VW Golf with Antique Plates in Connecticut

1937hd45

And the abuse of the word and definition of antique continues......

My concern with the antique plates is that a lot of people with 25 plus year old trucks and cars, using them every day, think they're putting one over on the States by registering as such. In Virginia, permanent tags, no inspection, no personal property tax.

I see a lot of such cars being driven as regular transportation, here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

And in the end, this abuse can only be a bad day for us true enthusiasts, as somebody in government recognizes the abuse and shuts it down, but shuts it down for all of us.......

The Golf first came out in 1974 and was first sold in the US for the 1975 model year. Yes, people abuse antique registrations, but why the derision for a car that clearly qualifies? An original VW Rabbit would be 35 years old. You may not care for the car, but it has every right to have an antique registration. Heck, a couple of years ago at Hershey there was a beautiful Yugo convertible for sale. I'm not a Yugo fan, but this car was virtually brand new and kinda cool... in a perverse sort of way. ;)

Lighten up people.

It seems what like 1937 is saying is that time is flying, and he can't imagine the VW Golf is 25 years old already. It is difficult for many of us to believe any 1985 vehicle is an antique. Seems like just yesterday I purchased a 1985 Citation from the showroom floor. Well, I couldn't wait to get rid of it, but kinda wish I had it now. (But that's another story). Back in 1980, it was shocking to see '55 Chevies on the Hershey showfield.

I, personally appreciate the newer antiques just reaching the 25 year milestone, and anticipate seeing what our hobbyists find interesting. Will it be luxo barges or econoboxes? But hasten to add, they should be in show quality original or restored condition. Anything else is just a "clunker".

Locally, I see several of these "clunkers" being driven on a daily basis with an Antique Vehicle or Classic Car tag attached to the back. The driver appropriately "thumbing his nose" at the true collectors. :(

And the abuse of the word and definition of antique continues......

My concern with the antique plates is that a lot of people with 25 plus year old trucks and cars, using them every day, think they're putting one over on the States by registering as such. In Virginia, permanent tags, no inspection, no personal property tax.

I see a lot of such cars being driven as regular transportation, here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

And in the end, this abuse can only be a bad day for us true enthusiasts, as somebody in government recognizes the abuse and shuts it down, but shuts it down for all of us.......

People do abuse antique plates, and that is unfortunate. But what makes you think this VW Golf is abusing antique plates? It is old enough, and it is allowed to be driven on the street. What makes you think this car is driven daily since you are not even the one that saw it on the road? I met a guy a few years ago that loved Pintos, and had several at a show. Not my taste, but I'm not going to say they can't have antique plates. IMO a street rod or rat rod running antique plates with basically nothing original on it and all new running gear and parts is abusing the antique plates. Not a 30 year old Golf.

Went to a large local cruise night Saturday and saw a 1984 TransAM wearing VA antique plates. Made the comment to the town cop directing traffic that it was hard for me to think of those qualifying for antique plates, since a 1984 TA was the last new car I bought.

Then the constable proved to me that most of them have no idea about the antique plates or how to enforce them- "Don't they qualify for them at 20 years old or something?"

And they wonder why I keep copies of the statutes in all the cars.

RE it being the last new car I bought- I guess I have trouble accepting it was 26 years ago that I bought it, at age 28.:eek:

Booey. I'm an antique meself now.

People do abuse antique plates, and that is unfortunate. But what makes you think this VW Golf is abusing antique plates? It is old enough, and it is allowed to be driven on the street. What makes you think this car is driven daily since you are not even the one that saw it on the road? I met a guy a few years ago that loved Pintos, and had several at a show. Not my taste, but I'm not going to say they can't have antique plates. IMO a street rod or rat rod running antique plates with basically nothing original on it and all new running gear and parts is abusing the antique plates. Not a 30 year old Golf.

I went to a show a while back with my original 1915 Buick. A fellow had a T bucket there that was registered as a 1914. He got the oldest car award for something that did not have one part even close to 1914 on it. Go figgure :confused: ... It seems the street rod guys have no concept of what it takes to keep a truly original car going. There auto be a regulation writen somewhere. I guess politics were also at play. Dandy Dave!

My understanding is that CT currently allows EA plates for any vehicle 20 years old or older--even more lenient than AACA!

Edit: Just found the applicable info at the CT DMV site:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=811&q=245108&dmvPNavCtr=%7C41827%7C

I'm still a couple of years away from being able to get some for my trusty '92 Taurus wagon...

Did the guys T bucket have the VIN plate on it? Maybe that was the tie to the year.

Many states now have street rod laws (spearheaded by SEMA) that allow a constructed vehicle such as a T-bucket to be registered as the year of the car it most closely resembles - and thus eligible for vintage/antique tags. The car can (and probably did) have a state-issued VIN. Completely legal in those states, whether you like it or not.

Many states now have street rod laws (spearheaded by SEMA) that allow a constructed vehicle such as a T-bucket to be registered as the year of the car it most closely resembles - and thus eligible for vintage/antique tags. The car can (and probably did) have a state-issued VIN. Completely legal in those states, whether you like it or not.

That sounds about right. A Model T Ford's vin number is on the engine block which this T bucket clearly did not have.... Dandy Dave!

Going back to your point on what it takes to keep an original car dating back to 1915 on the road, common sense tells us that you got skunked, Dave! Most likely nothing on the T-bucket dating to 1914!!! Legal, probably. Oldest car award? Just plain silly...

Going back to your point on what it takes to keep an original car dating back to 1915 on the road, common sense tells us that you got skunked, Dave! Most likely nothing on the T-bucket dating to 1914!!! Legal, probably. Oldest car award? Just plain silly...

Skunked! Yeah, that's it. Skunked!!! My point exactly. Some of these judges should use their better Jugment. And I drove my car there also, about 35 miles one way. Dandy Dave!

I have my 1959 Ford registered as a regular passenger vehicle, not an antique, because I drive it a lot and did not want to risk getting hassled for using it more than the law allows. It costs me a little more each year in registration fees, but here in RI the property tax is the same.

I have my 1959 Ford registered as a regular passenger vehicle, not an antique, because I drive it a lot and did not want to risk getting hassled for using it more than the law allows. It costs me a little more each year in registration fees, but here in RI the property tax is the same.

Sleeve, What does the RI law allow for usage for an antique? There is no usage restriction associated with CT's EA plates (though my antique auto insurance policy provides me with plenty of restrictions).

Stock Steve - are you sure about that? I thought (unless there has been a change, which could be since they seem to have gone from 25 to 20 years for eligibility) they were for "occasional use" not transportaiton use and were key to property tax cap of $500. I have been (and remain) concerned we could someday pay for those who mis-use EA plates. I will admit to not having seen the actual statute in a long time.

I also know people in CT who register with regular plates for the same reason Sleeve is.

(My concern is with use not the vehicle wearing the tags - still think they should not be available for vehicles in daily use.)

Thanks

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
spelllling (see edit history)

Stock Steve - are you sure about that? I thought (unless there has been a change, which could be since they seem to have gone from 25 to 20 years for eligibility) they were for "occasional use" not transportaiton use and were key to property tax cap of $500. I have been (and remain) concerned we could someday pay for those who mis-use EA plates. I will admit to not having seen the actual statute in a long time.

I also know people in CT who register with regular plates for the same reason Sleeve is.

(My concern is with use not the vehicle wearing the tags - still think they should not be available for vehicles in daily use.)

Thanks

Hi Steve,

No, I am not *100%* sure about that--I will go and do some research.

It was once explained to me that the reason EA plates came about is to offer the car collector the same sort of "protection" from the local tax assessor that, say, art collectors have (since the art collector doesn't have to register his Picasso, or whatever).

And supposedly, since it costs the same to register your car with EAs as it does with regular passenger plates, that there was deemed to be no good reason to restrict usage.

Anyway, so much for hearsay--good idea for me to go and see what I can find out for sure.

Steve

On this page: CHAPTER 246 MOTOR VEHICLES

Go to the section headed with: "Sec. 14-20. Number plates for antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles. Issuance of number plates corresponding to year of manufacture. Registration. Regulations."

And then look in the purple-colored "history" section--which starts off with:

"History: P.A. 79-25 replaced "automobiles manufactured at least twenty-five years prior to the date such number plates are issued" with reference to antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles and deleted requirement that special plates be issued only to vehicles to be used in exhibitions, parades etc. and not for general transportation;..."

I am not a lawyer, but think this is telling us that EA plates no longer have usage restrictions (such as only for exhibitions, parades, etc.).

I also could not figure out what date effectivity this "requirement deletion" may have had...

I also did a a moderate amount of searching around the CT DMV web site and could not find anything on usage restrictions for EA plates.

That's all I have, for whatever it's worth...

Steve

*Anecdotally,* I have heard that it may not be wise to put EA plates on your antique pickup truck, if you expect to use it for "normal pickup truck-type" usage, such as carting junk to the dump, or whatever.

I don't know who may be making those sorts of rules, but I would guess that your town (to whom you are not paying as much property tax due to your EA registration--compared to if you had regular "combination" plates on your pickup) might have something to say about it...

Sleeve, What does the RI law allow for usage for an antique? There is no usage restriction associated with CT's EA plates (though my antique auto insurance policy provides me with plenty of restrictions).

Steve: This is from the RI DMV website:

"If a vehicle is more than 25 years old, it can be registered with an antique plate. An inspection is not required with this plate, although restrictions do apply to how the vehicle can be used when displaying the antique plate. The vehicle can be used solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest, but not primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any public highway. The cost for registering a vehicle with an antique plate is $6.50 (R.I.G.L. §31-6-1 (a)(16))."

I have installed seat belts and like to use it to take the kids where they're going, they like it and so do their friends. I doubt it's heavily enforced, but I'd rather not take the chance of getting pulled over for antique plates.

Steve: This is from the RI DMV website:

"If a vehicle is more than 25 years old, it can be registered with an antique plate. An inspection is not required with this plate, although restrictions do apply to how the vehicle can be used when displaying the antique plate. The vehicle can be used solely for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest, but not primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any public highway. The cost for registering a vehicle with an antique plate is $6.50 (R.I.G.L. §31-6-1 (a)(16))."

I have installed seat belts and like to use it to take the kids where they're going, they like it and so do their friends. I doubt it's heavily enforced, but I'd rather not take the chance of getting pulled over for antique plates.

Thanks Sleeve--I definitely agree with your philosophy, given how clearly RI's law is stated.

I also agree with Steve Mack's feeling that CT's EA plates certainly should not be "abused."

Steve from Stony Creek, CT

*Anecdotally,* I have heard that it may not be wise to put EA plates on your antique pickup truck, if you expect to use it for "normal pickup truck-type" usage, such as carting junk to the dump, or whatever.

I know in PA the bed of a truck registered as an antique or street rod has to be completely empty at all times. I have first hand knowledge of someone who was pulled over for hauling a picnic cooler with his lunch in it, and the cooler was painted to match the truck! he talked his way out of that one.

I also knew someone who paid a $500 fine 20+ years ago for hauling a picnic table to his uncle's house in a newly restored '65 Ford pickup. In PA it's the same violation as having no registration at all.