55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Wow, nice job!!! Are you able to put the column on over the steering shaft with the gear in place? I had to assemble it all together. Amazing job, and thanks for detailing in video. It is one thing to do it all. It is another to stop and record the fact.

I hope so? That's how I took it apart. (There might be another video if I can't with some Bleep, Bleep editing) Mud

I made a little floor space today. Mud :o

Thought someone must have given me an early Xmas present..........Went running up to my shed excitedly expecting to see my 55 sitting there with it's engine in and all nice and shiny......but nothing there..........RATS!

Looking spectacular Mud.

Guest Rob McDonald

MUD, that big lump of green kind of looks like it belongs there. Bet it feels good. When to we get to see and hear first fire, in the chassis?

Photos and videos can be deceiving. From the quality I have seen at the Buick Nationals, I’m just trying to get close!

I think your being more than modest there. I and maybe many others that follow your thread/progress and are restoring their own project(s) hope that they can turn out something as nice. It looks great. Scott...

• 2 weeks later...
Photos and videos can be deceiving. From the quality I have seen at the Buick Nationals, I’m just trying to get close!

Yes, photos can be deceiving but meticulous work includes assuring mechanical items are functioning as designed. Bench testing. Use of pressure gauges while testing, etc. The attention to detail such as the yellow mark on the PS unit. The paint work looks excellent from where I'm sitting. Looking forward to seeing this 55 rolling!

I pulled the drivers door out of the basement last week. I ordered some door hinge bushings that measure very close to what I need. Won't know until they get here. Ran a long block over the door. It is not as perfect as I thought. When I get the bushings I can mount the door and see what fits and what don't. Mud

post-50945-143142337579_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14314233759_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142337601_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142337612_thumb.jpg

Looks like it is about as good as it gets. Gently tap down the high spots and use filler. The 55 Buick sheet metal is fairly thin and has some temper and is very easy to stretch...then you have a real mess on your hands. The techniques you developed on the Model T's mostly will not work here. With that said, go ahead and show me how to really do it :D.

Willie

Looks like it is about as good as it gets. Gently tap down the high spots and use filler. The 55 Buick sheet metal is fairly thin and has some temper and is very easy to stretch...then you have a real mess on your hands. The techniques you developed on the Model T's mostly will not work here. With that said, go ahead and show me how to really do it :D.

Willie

I know when I'm over my head. I had my left 1/4 panel worked on by a Pro. If I can't get it right I will not hesitate to call him. Mud

...makes it look easy or easy if you know what you are doing!

I was having trouble holding the welder tip at the right place when spot-welding. Sometimes I would get a good weld in the right place and sometimes not. I cut a piece of copper water pipe, split it then put a notch in it. That way I can put it in place and just pull the trigger. The welds are way more consistent than before. Mud

post-50945-143142350653_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142350664_thumb.jpg

I wonder if you could duct tape a piece of copper to a magnet that would hold the copper under the spot to be welded. Just thinking. I know the tape would burn/melt off, but still the magnet should hold it in place, maybe.

Keep on keeping on,

Dale in Indy

P.S. Ok, I see what you are doing now, I was thinking you needed copper back up to prevent burn-through. Doesn't the sleeve around the feeder adjust up and down, mine does, and this greatly aids in control of distance on mine. copper

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

I wonder if you could duct tape a piece of copper to a magnet that would hold the copper under the spot to be welded. Just thinking. I know the tape would burn/melt off, but still the magnet should hold it in place, maybe.

Keep on keeping on,

Dale in Indy

P.S. Ok, I see what you are doing now, I was thinking you needed copper back up to prevent burn-through. Doesn't the sleeve around the feeder adjust up and down, mine does, and this greatly aids in control of distance on mine. copper

Yes I could, but this way I can still see the wire and place it right over the seam. Anyway, it really helped. I wish I would have thought of it before I did the rockers. Mud

Something looks familiar here?

Yes, anyone who has ever restored a fifty’s car has most likely done this same repair. When I went to get my driver’s license in the family car (1956 Buick Century) it did not pass the inspection. One headlight was out. My mom drove me back home and I pulled out the headlight to find that is was so rusty it would not make a ground for the headlight. I had to run a wire from the headlight bucket to the inner fender so the light would work. The headlight bezel would not screw back on as the holes were all rusted out so I duct taped the bezel on so we could drive back up and get my license. You have to do what you have to do. Mud

Yes, anyone who has ever restored a fifty’s car has most likely done this same repair. When I went to get my driver’s license in the family car (1956 Buick Century) it did not pass the inspection. One headlight was out. My mom drove me back home and I pulled out the headlight to find that is was so rusty it would not make a ground for the headlight. I had to run a wire from the headlight bucket to the inner fender so the light would work. The headlight bezel would not screw back on as the holes were all rusted out so I duct taped the bezel on so we could drive back up and get my license. You have to do what you have to do. Mud

Just got back from giving my 56 a kiss!

I was eluding to the donor piece Mud. I sent one to someone a long long time ago, is this it. If so, did I send you the wrong side? :confused:

I'm not sure where it came from. It very well could be from you. Maybe I repaired the wrong fender! Yikes, I better go down and take a look at the other one. Mud :P