It's Time To Start Thinking Hershey!

edinmass

It's been a great summer up here in New England, and it's hard to believe that the great fall meet will soon be upon us. My first was 39 years ago, when I was only five......... so many great memories of me and my departed father and grand father looking thorough piles of junk for 31 Cadillac parts...... in the knee deep mud...... it truly was searching for treasure...... Now I attend for social reasons as most of the CCCA car parts dried up, but still several time a day I come across a sleeper part and it takes me back to the good old days and if only for a moment........ it's like there still both there with me looking for the next great find........RIP Dad and Pepre'.

The last time I missed Hershey was 1983.

Interesting parts and cars still abound, but now it is more for the social aspects, and this year I'll finally show a car - the 1914 Buick B-37 Touring.

I showed the 1930 Packard at Louisville where she was awarded her First Junior. She is going for her Senior at Moline tomorrow (Saturday 8/20), and will continue on to Cheyenne for the Labor Day weekend - again, as much social as anything else, but I'm also getting my feet wet in judging, and really liking it.

I can still remember my first Hershey in 1969, it was SO much fun back then. I still bring a load of unwanted parts but it is really a time to remember all the great guys & gals of the hobby and the cars thay brought there back in "The Golden Years" of the hobby.

Personally I would love to make a quick run to Hershey. I have the time, but not the money. Is there camping there with kibos?

If so I would go but the thought of paying $100 per night for a motel room you are only going to sleep in for a few hours, not appealing. I would buy a fresh pair of walking shoes and go in a heartbeat. Great time of year, Fall in America.

Marty I want to see that 14 Buick. You gotta guarantee me if I come I get to see it and wouldn't mind hearing it started up.

Thanks Ed, for starting the thread, even if it is a bit late! (I think the official time to begin thinking about Hershey is New Years Day, right? It is OK to take off time for Thanksgiving and Christmas..) BTW - we are not far from each other, I am in the Hartford area; we should meet up at a show sometime - we are same age and it seems fans of the same types of vehicles.

BJM, you should consider making the trip. A suggestion - if you are willing to stay a couple hours away you can probably find lodging a lot cheaper. We generally stay in the Lancaster area, not cheaper but we like the place, it is around 35 minutes door to door but the action really does not get going until after 8:00 - 8:30 AM. An early riser could get there in plenty of time. Parking is always fine in the early morning. So you could do the bulk of the drive, find a motel 6 or similar and not spend quite as much. You owe it to yourself to do this trip at least once!

Looking forward to seeing HD Bob and many others this year.

Looking forward to coming back down to Hershey. For us it's always been mostly about the socializing, although the occasional old-VW trinket does turn up from time to time, and we always enjoy walking the fields & car corral for the pure sport of it, and participating in the Saturday car show too--either with an old VW or our Pinto.

My friend and I will be attending Hershey for the first time this year. It is a rather inconvenient trip for us coming from 25 miles west of Chicago, so this will not be a yearly thing for us. But I am curious to see if it lives up to all the hype. We have some pretty good shows in this area, Iola, Wi, ACD Fest in Auburn with former Kruse auction, so I want to see how Hershey compares.

Linc, for parts hunting Hershey has historically been pre-war focused but I think you can find parts for most anything there. If you go for the show you should not be dissapointed. The region does a great job overall, it is amazingly well orchestrated almost entirelly by members and other volunteers. Glad you are making the run!

Guest Model T Nick

Steve: Be prepare to be amazed. I've been going for 48 years and I'm still amazed. Please be sure and respound back with your initial thoughts.

Linc, for parts hunting Hershey has historically been pre-war focused but I think you can find parts for most anything there. If you go for the show you should not be dissapointed. The region does a great job overall, it is amazingly well orchestrated almost entirelly by members and other volunteers. Glad you are making the run!

Thanks for the info. My car only needs a few minor interior parts in its unique aqua blue color which I cannot find anywhere. So I wasn't really expecting to find them at Hershey. But we will be there for a week, and I will look anyway. Plus we plan on going to the AACA museum and Hershey chocolate. And if I have my way, as many antique malls as I can find.

Linc,

You may not find what you are looking for.... but if you are going to find it anywhere, Hershey is where you will probably find it. It will be fun even if you don't find anything that you need. Be prepared to walk a lot!

Linc, if you are spending the week and have an off day weather wise or just want to break it up swing out to the Denver, PA or Lancaster regions for antique malls. I never mind going as old car stuff is popular in PA so besides the general antiques you can continue searching for "smalls" there if you collect as I do. Also, you won't be the only one stopping at the big barn on 743 just south of the center of town, they stay open late on Hershey week.

Regarding things you may need for your car, last year I found a mint 1939 accessory guide, rarer than a prestige catalog for Packard that year. I did not know how much I needed this item until I found it! Not cheap but I figured I would never find another one if I passed on it...

Always look forward to the annual "time to share what we found" thread but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here...

Guest Siegfried

Steve, As always, looking forward to Hershey, and to seeing old V-Dub buddies.

aybe Thursday night this year if the old body holds out. Be on the Green again( not the Golf course!) with Richie and maybe Alex. Showing the Karmann Ghia in HPOF on Saturday. She deserves at least one more HPOF before the big body cleanup and paint this winter. And then, I quess DPC since new paint will disqualify me (in my opinion anyhow) although cleaned up sheetmetal and original quality paint will be more accurate then bumpy bodywork, or base coat/clear coat.

See you in October.........

We have been going since 1971 every year and I did a few times with the parents in the 60s. I still get that special feeling when we crest that last hill on 39 going south and get our first view of the fields starting to fill up.

When I get the standard question of what am I looking for, my standard answer is I will know when I find it. These days you can buy so much online and from specialty vendors that most things I need I can just buy. I go to flea markets to find the stuff I didn't know I was looking for and I'm seldom disappointed.

Start thinking about Hershey? I've never stopped!! ;)

All one needs to do is check out some of the threads I've started, like the one about pre-registering early (like in April!)

I think I've even persuaded a few folks to go for their first Fall Hershey visit, even if it's just to see all the wonderful cars pull in on Saturday morning, and spend the day walking the show field. Un-believeable!

Yes, it's about six weeks from now, hope to have shed a few pounds between here and there, so I can better walk the showfield.

Hope someone starts up a thread like has been done before, regarding all the people who plan on attending, and what they'll be doing, as something that we can actually print-out (or check out once again from our wireless laptops once we're there) for reference, and who to look up.

Hope someone starts up a thread like has been done before, regarding all the people who plan on attending, and what they'll be doing, as something that we can actually print-out (or check out once again from our wireless laptops once we're there) for reference, and who to look up.

I will do that again this year. Probably in about a week. :D

Steve, As always, looking forward to Hershey, and to seeing old V-Dub buddies.

aybe Thursday night this year if the old body holds out. Be on the Green again( not the Golf course!) with Richie and maybe Alex. Showing the Karmann Ghia in HPOF on Saturday. She deserves at least one more HPOF before the big body cleanup and paint this winter. And then, I quess DPC since new paint will disqualify me (in my opinion anyhow) although cleaned up sheetmetal and original quality paint will be more accurate then bumpy bodywork, or base coat/clear coat.

See you in October.........

Jim,

Looking forward to seeing you there, and definitely please plan on attending the Thursday nite festivities at La Casa de Gordito--and please remind Rich & Alex too!

I *think* Diane will be wanting to show our Pinto in HPOF this year, so we'll definitely look for you there too!

Also, the planned work on your Ghia sounds great--good luck with all of that. I am currently wrestling with getting our old '56 Ghia to run right, and it is not being too cooperative. I still have a few more things to try, however, before I throw my hands up in disgust "for good"--ha ha! That'd be a fun car to try bringing down to Hershey some time--probably not HPOF material, but at least DPC...

Anyway, look forward to seeing you!

Steve

Edited by stock_steve
spelling & grammar corrections (see edit history)

Thanks for the tips. I've already heard bring comfortable shoes, boots, shorts, T-shirts, winter jackets, and umbrellas in order to be prepared. I have a 2010 antique guide (which seems less useful than the 2003 I had before), and heard references to Lancaster. We will be staying with a car club member that lives about 20 miles from Hershey (provided my cat doesn't kill or seriously injure his dog while we are there). So hopefully he will have all kinds of tips as well.

Thanks for the tips. I've already heard bring comfortable shoes, boots, shorts, T-shirts, winter jackets, and umbrellas in order to be prepared. .....

In additon you might want to make sure you have extra socks with you for the flea market walking. You would be surprised how much better your feet will feel with a change of socks. :) When socks get damp the "loft" crushes down and you are more at risk for blisters. :eek: :(

Bring some type of good bag also - I bought an "AACA Fall Meet" newspaper carrier size bag a few years ago that works really well for swap meets. A shoulder bag really helps and it beats shifting from hand to hand after you accumulate a few items.

Bringing something new this year as I have been caught a couple times buying expensive literature where once you made the purchase the challenge is in keeping the item in the same condition while continuing about your day. So this year I am bringing a small portfolio type mini briefcase sort of thing to protect any possible paper purchases.

I also always bring my own bubblewrap for more delicate smaller items.

Anyone else got any unique ideas or items to help prepare for Hershey?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Anyone else got any unique ideas or items to help prepare for Hershey?

We also bring along some freezer weight/thickness ZipLock style bags in a variety of sizes to protect items in the event of rain. I also found some smaller size ones at WalMart in the craft area. These are great for holding small parts and descriptions of what we are looking for or find.

The two gallon size also work great for keeping a clipboard and judging sheets dry in the event of rain. :eek: Had to use it in Blacksburg for three vehicles and then the rain stopped. :)

Part of my standard equipment for Fall Hershey is a good quality back pack.

Before walking into some vendor booths I take it off and carry it so that I don't accidently bump into any merchandise or people.

Another item one should consider is Sun Screen. Unless it is TOTALLY cloudy ALL DAY LONG one runs the risk of sunburn.

9-12 hours in the sun walking the flea market at Hershey can give one sunburn even in October.

I also like to wear convertible cargo pants (long pants that convert into shorts by unzipping the bottom part of each leg). Early in the morning at Hershey can be chilly and long pants are a must. Later in the day when it gets warm (yes, it has done that in some recent years) it is Great to take the bottoms of the legs off of these pants by unzipping them. Then I have a pair of shorts without having to change clothes or carry jeans and shorts.

Hey Charlie, I've definitely gotten an October Hershey sunburn!

This may be too obvious, but remember to bring along your compact camera too--even if you don't buy it, sometimes it's fun to save a picture of what it looked like...

Note to Semi-Intelligent Jim: Would you believe the last thing I did with the '56 Ghia is double-check the spark plug wires? Yes, I had #1 and #2 cylinders cris-crossed--and yes, the car runs great now! Yahoo!

Steve

My "Dollar Pile" of misc and unknown parts at present will fill a wheel barrel, and I'm going thru parts every day now and I'll probably have 2 wheel barrel loads of parts, chrome, plugs, lighting, mirrors and on and on.

Will also have half a dozen or so chairs, benches, boxes to sit on and rest your weary feet and bones.

We're located on the end of the asile in the Green Field down near where the car coral begins.

Happy Motoring,

Ramblin Randy

This may be too obvious, but remember to bring along your compact camera too--even if you don't buy it, sometimes it's fun to save a picture of what it looked like...

Not too obvious for me as I have been know to forget to bring my camera on occasion. With any luck I may have a new "smart phone" by Fall Hershey. Hard to believe but the phone's camera has almost as much resolution as my Kodak digital one. The phone can also record high resolution video which might be interesting to try as well. In any case, I will still bring my Kodak since I may not have much time to learn how to use the smart phone's camera before Hershey.

Hope to see you and Diane sometime during Fall Hershey Week.

I started going to Hershey in 2004 with a couple of friends from town. They had someone back out of the trip and thought of me to take his place. I've been going ever since. As soon as I get home, I start thinking about going the next year. Can't believe that it's only a month tomorrow before we leave. Here's my tips:

1) I bring a cooler and food, make my own lunches and have my own drinks. I also bring a folding chair. The only food I buy at Hershey is Bricker's French Fries and maybe an ice cream. I always park in Chocolate World - cost is $35 for the day but I think well worth it. I go back to the car for lunch and relax awhile.

2) Ditto on the canvas bag. The best ones are the ones like newspaper carriers used to use - and maybe still do. You need something that goes over the shoulder. I bought mine at the Hemmings booth but there are others as well.

3) In your bag, you need some hand sanitizer wipes, paper, pen and a small box of Kleenix. The bag is handy, too, if you have a sweatshirt or something on in the morning and want to take it off when it warms up. As long as you don't buy too much, you'll have room in the bag for it.

4) Bring enough clothes with you so you can adapt to the weather. I bring my winter parka and boots, rain poncho, sweat shirt, and some shorts. I've worn the winter coat one day and wished I had shorts the next, so I try to remember to bring something for every possibility. Winter boots are not too great for walking around in, but if it rains, your feet won't get wet. An umbrella is handy, too, should it rain.

5) Buy a program and mark in it the vendors you think you might be interested in. I kind of map things out so I know where I'm going.

Most importantly, have fun! I see someone else mentioned sunscreen - that's a definite as well.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)