won't draw enough to pay the bills. Such a shame, I tend to watch a lot more PBS lately. Scott...

Saw it in the listings and taped it to watch tonight. Too bad this does not sound much better than previous efforts BUT at least they are apparently:

-not chopping, rodding, or pimping

-showing that you can lose money and not that slapdash car restoration is an automatic ticket to making a quick buck.

I will watch and see, Todd C

Haven't seen it. I'll have to ty to find it. If it's about old cars I'll watch it if only to add to my aggravation level. I even recorded the B-J auction so I can fast-forward through it and look at the few antiques/true classics they show.

Don

Wow! those guys are really fast. They were so fast the camera man missed the body coming off the frame, the engine, trans, rear end, brakes, suspension all being rebuilt. This gives a new meaning to the word restore. This is great information for the newbe trying to get into the hobby. I can hear him now " I know what it takes to restore a car" and Your price is too high!

They should have called the show Flip My Car.

Don

Wow! those guys are really fast. They were so fast the camera man missed the body coming off the frame, the engine, trans, rear end, brakes, suspension all being rebuilt. This gives a new meaning to the word restore. This is great information for the newbe trying to get into the hobby. I can hear him now " I know what it takes to restore a car" and Your price is too high! They should have called the show Flip My Car. Don

Hello Don (and everyone), I finally watched the show and agree with this comment about the car being said to be "fully restored." I wish I could also "fully restore" such a car in two weeks for $4500 or so.

I stand by my earlier remark that at least they were "not chopping, rodding, or pimping" and would add that I would hope impressionable viewers notice that their full time staff and 10,000 car junkyard gives them an advantage in sourcing parts for a quickie "restoration" and that the viewer cannot do the same in two weeks by himself at home. Todd C

I watched it last night after the NHL All Star Game and before the ProBowl. Pretty much a wasted day.

The odd thing is that with the numbers of folks in our hobby, and the MONEY people in our hobby spend, that there isn't a single quality "how to" show on the air. At least not that I have found.

DIY used to have Classic Car restoration that was pretty good I thought. Chop Cut Rebuild? Umm not really. Overhaulin'? Nah.

The odd thing is that with the numbers of folks in our hobby, and the MONEY people in our hobby spend, that there isn't a single quality "how to" show on the air. At least not that I have found.

DIY used to have Classic Car restoration that was pretty good I thought.

I agree that one would think a quality show would be developed. My Classic Car was good at one time, but that was long ago. I also liked the show on DIY, must have been short lived. Todd

I agree that one would think a quality show would be developed. My Classic Car was good at one time, but that was long ago. I also liked the show on DIY, must have been short lived. Todd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Todd, there seems to have been in general a dumbing down in programming and what you think your tuning into is not what your getting. My wife tells me that some of the stations we used to watch are owned by the same companies. The travel station has very little to do with travel, or the things you should know while traveling. If your into gardening or home repair, HGTV or DIY are now showing very little in the way of the subject of such, but sometime concentrate fast makeovers (like this Thunderbird that was done) or say two contractors fighting with each other instead of what it takes to do a stone wall or a tile job. The gardening thing is completely gone. No explanation of soil testing, type of light, what plants do best, where not to plant a tree ect. There used to be shows on those sites that did just that, but are gone. Fit TV so I am told was the latest (Jan) to take almost all ( remove them to the wee hours ) the exercise programs off . Speed channel as Todd has said, is one of the worst.

I will just say that all of those stations were once very good. The only show that I will watch is This Old House. The core crew on that show is the real deal. They are all contractors and their subs are too. They speak my language and they don't go around and play grab axx with each other. They spend the time TEACHING and not trying to entertain. I hope no one messes with their formula.

Don

Guest bofusmosby

I missed this first episode, and now I wonder if I'll miss the next one. I am new to this, and even I know that a true restoration takes a lot of time AND money. Let me ask you guys something. Is there anything in writing that spells it out exactly WHAT a true restoration is? If there is, I haven't seen it. If thwere isn't, then someone should sit down and compile an outline as to what proceedures should actually done. Something for the pros to show to the newbes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only show that I will watch is This Old House. The core crew on that show is the real deal. They are all contractors and their subs are too. They speak my language and they don't go around and play grab axx with each other. They spend the time TEACHING and not trying to entertain. I hope no one messes with their formula.

Don

Old cars I am new to. BUT, I am in the process to doing a complete restoration on my historical old house myself. The part that I do not like about "this old house" is that they take a nice old house, replace the old wood windows, take a wall out and add another one somewhere else, removing some (if not all) of the historic character of the place, and making a modern house for the homeowners. There was one a while back that the new homeowners wanted all their woodwork painted! (arg) If the homeowners want a new type of house, then why not just buy a new house, and don't but an old house and destroy it character. To me, its like chopping and lowering an old car, and installing a digital instrument panel.

Hi Jim, there are a number of books about auto restoration but they often only cover one area of work-- mechanical, body & paint, upholstery, etc. A good overall guide is the Matt Joseph book "Collector Car Restoration Bible" but even it does not cover everything.

Of course a full restoration means the car would be entirely disassembled and every component, every nut and bolt, would be either restored or replaced and the car reassembled more or less in the order it was original built. But your mention of old home renovation seems a good comparison, and like restoring an old house the restoration definition is rarely followed completely--if the owner determines an assembly is reusable without complete disassembly it is often so done. If a modification is thought to be desirable it is often added, much like installing a modern kitchen in a 1920s Craftsman bungalow per your observation. Standards vary from owner to owner, era to era, purpose to purpose. I have a 1957 Pontiac that I endeavored to restore completely myself from the frame up. It has taken 15 years and is not yet done--too much time, work and cost to be enjoyable to most. Unlike mine, your Pontiac has been drivable since you bought it so you did the smart thing and chose to preserve it without a full restoration and enjoy it even though it is not in perfect condition. It seems rather the difference between a historic renovation and the Craftsman bungalow. My 1957 is painstakingly renovated but cannot be "lived in" and still begins to age before it is even complete. Your 1938 "bungalow" cannot justify the cost of the full renovation but can be an enjoyable "home" with character and charm and can actually be used and enjoyed. At least that is how it seems to me, a full restoration includes every nut and bolt and it moves with degrees down from there. Todd

Old cars I am new to. BUT, I am in the process to doing a complete restoration on my historical old house myself. The part that I do not like about "this old house" is that they take a nice old house, replace the old wood windows, take a wall out and add another one somewhere else, removing some (if not all) of the historic character of the place, and making a modern house for the homeowners. There was one a while back that the new homeowners wanted all their woodwork painted! (arg) If the homeowners want a new type of house, then why not just buy a new house, and don't but an old house and destroy it character. To me, its like chopping and lowering an old car, and installing a digital instrument panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point I was trying to make was they teach the proper way to do a job without all the fooling around. As far as replacing some things not back to original such as a wall or kitchen remodel that part is up to the homeowner, not the crew. As far as some of the other modifications go; many times you have to conform to current building standards to get approval before you can get a building permit to bring a house up to code to start a renovation and sometimes (depending where you live) that includes plumbing, electrical, heating/air conditioning, insulation factors-including sometimes glass. I speak from experience of not only having done many cars, but many houses too.

Back to car shows, I have only seen one engine build from start to finish. That was only a engine assembly. They didn't show the tear down, what to look for as far as wear, how to measure so that you know what to machine/ or tell your machinist what you want done, or how to measure your machinist work after his job is finished (very important and overlooked by many). In the build I saw (Hotrod TV 455 Pontiac) the hosts made me cringe as the cam was put in and the timing cover was installed, also the simple installation of the oil pan forced over the oil pump pick up. Those guys were just actors. Before I retired and was working in engineering all of our training films had our technicians doing whe work. A tech in the dealership when viewing knows the difference with the real deal.

It's like a bunch of us surfers watching James Darren pretend to surf in the studio in the movie Gidget, and then seeing the real thing a half second later at the beach with Mickey Dora as the double doing it correctly.

Don

Couldn't agree more, Jim!!

Dale

Edited by 30 Hupp
added info. (see edit history)

You make some good points, Jim, but realistically speaking, nobody's going to go back to lath and plaster, counter-weighted windows, knob and tube wire, coal fired heaters,lead and iron plumbing, open-a-window cooling,ice block refrigeration,asbestos everywhere. I could go on but I would lose your interest just like the core crew if they had to do it this way. when you restore your old house, are you wiring it for computers so you can stay on these forums?

Guest bofusmosby

I see your point Dave. Some things for safty purposes. BUT, yes, I am repairing the plaster the old fashioned way, with the lath and plaster. I am also restoring all the windows with the weights operational. The windows have already lasted over 100 years, and are going to be good for many years to come. There is still a small amount of the knob-and-tube wiring active, but it is only used for the scounces on the walls (low currect draw).

I guess it would be like installing seat-belts to an old car for safety purposes. This I can see. But one does not chop and lower a car for these reasons. If a person wants this, then don't buy a survivor, and destroy its character. There are plenty of these vehicles out there that have already been altered. I see too many of these modified cars for sale on the market, where the owner got tired of his project ONLY after making these destructive mods.

I grew up in a large Gingerbread Victorian. It was always white and reminded you of a wedding cake. The new owners turned it into a B&B and tarted it up with greys and purples to look like a Cape May Victorian. Irritates me every time I pass it. I feel the same about antique cars.

I really liked the DIY shows. I felt that Mark Lambert and Steve Magnante were very easy to watch. Mark had the manner of a great high school teacher and Steve to me seemed like a big brother, both willing to show others how to enjoy the hobby. (I never caught the shows with Ron Ananian). The cars were rebuilt as nice driver quality vehicles and after each episode I ran out to the garage and knocked out a project of my own. Heck, sometimes I WATCHED the show in the garage!

I think I viewed the Corvette, Mustang, Thunderbird and Packard series three or four times through. I really miss this show.

If a person wants this, then don't buy a survivor, and destroy its character. There are plenty of these vehicles out there that have already been altered. I see too many of these modified cars for sale on the market, where the owner got tired of his project ONLY after making these destructive mods.

Amen to that, I could not agree more and glad to see someone else also feels this way! This is one of the biggest dangers to the hobby today IMO.

Re-reading my comments about home refurbishing it could appear I was making the case for modern modifications and that was not my intent relative to the old cars. Haphazard mods inspired by TV shows and showmen are damaging old cars every day in this manner and anything that can be a source of GOOD input would be welcome.

Maybe Steve from the DIY show could break away from the auction stage and do another show. I thought that was a good one and liked him and especially the other guy mentioned by GrayCav.

OR maybe on his show Dennis Gage could break away from the leadsleds and come back around to some positive influence and encourage a few cars to be spared the torch for a change. What do you say Dennis?

I really liked the DIY shows. I felt that Mark Lambert and Steve Magnante were very easy to watch. Mark had the manner of a great high school teacher and Steve to me seemed like a big brother, both willing to show others how to enjoy the hobby. (I never caught the shows with Ron Ananian). The cars were rebuilt as nice driver quality vehicles and after each episode I ran out to the garage and knocked out a project of my own. Heck, sometimes I WATCHED the show in the garage!

I think I viewed the Corvette, Mustang, Thunderbird and Packard series three or four times through. I really miss this show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched the series of shows that Ron Ananian did referbishing (not restoring) on a red Alfa Romero. When it came time to get to the engine he decided to remove the fuel injection and run carburetors from a earlier model . While this may solve his problem of not being able to deal with fuel injection and evaporative emission, by his presence on TV showing this illegal operation has in my state had many of us worried. In my state emisson testing is required on 1976 to present vehicles. Cars with exhaust controls (1966 to present) are required to have all their emisson controls on the cars and working. Even though the state is not testing 1966-1975 cars they are still part of the system and can be pulled back into the testing program at any time. This show exposes these modification possibilities to law makers and enviromental advocates to would like to include these years back into testing. The law says that a vehicle must have all the equipment it came with from the factory. The exceptions would be CARB certified equipment. There has been constant battles in this area for years in my state. Now that the schools have taught our kids that cars are bad things it's only a matter of time that our past legislative efforts will eventually be defeated.

I say if you do a TV show to please show the correct way do it. Pass along the message of the legal implications in regards to the law.

I was wondering if AACA judges know that a 1966 Pontiac GTO made for sale in California is supposed to have a air pump and 49 state cars do not? Another question is; Is this a points deduction if it's not there?

Don

My house was built in 1920. If I had to return it to its original state it would have a candlestick phone or a wall mount wooden phone. can you imagine trying to crank up the operator to put your call through manually?

To 1937hd45, there is still a lot of knob and tube wire around these old houses as it is exceeding ly difficult and expensive to replace, especially the lighting. It's not really dangerous but it's getting harder to get fire insurance. I can see repairing it in small areas but if you're completely gutting a house anyway you'd be a fool not to use modern wire. The same goes for plaster.

Guest bofusmosby
My house was built in 1920. If I had to return it to its original state it would have a candlestick phone or a wall mount wooden phone. can you imagine trying to crank up the operator to put your call through manually?

To 1937hd45, there is still a lot of knob and tube wire around these old houses as it is exceeding ly difficult and expensive to replace, especially the lighting. It's not really dangerous but it's getting harder to get fire insurance. I can see repairing it in small areas but if you're completely gutting a house anyway you'd be a fool not to use modern wire. The same goes for plaster.

The old knob-and-tube wiring was actually very safe and still is if in good condition. One drawback is the high currect demands of todays appliances. The other being that no ground is possible. I can understand not wanting to use an old crank type phone (I'd like to find one though), but these are additions to the house. Its like if you have an old car, and you plug in a "nav" system. This doesn't change the old car, it just adds modern converiences to it. Nothing wrong with that. It can always be removed. BUT to "chop" a car, well, that can not be reversed too easily.

If changes are made to an old house, or an old car, these changes should be easily reversed by the next owner if desired. After all, we actually never own an item, we are just care-takers of these while we are here on this earth. After we are gone, these items will still be here for the next generation(s).

I was wondering if AACA judges know that a 1966 Pontiac GTO made for sale in California is supposed to have a air pump and 49 state cars do not? Another question is; Is this a points deduction if it's not there?

Don

I would suppose that some of the judges would be aware of the emissions requirements of the era, but determining if the car was originally a CA vehicle without owner disclosure or sales documents/window sticker would be problematic.

Guest Silverghost

I don't know how we got so far off the original thread topic I posted here about the Discovery Cable TV show Desert Car Kings.

It seems this thread has morphed into being about OLD HOUSES which is not at all AUTO related and has NOTHING to do with the Original THREAD TITLE !

Let's try to get this thread back on topic of auto related restoration TV shows ~~~

and especially Desert Car KIngs !

Did anyone see episode #2 last night on the Olds 442 "Restoration" ?

I don't know how we got so far off the original thread topic I posted here about the Discovery Cable TV show Desert Car Kings.

It seems this thread has morphed into being about OLD HOUSES which is not at all AUTO related and has NOTHING to do with the Original THREAD TITLE !

Lets try to get this thread back on topic of auto related restoration TV shows ~~~

and especially Desert Car KIngs !

Did anyone see episode #2 last night on the 442 "Restoration" ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This topic morphed because TV shows do a bad job of covering a topic. They bring in people who know just enought of the subject to fool the uninitiated, but enought to upset people in the know. It happens in all subject matter on TV. I did see the 442 and I guess the body isn't coming off the frame on that one either.

Don

I've watched both episodes.

A run down of the second episode (Olds 442 "restored"):

"Dad" goes into his personal garage and decides to drive his Olds 442 to work. This reminds him that he's got a Olds 442 sitting outside in his private yard.

He and the son disagee about the fate of the cars sitting in the private yard...son wants to sell parts, but dad wants to keep them in tact. This goes on for a couple of minutes while they look over the 442.

They tow it back to the shop where they tell the crew they have 3 weeks to "restore" the car and they're told it needs to be 100% original as it left the factory..."perfect." You'll see a few shots of them working on it and it being painted, but that's about it. You really have no idea what they are actually doing to the car or where the parts are really coming from.

They then make a trip to a 442 collectors house and buy a "his and hers" shifter that they have trouble installing in the car.

The show morps into a comparison of the dad's (finished) yellow 442 and the white one they are "restoring" and they end up drag racing each other at the end of the show.

At some point in between a customer rolls into the yard with a Chevelle SS 396 and is looking for a fuel gauge. They make a trip to a Chevelle only to discover that it is home to 5 rattlesnakes.

Most of the show is then spent dealing with the snakes before they actually have the auction and also with their advertising campaign for the car. In the end, the car sells for something like $14k. Buyer and seller were both happy.

Guest Silverghost

I just played-back my cable DVR recording of show #2 over lunch hour.

#2 show~~~Olds 442

This time they "Restored" an Olds 442 in three weeks .

WOW~~~

Another Magic Miracle "Restoration"

The scrapyard Father/owner took great pains to mock the fact that his Olds/442 Collector friend & his son took three years to restore one of their 442 s !

" They took three years to restore their 442~~~We are Restoring ours in Three Weeks ! "

(Shure you are ! )

I'll take the Olds 442 collector's "Restoration" any day of the week over their Three Week "Restoration" !

Again more "Reality Show" drama with a nest of 5 Rattle Snakes in a parts car~~~

I can live without this drama ~~~can't you ?

Magically in the middle of the show a totally re-built & re-painted Olds 442 engine appears being dropped-into the project car.

No mention how much it cost to re-build this magic engine.

Their body & paint work again fall very short~~~Again.

The panel fit of the right front fender top to the door was very wide and un-equal !

There were other body issues also.

They install another rare shifter assembly without cleaning off the rust first~~~ This shows later inside the car !

Again they took this car to that same "Used Car Auction" and claimed this time they actually made money on this "Three Week Restoration" !

Hey Guys~~~ What did that 442 engine rebuild cost you ?

Did you factor this cost into your final total "Restoration" price ?

I doubt it !

AND~~~

What about the brakes, exhaust , transmission, & much much more etc, you forgot to mention on the show ?

AND~~~

Where do you find high quality & cheap reproduction interior kits and a cheap interior guy's labor charges to install them and a new vinyl top ; to come in under your final auction selling price; and bwe able to still make money ?

Chalk this all up to another "Reality Show" Magic Miracle~~~I guess !

They CLAIM to have made good money on the "Restoration" this time~~~

BUT~~~

There are many missing "Restoration" costs here I suspect~~~

But HEY~~~

This is "Reality TV"~~~

Not TRUE REALITY here !

The Magic of TV~~~

I guess ?

What was YOUR OPINION on show #2 ?

The OLDS 442 Show~~~

I watched the 442 project right up to the point were the "Expert" told the crew they had a time limit for the "Restoration" and wrote the project "Budget" was $10,000 on a chalk board. I couldn't stop laughing and went back to list parts on eBay. Guess the restoration staff are in prision or slave laborers.