What the heck is going on??

caf

Just stopped by my neighbors as he has his new Ford F 150 in the driveway. Very nice, He had a really nice clean 1992 150, andI asked him if he traded it in. He said he did, but as it came under the new clunker law, they drained the oil and put some crap in it and completely ruined the engine. Made me sick as it had only 54,000 miles on it and was in beautiful shape. Makes you wonder what is going on in the world when we wiilfully destroy perfectly good items. I was taught -waste not want not. I just don't understand what people are thinking, I guess times are a whole lot better than I thought.

He said he did, but as it came under the new clunker law, they drained the oil and put some crap in it and completely ruined the engine.

They just talked about that on the TODAY show Saturday. They showed a jug of stuff that is put into the vehicle to make sure it will never run again to keep it off of the road. I swear I think it was called "Klunker Kill".

If a dealer went to all the trouble of doing the clunker paperwork rather than give a reasonable trade in on a truck with only 54,000 miles, there is something we all are not being told.

Did it have frame rust? A salvage title? Was the transmission slipping? I don't think a dealer would give up an opportunity to make several thousands of dollars in profit from reselling a 54,000 mile truck without good reason.

I'm not saying anyone is lying here, just saying we may not have all the facts.

Joe

If a dealer went to all the trouble of doing the clunker paperwork rather than give a reasonable trade in on a truck with only 54,000 miles, there is something we all are not being told.

Did it have frame rust? A salvage title? Was the transmission slipping? I don't think a dealer would give up an opportunity to make several thousands of dollars in profit from reselling a 54,000 mile truck without good reason.

I'm not saying anyone is lying here, just saying we may not have all the facts.

Joe

Joe is absolutely right. There's no way a dealer would take $3500 from the government on a truck that's worth more to the business as a used vehicle. Checking the value on nada.com this truck would be very close to $4000 in value if it were a totally stripped 6 cylinder. If it has any options/equipment at all it should have brought more.

(The C.A.R.S. trade-in on another truck is $3500. The only way to get $4500 is to purchase a car that averages over 25 MPG combined.)

Of course some dealers might say they're putting the truck in the clunker program, and in fact be giving $3500 as a trade in for a truck that should have been worth more. I hope that's not what happened here. If so the truck is saved but the owner was fleeced.

Since I am in a better middle class area, old cars and trucks do not sell here. The dealers usually auction them off or take them to a lower class area to sell to dealers there in bulk. You just don't see many vehicles over 6 years old on the dealers' used car lots here. So if this truck came in, even if it was worth $4500 or $5000 wouldn't it just be cheaper and easier to take the clunker fee rather than cleaning, checking, certifying it as a good used vehicle or transporting it to an auction where they may or may not get more for it? Especially if they are getting lots of vehicles like this in?

Of course some dealers might say they're putting the truck in the clunker program, and in fact be giving $3500 as a trade in for a truck that should have been worth more. I hope that's not what happened here. If so the truck is saved but the owner was fleeced.

I'm not understanding why the owner is getting fleeced. If he was expecting $3500 and got it, how does that fleece him?

I'm not understanding why the owner is getting fleeced. If he was expecting $3500 and got it, how does that fleece him?

Because he actually had more than he thought he did in this vehicle's value. If someone were to offer to sell me their father's old chevy for $500, and I happen to know it's fuelie 'Vette worth much more, I'd be fleecing him by taking the deal.

In both cases the guy getting fleeced is (or would be) doing it willingly for lack of adequate information. A buyer can fleece himself as well as any seller can.

Trying to get a good deal on everything is not the same.

If someone brings in a truck worth $10,000 and the dealer tells them it is only worth $4500, the dealer is trying to fleece them.

If someone brings in a truck worth $10,000 and demands $4500 for it. They have fleeced themselves through their own stupidity by not knowing what it is worth.

The car or truck traded in under the Cash for Clunkers program has to be running.

Now, if it has a blown head gasket and it drives in leaking water on the ground and blowing water vapor out the tailpipe, that is OK. Under the rules, it qualifies, it was drivable when brought to the dealer.

So, if you can get it running for the last few feet to limp into the dealer, DO IT!

Joe

It also has to have been licensed and insured for the prior year to qualify. What good would it do for mileage or pollution to get a POS junker out of someone's back yard?

I heard that the car was supposed to be running/registered for the previous 5 years, but I could be mistaken.

I heard that the car was supposed to be running/registered for the previous 5 years, but I could be mistaken.

No, Barry's right. The vehicle has to be registered to the current owner trading it in for at least 1 year, with proof provided at trade-in.

It also has to have been licensed and insured for the prior year to qualify. What good would it do for mileage or pollution to get a POS junker out of someone's back yard?

If you get the POS out of YOUR back yard, it gives you a better view of the POS sitting in your neighbor;s yard or the mobile home parked next to you.

Sorry....listening to wayyyy too much Jeff Foxworthy.....

Joe

No, Barry's right. The vehicle has to be registered to the current owner trading it in for at least 1 year, with proof provided at trade-in.

Insured and the plates may still be good. Morally it is wrong IMO but blowing a $4,500 windfall is reason to think about it.

Any truth to the goverment getting a direct link to your computer if you go for this deal, and a lifetime survalance of your day to day life? That may make the $4,500 a bad deal, and I'd loose the storage shed on wheels. I like Jeff Foxworthy too.

Any truth to the goverment getting a direct link to your computer if you go for this deal, and a lifetime survalance of your day to day life?

None whatsoever. This was a disingenuous viral email that was picked up and promoted on Fox News by Glenn Beck. It was a straight-up lie intended to deceive, like a lot of this stuff.:mad::(

Edited by Dave@Moon
can't type! (see edit history)

Yet as I mentioned in another post, this all has to do with politics. And if Obama and his gang hadnt gotten into the new and used car industry, there would be no politics to discuss. Blame those who voted for the slogans and bumper stickers, for these car/political discussions

Edited by 1948Lincoln (see edit history)