The New Classics?

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

I am a regular but new member and do most of my posting on the Reatta Forum. I'm a writer, artist, musician type, so I can go on. Forgive me. What I want to talk about is applying more and more, day after day to many of us. The subject of the Classic car.

I'm not that old or young (49) but traditionally I always consider the cars 0f the 50's, 60's & 70's to be the cars to seek out, fix up and drive. These are what I consider "real cars". A car w/o a catalytic converter or a computer, probably with bias ply tires and a big honkin V8 in it. The last one of these real cars I owned was a 1966 Chevy Impala SS around 2001. It was simple to work on and reletively easy to find parts for... and thats why I considerered it a "real car".

I started driving in 1978 and the cars I was buying used were from the 60's and early 70's. As I got older and making more money (at the time) I started buying New cars. They were dependable and fast and I no longer spent my weekends and weeknights working on my cars.

But now, this thing called the Depression came along and hit me pretty hard and I had to start buying used cars again. Except now its 20 years later! Ahhh! All those cool easy to work on cars require a second mortgage to get and I cant even pay my first! A nice simple slant 6 Dodge Dart can cost Thousands!

So I traded my last new car... a $24,000 2004 MINI Cooper for a $500 1985 Dodge Diplomat with only 85,000 miles on it and crossed my fingers. I got a check for $10,000 to go with it.

I am very familiar with Mopars and figured that this would help me service and maintain the thing, and it did. I still have it and it is still my daily driver. There is nothing like a V8, even in mid 80'd emmision controlled form. But it isnt going to last forever, but it seems the depression will sometimes...

So fast foward to 2010. Today. Wow. You need a degree in computer science to even figure out the simplest things on a car 20 years old. Now I cant just buy a car, a set of plugs, wires and points, throw a new air and fuel filter in and go. My horn just stopped working and I dont have the slightest idea where to begin.

I know that most of us may not consider cars from the 80 & 90's as collectible or restore worthy, but these are the cars that are at our disposal. These are tommorows 55 Chevy and 69 Mustang, like it or not. I'm not that happy about it, but the feeling is just like when I was younger. Back in 1978 or so I bought a 1969 GS400 for $1450, now a similar car has 5 numbers in its price tag.

The simple entry level "fixer upper" is dead. You cant just buy a car anymore bring it home and fix it up. Electronic manuals have to found and figured out. You must learn to speak in the launguage of "ALPHA"... "just plug the BCM into the OBD and check the ECM connector 52 while pushing the heater and radio button at the same time" Yeesh, I might as well bought a Pinball machine or an old Atari video game.

Now, I admit I may be behind the times and perhaps this is all this is about. I am quite computer saavy, however. I'm a Graphic Designer, Web Developer, Video producer, Multi Media manager for Bill Mitchell's World Products and all that jazz... But an electrical genius I am not. Coming up with the money to pay my mechanic to fix this stuff isnt happening anytime soon it seems.

This all in the long run has me a well, amused at best, annoyed at worst. I am not sure what I am more mad at, the car or myself. Yes, it occurs to me that perhaps, the younger people buying these cars as entry level cars may be more "comfortable" with a fully electronic car. but as our hobby grows it will grow to include thes cars that will become tommorows classics.

Soon enough, if not already, on board computers will be the things in our catalogs, not stainless steel tail fins or rare intake manifolds. A headlight switch for my 1990 Reatta goes for $500 bucks now, which is how much I paid for my 1985 Dodge that I drive everyday. Now I find myself coveting relays, sensors and the knowledge to diagnose them like I used desire a Super Sport Hupcap or used bucket seat.

What will the new classics be? Which one of these rolling computers will be The Best In Show one day? Just like in the old days, probably the lower production cars, special editions will come first but will also, as usual thos have the highest loss rate. After a few years you always end up with the unpopular colors being the "survivors". The Red ones always end up wrapped arpund a tree before the Green ones it seems, no matter what the make or model.

For me, at the moment, I am sorting a 1990 Buick Reatta. It looks like it is going to take months to do just that. Money and avaialable time dictate what I can do, but I can assure you, that if it was a 1970 Buick Skylark, I would be cruising today instead of wondering why my damn horn doesnt work.

Cruise on...

Hi Angelo,

As a general rule, use "Classic" to only refer to cars of the 1920s/30s that cost as much as a house when new. Do a search on Classic vs. Antique for lots of reading enjoyment. What you are really asking is which recent cars will be deemed "collectible". As to that, I don't really have much of an opinion, but I'm sure many others can chime in.

A.J.

A very eloquent post and all that was taken in was the use of the word Classic....

Point made, however the OP is truly about what is currently collectible and is germane to AACA mission statement.

I have to say I doubt I would ever try to restore my first car...a 1984 Chrysler lazer. So I would agree very much with your thoughts Double M. Damm you did pick a tough one though...that car is chock full of electronic pitfalls.

Sorry, but you lost me on the third page of your book. Check out the CCCA Forum for the true definition of a Classic.

CCCA does not own the word "Classic" nor does it have a meaning in law. "Classic" means different things to different people

CCCA does not own the word "Classic" nor does it have a meaning in law. "Classic" means different things to different people

I 100% agree with you and it causes me to "profile". If I'm talking to someone about cars and they use the word "Classic" to refer to their 84 Honda - I will be polite but I'm not really interested in anything else they have to say about cars. Please don't hate me because I'm not alone on this.

That quote is classic.

I 100% agree with you and it causes me to "profile". If I'm talking to someone about cars and they use the word "Classic" to refer to their 84 Honda - I will be polite but I'm not really interested in anything else they have to say about cars. Please don't hate me because I'm not alone on this.

Guest Jim_Edwards

The ultimate problem is the attempt to pigeon hole the term "Classic" to a specific period in time or some specific years of age. In my mind there have been one or more body designs produced in many different decades which creatively can easily be considered "Classic." Particularly if they lead the industry and were indiscriminately and shamelessly copied by every other auto maker in the industry. The Ford 1964-1/2 Mustang is one such car, but a '68 Mustang isn't for example, neither is copycat Camaro of any year. Candidly, in my mind only a very few of the pre WWII automobiles are worthy of being called a classic. Not very many necessarily even good examples of excellence in design or industry influencing innovation. Yeah I know the CCCA folks are now wishing I would burn in hell. But if I do I will have gotten there in one of my 1950s - 1970s cars that most now call "Classic."

A similar problem lies with something over 25 years of age being considered a "Collectible." Just because something happens to have reached 25 years in age doesn't mean it is collectible to the extent one could expect future value appreciation. Just because someone or many have fond memories surrounding a particular make, model, or year of a car doesn't make it either a classic or a collectible; just something that gives us that warm fuzzy feeling about our personal past. Nothing at all wrong with that as near as I can tell. Few if any people alive today can say they get a warm fuzzy feeling from any pre WWII car being significant in their past.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

My opinion is that few of today's car will become collectible in the future. You see that starting already in the 1970's. Luxury cars will have a following, muscle cars are off the charts, and oddballs like Pacers will attract some attention. But there are a lot of more bland cars such as late '70's Malibus, Fairmonts, and Volares that probably never will command much attention. If you buy something such as a late 1970's Malibu or Impala with V8, you will have a reliable fairly affordable and easy to fix car that can be driven daily. However you will not be able to get a Chevelle SS 396 cheap.

As for future collectibles, muscle cars will probably dominate, followed by special 2 seaters such as T-bird, SSR, and Cadillac XLR. Maybe things like PT Cruisers and Azteks will attract some attention because of unusual styling. The majority of bland 4 doors and minivans probably will never have much of a following, and certainly not the same kind of following that an ordinary 1957 Chevy does.

Guest CarAdMan

I too have given up on the newer cars. My daily driver is 45 years old, and I can work on it. On the other hand my wife's '84 Riviera is a handful. The '83s had old fashion A/C controls, hers is the boob-tube touch screen that is a mystery to me, even with a manual. All the parts are new but no mechanic in town can get the A/C to blow cold. So, give me an old car that I can work on and drive any day. Just venting - RICK

post-59657-143138342308_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138342318_thumb.jpg

X2 on that AJ ! Your comment is 'classic' in it's self. Made me smile.

REALLY? You may want to rethink that Jimmy. Around 1963-64 I got a ride in a 1912 Model T Ford, finally bought it in 1983. My daughter first drove it when she was 6 years old, a week before the training wheels were removed from her bicycle. So that makes TWO people that have very warm fuzzy feelings about PRE WORLD WAR ONE Cars. :D [QUOTE=Jim_Edwards;811055] Few if any people alive today can say they get a warm fuzzy feeling from any pre WWII car being significant in their past.

Jim

The problem I see here is parts and fuel (that goes for all old cars) as they and the government will determine if in thirty years from now if all the cars we have been cherishing and holding on to can be kept. I was in the automotive business for forty years and worked on cars and all things mechanical at least ten years before that. I know that when I have a problem with Q jet, 4GC, 2GC, solex, or hitachi carb. that I have to know how they work inside and out. They tell me in their own language by the way the engine runs what they need. OBD 1 & OBD 2 cars are no different but they are easier to work on than the old cars because they TELL you what the problem is in English. All you need is a service manual for OBD1 and a service manual and scanner for OBD2. Now if it's something like a wiring harness or ECM problem that is a different story and yes you do need to be able to trouble shoot. I find that part of trouble shooting the most rewarding though. Sensors,modules and sometime harnesses are subject to heat and cold over time and some components can be costly so these things will be the hard things to get in time- just like parts on old cars.

Don:)

This arguement appears about once a month. Reason: See Wikipedia's list of definitions. Classic car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I'm safe in calling any old load a "classic" By these definitions, I'm now a classic!

Hello, Paul.

If anyone wants to see how this "classic" subject rears its head like clockwork on this Forum, click on the Search link in this page's header line. Type in "Classic Definition".

The oldest one retained is dated July 20, 2000...

After moderating on this forum for about the same 10 year period I cannot recall one time that the topic "Defintition of a Classic Car" has ever been satisfactorily resolved or agreed upon. It has become almost ho-hum from my side of the fence not to mention "here we go again".

Peter.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello, Paul.

If anyone wants to see how this "classic" subject rears its head like clockwork on this Forum, click on the Search link in this page's header line. Type in "Classic Definition".

The oldest one retained is dated July 20, 2000...

After moderating on this forum for about the same 10 year period I cannot recall one time that the topic "Defintition of a Classic Car" has ever been satisfactorily resolved or agreed upon. It has become almost ho-hum from my side of the fence not to mention "here we go again".

Peter.

I like "Here we go again." Silly ongoing discussion has existed for as long as I can remember and is never resolved I think mainly because of twisted notions of the definition of the word "Classic." Which is:

"The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality."

Or if one doesn't like that there is this:

1. of the highest class, esp in art or literature

2. serving as a standard or model of its kind; definitive

3. adhering to an established set of rules or principles in the arts or sciences a classic proof

4. characterized by simplicity, balance, regularity, and purity of form; classical

5. of lasting interest or significance

6. continuously in fashion because of its simple and basic style a classic day dress

The circumstance that always creates the problem is the pinning of a specific age or era when considering automobiles rather than whether they are actually representative of something that would clearly make them a "classic" by accepted definitions of the word "Classic."

Jim

Seems to me that in the original post, the guy was asking about what newer cars would be collectible, and whether it was possible to buy a reasonably priced car without computers that he could repair himself.

I don't recall him asking anyone to rehash the "What is a classic" argument. That was done by everyone else that claims they are so tired of beating that dead horse.

Guest Double M

No, as the writer of the original post, I'd say you were misled by these people that would rather debate the dictionary than the subject. And thats Classic...

Moving right along, someone has to...

Yes, what cars of today or the recent past are going to be on the stage at Barret Jackson in 20 years? Which cars will be the next GTO or the next Corvair? Will it be a front wheel drive rolling computer? Will tommorows restoration expert also have to be a technology expert? Which of them can we scoop up now at a great price before they skyrocket as a "classic, Collectible" or whatever you Websters wanna call them...

Our hobby will not be limited to Model T's, 69 Chevelles and 57 Chevys forever ya know...

How about that new rarely seen Hardtop Pontiac Solstice? That gets my vote for the Cobra of the future. Maybe someday you may find yourself bidding on one of those 140mph Plymouth Neons they had a few years ago or maybe an Oldsmobile Aurora with its indy engine is in you or your kid's future. For now my money is on that 90 Reatta that I won on ebay for $1150.

That is what this is about.

I have never been around a knowledgeable collector/restorer/dealer that used the word "Classic" to describe anything but a CCCA Classic. To me this is a "teaching moment". People new to the hobby who stumble on to this discussion can decide for themselves how they are going to use the word. Hopefully enough will use it the right way so that I have someone to talk to :).

Guest Double M

This is not a teaching moment for you, man.

If you would like to debate the meaning of the word "Classic" please start a new thread.

It is much harder to do that than to come into this thread and hijack it as others have already.

This is not a discussion on the term "Classic" or an op to display your "teaching" abilities...

get it?

Class dismmised.

I truly believe with the impact they made on the market, the low involvement cost and ease of parts, the early eighties - late seventies Japanese motorcycles are going to continue to grow in popularity. as far as cars go, I believe the Miatta will be on the list of fun toys from the eighties/nineties but I'd like to see how the plastic is after twenty five years before I go out and fill a warehouse with them. As far as classic goes, I go with the AACA definitions for the term, If only because they, unlike CCCA, recognize the Marmon Big sixes. As far as the term goes, it is a good one to represent the era of opulence automobiles as any I've heard and while the 64 mustang is classic, it is not a Classic (I know, equine semantics and all). As far as the comment about anyone today being won over to the Pre war cars by an experience in one, ask the dozens of kids whose muscle car owning dads allowed them a rumble seat ride at a meet and now owns or desires something from that era. If youve read my story on my first brass car ride (under "What car got you hooked") you might understand how I can fly past dozens of fifties through seventies Autos and head straight to the row of brass. Cars have been a major focus all my life and nearly all of those memories involve prewar cars and my father and I have shared that vision and experience with anyone who desires from shop time to rumble seat rides, bringing cars to kids activities and showing the drivers at local car shows so kids can sit in the seat and pose for pictures to recognizing that certain look in a kids eyes and putting a project in his hands to watch him grow in the hobby (how's that '23 coming Wayne??, I still expect a ride one day!!) I guess the point is - Love what you love - Look for similarities, not differences and if you like them original, join the club.....

This is not a teaching moment for you, man.

If you would like to debate the meaning of the word "Classic" please start a new thread.

It is much harder to do that than to come into this thread and hijack it as others have already.

This is not a discussion on the term "Classic" or an op to display your "teaching" abilities...

get it?

Class dismmised.

Hold on there, Francis.

You're new here. You started a thread on an old subject. This is a teaching moment.

The Classic Car Club of America began in 1953, before any other car club used the word Classic. They defined what a Classic (with a capital C) was in their bylaws. Knowledgeable and respectable car enthusiasts use the term to define a specific type of car and period built between 1925 and 1942, with exceptions before and after.

The term classic (lower case c) can easily be defined by the dictionary. So, a Classic car is defined by the Classic Car Club of America. A classic car is defined by the dictionary.

I do not believe any of the computer era cars will ever become classics, other than simply as classic examples of their era. A few obvious and predictable examples (Mustang, Corvette) and high-profile oddballs (Hummer, Prowler, Aztec) will be more collectible than others. The rest is simply a function of age. In another 50 years, Tauruses and Voyagers will have some collector interest. Just like any 50-60 year old car is collectible today by default, regardless of make and model.

And I agree, enough with the "deceased equine violence", please.

Nope,

The AACA in 1952 defined Classic as Less than 25 years and Pre-1940.

In 1952, Classic cars would be from 1927 to 1939 without distinction to make or model. Apparently this was an attempt to give standing to cars too new to meet the definition of Antique (25 years). An interesting concept..... I must admit, that the tables have since been turned.

Below is a quote from the AACA history section of their (this) web-site

'In time for the 1952 show season, a new eighteen category classification system was put into place that remains the basis for our present evolving vehicle classification system today. The new 1952 classifications included Classic cars, "less than 25 years old and pre-1940".'

My fault, I meant 1952. The Classic Car Club began in March 1952 and incorporated in September 1952. I believe the AACA got their term from the new club.

Dunno. For me any car that does not have a/c does not count (and both my 67 Camaro and 70 GS bought new did. Four speeds also.)

Have had cars that were new, became old, then miraculously became "collectible". Think it was a laying on of hands or sommat. Acquired the Judge (a/c, 4-speed) when it was a $600 car. Bought the first Reatta when my hip started bothering me in the Fiero and wanted a bigger one. Lost 40 lbs an now have a Fiero again. Incredibly cheap right now.

If you want a guideline for future collecting, it is easy: find a car that was TOL and low production because it cost too much new and is now depreciated out ($600 when the GTO arrived is like $4000 now). True, people are keeping cars longer now because they can't afford new ones so years to depreciate is more like 20 now.

The one thing that makes it all possible is really something amazing when you think about it: a car made 100 years ago can run on the same gas that is available at the pump today.

Of course Washingtoon is trying to fix that....

I have never been around a knowledgeable collector/restorer/dealer that used the word "Classic" to describe anything but a CCCA Classic. To me this is a "teaching moment". People new to the hobby who stumble on to this discussion can decide for themselves how they are going to use the word. Hopefully enough will use it the right way so that I have someone to talk to :).

While I hate for this new member experience a complete Hijack of an interesting thread "How collectible new computer cars will be" I feel compelled to say just one more thing about "Classic". This whole Hijack started just because he perpetrated a blasphemous act of using the word "classic", to describe something other than what the word really means.....TO YOU!

I have sympathy for your point, I actually agree and personally only use the term when describing the "Exclusive" cars of that era however, time to attempt a paradigm shift and understand that you sound like you are Preaching not Teaching. The complete Dogmatic approach to this subject is distasteful, arrogant and outright smacks of elitism. As if we need to elevate our "station" by saying what you want us to say just to get next to you and have a conversation. :rolleyes:

Sorry Double M for being part of the Hijack...all I can say is this; just steer clear of the term, it obviously means more to those who hold it so dear than it does to us mere automotive peasants.

I think of the Buick Gran Nationals, the bustle back Sevilles and even the copycat bustle back Chrysler Imperial as being cars of interest. Miata I can see, late model Cobra Mustangs. The '95-'99 Buick Riviera. The '79-'85 models already have a bit of a following.

Hard to say really. I know there are many others I just can't think of or forsee.

Never say never about the collectability of a car. I think back to High School in the late '70's when the muscle cars were just 10 year old used cars and we were beating the bejeebers out of them.

Who knew back then that in 30 years that AAR Cuda, Buick GS, Charger 500 etc. that we drove through the backwoods to kegger parties would be sought after and worth what they are.

Me and a friend turned our nose up at a '70 Buick GSX that was for sale for $500.00 because it was a little rough.

Ok, my turn to kick the horse.

Boy, be careful of the words you choose around here!

I grew up in a CCCA family, so I know the definition of what "that word" means and fought it's misuses myself for years. But life is too short and we are outnumbered.

The OP never once questioned or asked the meaning, he just unfortunately used "that word" and stepped in a deep pile.

Maybe "that word" should be added to the list of naughty words that won't appear on the board when typed since it brings about such conflict and sleepless nights by it's mere mention. Upper case 'C' or not.

:cool:

Guest Double M

Along those lines, I figure that along with our Reattas, that some other Buicks would be "Collectible"

(does that make you MERRIAM WEBSTERS waving the flag from 1952 happy?)

Like the Grand Nationals and The T-Types, these are already saught after cars and fetching higher prices. They represent the last RWD sport sedans from GM. Dont forget all those 4 Cylinder K-Cars that everyone scorned, now there may not be many left and therefore may be scarce and perhaps collectible. I cant even find a Dodge Omni of any model, never mind a GLH.

Certain Model Camaros & Firebirds of the 80's & 90's will be there soon enuf...

I think it is naive to think that only cars from the before the 70's are all that there is to be collected. Just think how enthusiasts felt when the smog laden 70's cars came along. Now many of those cars are on the block with hefty 5 digit price tags. When that Turbo Trans Am came out, back in the day, it was panned as poor performer compared to those big ol 455's but nobodys seems to mind paying for them them today.

I bought my 1969 GS400 in 1980 for $1450 and nobody I knew even heard of a GS. Today however that price night not even buy me the hood. I remember those Superbirds cruising around in 1970 and also seeing them in junkyards in NYC soon after. My older brother and cousin all made fun of them, and now... nobody's laughing? people are falling over themselves to buy them with 6 digit price tags.

It is not about dictionaries or about standards, it is about cars. If anyone wants to talk about those, I'm all ears.

While I hate for this new member experience a complete Hijack of an interesting thread "How collectible new computer cars will be" I feel compelled to say just one more thing about "Classic". This whole Hijack started just because he perpetrated a blasphemous act of using the word "classic", to describe something other than what the word really means.....TO YOU!

I have sympathy for your point, I actually agree and personally only use the term when describing the "Exclusive" cars of that era however, time to attempt a paradigm shift and understand that you sound like you are Preaching not Teaching. The complete Dogmatic approach to this subject is distasteful, arrogant and outright smacks of elitism. As if we need to elevate our "station" by saying what you want us to say just to get next to you and have a conversation. :rolleyes:

Sorry Double M for being part of the Hijack...all I can say is this; just steer clear of the term, it obviously means more to those who hold it so dear than it does to us mere automotive peasants.

I agree with a great deal of what Stealth says. Newcomers to this board who ask questions or start discussions without necessarily knowing all the ins and outs of the collector car world need to not be jumped-upon, because that can be quite an effective enthusiasm-killer.

I think Double M is on track...so should we.

Sorry for the off topic stuff, let us all move along.

....the thread topic is really good.

How about this car....I had it and boy I sure loved it.

shelbycharger1.jpg

Yea it was just a plasticized 1984 Charger with a tiny 2.2L but it sure got me the looks from the ladies. :D

Collectible....yea I think so.

Great....I think I may have offended the "Shelby" crowd now.:o

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

I remember those Superbirds cruising around in 1970 and also seeing them in junkyards in NYC soon after. My older brother and cousin all made fun of them, and now... nobody's laughing? people are falling over themselves to buy them with 6 digit price tags.

There was a guy a few years ahead of me in school that took the rear wing off his Superbird and replaced it with Shark fins he made since the movie Jaws was so popular back in '75. :D

Just a used car. Nuthin' special.

I'm sure 80's-90's Camaros and Firebirds will be collected and restored.

Guest Double M

Now your talking. We'll be paying a fortune for that "plasticized 1984 Charger with a tiny 2.2L " when those rule bookers and dictionary dons have gone the way of the Edsel. (now I probably pissed of an Edsel guy someplace) But try and even find a Shelby Charger today, and in mint condition. As we say in Brooklyn "fagetaboutit"

As for offending anyone. That is the last thing I intended and sincerly appologize to those that have been offended. But to be offended by reality is just denial. New guy or not, it takes alot more than a few guys that cant discuss the subject, so they must attack it to kill my entusiasm. Just like me, the New "Classics, Collectibles, whatevers..." are coming whether they like it or not.

I joined this forum for information and knowledge about my recent purchase of an 1952 Chrysler. As i thought this would be a great place to get that,thinking almost all members of this forum have been around cars,gotten grease under there nails,or had a rusted bolt that had to be cut or beaten off. I would hate to think that every thread where i ask a question or reply to is under scrutiny for proper use of words, spelling, punctuation, word spacing and so on.

I thought it is about car guys coming together to chat,exchange info and get help about cars.

To respond to this thread, i would have to say at one point in time somebody would want a car from the 70's 80' 90's or 00's. Isn't it about supply and demand? Who would thought when the Edsel came out that somebody would be seeking it out in 50 or so years. The price of "older" cars has gone up so much, i believe, because of auctions like Barrett Jackson and Mecum. Now the guy down the street thinks his car is worth what they get on TV. Before these auctions it was common knowledge that you would never get back what you put into your car,you just did it for personal pride.Now they go for astronomical amounts that most cant afford.

I hope i haven't offended anybody, was just bothered by the bickering.

Miata comes to mind as a new collectible...

mazda-miata-mx-5.jpg

The group as a whole tend to be fanatical about them, almost as much as the Reatta guys. Main difference is the shear numbers produced but that never stopped the Tri Chevies from staying on as a top collectible.

The Magnum..

dodge_magnum_srt-8.jpg

I do see it as a collectible. Almost want to buy and store one. Of course the Hemi version is a must.