Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Roger

It's hard not to just echo what all have said many times. You are a CRAFTSMAN in the finest. I've seen passion in a project but I see the love of beauty you put into your models. Everytime I come to your site there is more beauty to behold. Thanks for your talent and most of all is thanks for sharing the journey. It is just a few weeks until the 6th anniversary of the Continental Mark II. Roger may you have many years to make us just imagine to do the amazing things you do. God Bless my friend.

Nelson Collar 

Roger,

Your progress with the windows, again, is just amazing.  How you have come up with the solutions for the problems are just everyday for you but for us out here, we are in the presence of a real mind.  

An engineer's thought process baffles the unfamiliar who have not had training in solving mechanical problems.  Having a mechanical background helps me in following the nuances that you are up against.

What I am in awe with is your sources for all the hardware and items that were not on the shelf a decade ago.  Or if they were, I am sure that they were not of the same detail that you have at your fingertips today.  A lot of miniaturization of components in the last 15 years has had a trickle down effect.  Now there are very small motors and components that  have seen a exponential change and improvement over what was on the shelf a decade ago.

I cannot wait to see what you devise for the window switches in the door panels.  

The string and pulley system is not new to me either.  My FIat Spider has a cable and pulley system to raise and lower the windows.  They are complicated to get adjusted right and it is critical to get the tension adjusted just so.

And here you are doing it in 1:12 scale ! ! !    

When you sleep at night, I can imagine the gears whirring in your mind, working on the next problem or item that you are considering for fabrication.  At a younger age, I use to jump out of bed, get to the table and write down what i just though of before it disappeared before I woke up.  Have you ever had a brainstorm and done the same? 

A lifetime of modeling has perfected the craftsman in you that is such a joy to behold by us out here.  We just wish that you would consider another great Marque after you complete this model.   You have all the necessary skills and patience to do such crafted art, it would be a shame to "retire" from the hobby.  My old boss use to say:  "When you are green, you grow. When you are ripe, you rot" !  You seem to have that "green" in you that you are always "growing" with each new problem or completion.  I think that this challenge keeps you on your toes.  Plus you must get great satisfaction in overcoming obstacles and problems.  It is very satisfying when you get something right !  

Few modelers all over the world get to attain the level of craftsmanship that you have attained.  I put you up at the top, Roger.  

You were blessed with the ability and skills that most of us just dream of having.

Can't wait to see the next installment.

Randy

• Like 2

Thanks Randy for your comments!

As I’m stubborn, I intended to do the other window again totally mechanical, still not knowing if I would succeed. I began like for the LH door with the scissor, and the base plate to attach the motor. By looking at the first design, I realised that the middle lever was maybe adding too much friction as it was sliding on a dot; to eliminate it and to have a coherent movement of the actuator, I had to push the motor to the end of door as much as possible. Some modification of the door inner side was needed, no problem. When the motor was installed, I had the brilliant idea to put the assembly back on the body; I was not very motivated this day because the night before was long and wet. Suddenly, I was totally awake: I could not close the door because the motor was placed too low for about 2 to 3 mm! Trying the other door gave the same result. S..t!

The new motor mount was removed and I figured how to raise the motor and still be able to lower the window completely. By tilting the motor, I could gain 1.5 mm; the remaining distance was obtained by shortening the side window. This led to a problem: the lower rail interfered with the door’s inner structure. Some modification solved the problem. Then, I noticed that the bracket from the window frame prevented to lower the window by touching the motor. Another modification was needed. Many small modifications were needed to finally get a side window which can be raised and lowered with a rather smooth movement. It’s now quicker than with the string: about 2 seconds for one travel and I have the impression that it’s more reliable. I just have to modify the LH door to get the same standard.

post-108964-0-52412300-1455034501_thumb.

post-108964-0-67284200-1455034513_thumb.

• Like 4

The other door's window is now done; it's working the same way the RH one is doing. Not a surprise with the same design!

Now, in my opinion, the most difficult task: the rear quarter windows. As the electrical motors are rather long, they don't have enough space between the wheelhouse and the "B" pillar. They will go under the seat; I hope that this set-up will simplify the construction.

• Like 2

Roger

Looking at you going through your build with a little help there is nothing you can not do. Looks spectacular, love the vent window.

Thank you for allowing us to enjoy your talent. It has been 6 years and you are still going strong. Love your design ability and the construction of what you see in your mind.

Health and long life

Nelson

• Like 1

For a moment, I had enough with side windows; I searched something different. To distribute the warm air from the heater, there are four grilles (registers, according to Ford), 2 on the doors and 2 at the kick panels. As I had dimensions and pictures from those parts, I began them. The work is very similar to the front grille, just smaller. The brass I used is .2 mm thick (0.008”); I had a milling cutter of the appropriate dimension. Like for the grille, the bands were assembled by silver solder.

For a special purpose, the fourth grille is not yet completed; I will tell you why in the next few weeks.

By looking at the screen, those grilles or registers are full of imperfections; in reality, they are totally acceptable.

post-108964-0-24852600-1455816957_thumb.

post-108964-0-99184700-1455816969_thumb.

• Like 2

Still no in mood for the back windows…So, I did the molding for the kick panel and inserted the grille. I did the dots on the molding the same way they were made on the dash. I noticed that I was cont constant with the tool’s pressure on the brass. I will change my method by adding a rubber band between the fingers and the actuator…

post-108964-0-49538200-1456059470_thumb.

• Like 2

Guest Urshimato

Hello Roger, as the other forum you were posting on has vanished I've taken the time to sign up here just so I can keep up to date with this awe inspiring build. Do you know how much the car weighs at present and what do you expect to weigh in the end? I'm curious to know if you have operating suspension or is the vehicle " bottomed out " ie. sitting on stops. If it is the former, operating suspension, then sir how did you make the springs so that the finished piece will sit at the correct scale ride height?

Regards Wayne

It seems that the other forum is going to another server...I don't know when it will be open again.

The model is right know at 2.7 kg or almost 6 pounds. I assume that when ready it will be 3 to 3.5 kg. the suspension is operative but not yet really OK: the front springs are too weak; I will have to do new springs with a larger wire diameter. The rear suspension is too stiff; here too a more suitable material is needed. The proper ride height will be obtained with some luck!

• Like 1

Roger,

The nuances  of the details are enlightening us all.  We love to see the thought and the solutions to the problems you come up against.

If it were that easy with my 1:1 projects.  I will not ever b...h about an issue after reading your posts.  Dealing with my Pontiac or Fiat is peanuts compared to you with no "spare parts bin" to scrounge for parts.  Instead, you are crafting the parts you need for your automobile.

We all really enjoy your time spent sharing your incredible build with us.  It is like a serial on TV or waiting for the next sequel to come out.  Can't wait for the next installment in this "story".  

Randy 

Roger,

Have you given any more thought to a color scheme for the car?  Last week, I was in Rancho Santa Fe (a well to do San Diego suburb) and saw a white Continental with a white with blue trim interior.  JUST STUNNING.  It made me think of your 1:12 example of this fine car.  

I did not have room in my camera/phone memory and I could not take any pictures.  But you know what that car looks like anyway.  His was all original with 74,000 miles on it.  It was his fathers and was driven only on weekends (that were not raining in San DIego, witch was most of the time).  The same mechanic worked on it since it was new.  When he retired from the dealership, he was able to come to the gentleman's home and perform service work on the car as they had a long history together.  The gentleman was getting very old and backing out of the garage, he sideswiped the passenger's side of the car.  That is when the family relieved him of his drivers license.He was 93 !  

His son has the car now that the gentleman passed away two years ago.  He was 102.  His son took the car to a classic restoration shop here in the San Diego area and had an immaculate paint job done on the car.  Before they painted it, they went through the mechanicals and surprisingly, as he related to us, it did not need that much due to his fathers diligence with maintenance.  The car, had it not been sideswiped, would have remained as a "survivor" with all original paint, interior, engine etc.,. etc.  But the son opted to get the car back to its glory and glorious it is.  They did a magnificent job on it.  A hundred point car if I ever saw one.

Roger, this car was breathtaking. He let me slide behind the wheel and I marveled at how spacious and luxurious the cars were back in the 50's. I was a little kid back then and we all took for granted that the cars were big and roomy.  4 or 5 kids could sit in the back seat and not be crowded!   Here we are 60 years later driving around in these plastic, tiny (so to speak)small cars. 

I  saw your model "fleshed out" in full size.  I was looking at the radio and ventilation controls, the steering wheel, the front grill, fenders, etc., etc. Every thing that you have been puzzling with and accomplishing in 1:12 the size of this car. I came back home and immediately went to the AACA Forum and looked at your model. Your accuracy with all the details is amazing. 

Now I know why you are doing  the Continental.  I am just sorry that I did not get any pictures of this car to send to you or post here. What a beauty! 

Randy

As always, Roger, your work is amazing. Those tiny grilles for the heater vents are great.

Re, Randy, (Roger too) An uncle of mine, long since deceased, had one of these cars, a battleship grey '56 for many years, which is how I became acquainted with them. I only saw it a very few times as he lived out in Western Canada, and did not drive it out to the East very often, but I remember it well. A tremendous car!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith and Rany for the answer. No, I still don't know about the color, either inside or outside. Someday, I will have to take a decision!

Don't worry about the lack of picture from that car. There are plenty in the net!

Still no rear side windows…Instead, I did the grilles for the fresh air; they are located at the kick panels. The difficulty was to attach the vanes during silver soldering. With “thinking out of the box” I found a way to do it. I'm showing also what they look like in a not so perfect car.

post-108964-0-44806500-1456503149_thumb.

post-108964-0-10580700-1456503175_thumb.

• Like 3

If I’m not doing something with the quarter windows, I doubt that they will jump at the model…I began with the frame, guides at the windows and scissors. I’m still not sure if they will go up and down with the motors as the movements are more complicated than in the front: for a while, the windows are following the slope of the roof to clear the “B” pillar and then they go straight down. A front guide is necessary for that travel and the space is tight.

post-108964-0-09878900-1457108538_thumb.

• Like 4

Well, Martin, it's sometimes critical; I'm glad that the roof is not yet definitively assembled to the body. For the rear windows, I will most probably redo the scissors like they were on the original car, just to gain 0.4 mm (0.016") in overall thickness. While working at the quarter windows, I have the impression that I'm driving a vehicle at 100 MPH during the night without headlights. I have rarely this bad feeling; I will get the answer soon, I hope.

• Like 2

Finally the first prototype is born. There is still some binding and how I can attach the electric motor to that module is still uncertain. I will now make new scissors and a shorter and narrower vertical guide. I wish I had 2 mm more space between window and inner panel! About space: there is a lot between the window and outer rear fender; unfortunately, I cannot use it.

The pictures are showing the quarter window “closed”, then at mid-travel clearing the B pillar; from this, the window is getting straight down; two more pictures from the inner side.

post-108964-0-71228200-1457358717_thumb.

post-108964-0-30380000-1457358734_thumb.

post-108964-0-86065500-1457358747_thumb.

post-108964-0-14978800-1457358761_thumb.

post-108964-0-79740100-1457358775_thumb.

• Like 5

Guest Urshimato

The window(s) are first class as per your normal standard. I hope you don't mind, I've posted a link to this build on britmodeler.com as I believe this needs to be seen by as many people as possible. I should have asked your permission first and for not doing that I apologise.

Wonderful work Roger.   You have been creating such wonder for so long it has become routine for many of us.  I've been busy a bit so it has been some time since I have checked on you progress and thus the true amazement of your work has landed upon me full force today.  :)  Thanks again for sharing your passion.

• Like 1

No problem Urshimato. as you can see, the pictures I'm doing are not marked; if you search into Google, some other forums are publishing my pictures; I have to say most of the time with my name.

I've been thinking of asking you if you mind if a snag some pics to feature on Old Cars, Strong Hearts because, I agree, more people need to see your amazing work.  Each time I visit this thread, I "like" your newest post(s) so you know I'm seeing them.  Several times, I've started to type a reply, but it always never seems enough given your work.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!
"Ain't she a beautiful sight?" __ CW McCall __ 'Convoy'

The first quarter window prototype did not please me. Too much space was needed by the various levers; I had to improve the mechanism. I used the original design for the scissor: this requires 1/3 less space which is welcome. The way the rivets were silver soldered was improved too, allowing an almost flat lever on the other side of the rivet’s head.

I realized also that I forgot to add the weatherstrip between both side windows. I added a channel made with brass; it will be painted later to give the proper illusion. This addition created a new problem: the side window had to go further back to clear the “B” pillar; therefore a new vertical guide had to be made.

There was still some binding; a careful evaluation let me discover why; now the window is almost falling down by itself which is a good sign for the future.

The last picture (which happens to be the first) is showing the module attached to the “B” pillar and the future location of the motor. The attaching plate is full of unnecessary holes: this is the result of many tries. I now “just” have to do the 3 levers connecting the motor to the window’s module.

post-108964-0-58417600-1457954391_thumb.

post-108964-0-02711200-1457954402_thumb.

post-108964-0-89662200-1457954414_thumb.

post-108964-0-88299600-1457954426_thumb.

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 4

It wouod be a shame to do new parts with a not so good result.  Indeed, I had concern about that. During trials, I could not go 100% down because I did not see a source of binding. Now that I discovered and eliminated it, the window's top will be flush with the belt garnish molding.

• Like 2

The motor is now attached to the floor and the connecting levers are done. I had to modify a shaft which was too weak; now the quarter window is going up and down without problem. I just saw that I will have to make the motor mount more stable: due to the good torque, the motor and support are tilting a bit when the window is completely down.

It was a hard fight; I just hope that the LH quarter window will be quicker realized; some levers are already done.

post-108964-0-82417600-1458061053_thumb.

• Like 4

The model is no more at home, but at the Baselworld http://www.baselworld.com/fr-CH/Show.aspx a fair of worldwide reputation for watches and jewellery. Why? When the front grille was ready, I sent pictures to the company I bought the silver solder applied with a dispenser, Hilderbrand & Co (www.hilderbrand.ch) to show them that I was very satisfied with that product. They had the idea to show the model with other parts as a demonstration what can be done with silver solder. Usually, they are showing incomplete watches and jewellery along to their various products; maybe this model will increase their customer’s base…The model should be back at the end of next week.

The attached picture is showing how the model and parts were packed.

post-108964-0-51900600-1458127874_thumb.

• Like 3

Wow !  Congratulations sir !  Just goes to show how much you are appreciated and revered in worlds other than our nice little forum. Always following your work, and still amazed. Thanks again for being you and sharing your talent and expertise with us.

• Like 1