There is nothing wrong with Chinese tires.

I have used them with success for many years.

During that time - interstate road maintenance has gone to hell in a handbag.

More road debris = more flat tires and blowouts.

Gladiator ST 225/90/R 16 G load range 14 ply are the current tires I use.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The Ocala Winter National trip was expensive as busted all four of the trailer's Goodyear Marathons(Chinese made) plus a "Loadstar" (Chinese).   Oh the Goodyears were 4 years old.  Friends towed same mileage on Goodyear Endurance (USA) no issues.  No issues observed by the TPMS screen.

Robert

Nni7Vo+kSWGQCWbTGoyJBw.jpg

pBPlToQoTwm6EQqVBimWFA.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 7:49 AM, Trulyvintage said:

Good news for those looking for an American made trailer tire .... 

Starting earlier this year Goodyear introduced an American Made ST Trailer Tire.

@ https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html 

I buy my at Discount Tire/America's Tire Store because they offer free replacement certificates that are not based on pro-rated tire tread

I have been running them all year long on my triple axle 34 foot enclosed car hauler trailer

Jim 

Now if Michelin would only make em!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2009 at 1:05 AM, Marty Roth said:

Charlier,

Your inspection technician isn't entirely wrong, but he did over-simplify in my opinion.

The fact is that, having done ALL the right things with regard to loading, pressure, maintenance, etc., my less-than-one-year-old trailer with 6000lb axles and new Load-Range E tires blew the inside sidewalls on three of the first five tires (I bought new Michelins before the other 2 had a chance to blow). This was on our first two trips, and I check air pressure at 80psi EVERY MORNING. One of them blew overnight, splitting a sidewall in the driveway; another Popped Very Loudly, also splitting the sidewall in 10mph traffic during a hurricane evacuation.

What these DEFECTIVE tires had in common was that they were ALL MADE IN CHINA -- IRONMAN brand, which I was told is a Carlisle sub-brand -- they are 235/85-R16 LR"E".

"Buy-American" isn't such bad advice -- it might even save your life as well as your job.

If they don't have ST in the beginning of the size they are not trailer tires.

5 hours ago, 64SportFury426 said:

If they don't have ST in the beginning of the size they are not trailer tires.

On 5/28/2009 at 12:05 AM, Marty Roth said:

Charlier,

Your inspection technician isn't entirely wrong, but he did over-simplify in my opinion.

The fact is that, having done ALL the right things with regard to loading, pressure, maintenance, etc., my less-than-one-year-old trailer with 6000lb axles and new Load-Range E tires blew the inside sidewalls on three of the first five tires (I bought new Michelins before the other 2 had a chance to blow). This was on our first two trips, and I check air pressure at 80psi EVERY MORNING. One of them blew overnight, splitting a sidewall in the driveway; another Popped Very Loudly, also splitting the sidewall in 10mph traffic during a hurricane evacuation.

What these DEFECTIVE tires had in common was that they were ALL MADE IN CHINA -- IRONMAN brand, which I was told is a Carlisle sub-brand -- they are 235/85-R16 LR"E".

"Buy-American" isn't such bad advice -- it might even save your life as well as your job.

Thank you for your expertise, and yes, we're well aware that if they don't have the ST prefix, they're not trailer tires -
but that is not always a negative, in my opinion-
Some (quality) truck tires actually function better and more dependably on trailers than designated trailer tires - as evidenced by my personal experience, generally trailering in excess of 10,000 miles annually, and sometimes much more.

In  fact, the original IRONMAN 235/85R-16 which were delivered on my custom built all aluminum car hauler - the ones you appear to have noted from my nearly 12-year-old post
are actually ST235/85R-16 LRE TRAILER TIRES, (I simply quoted the size, not mentioning the "ST" at the time of that very old post). 
The IRONMANs were Made in China as a believed sub-brand of Carlisle, and as previously noted, were PURE DANGEROUS JUNK, as evidenced by the first three Blowing Out in short order. 
The "surprises" were despite the relatively new Date Codes, daily inspection for 80 psi pressure, and for condition. I kept the other two as evidence of what not to buy. 

I have generally used Michelin LT235/85R-18 LRE since that time, with full knowledge that they are Light Truck Tires - NOT Trailer Tires, 
and have been Fully Satisfied with the quality, the Service, and the fact that I replace them based upon age rather than simply wear.
Since last year, and upon the suggestion of Edinmass (above), I bought a set of Sailun (yes, made in China) - no problems so far!

The SAILUN tires I use, suggested by edinmass ,are Load Range "G"

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I run 14 ply ST 16 inch trailer tires made in China.

I pull a 35 foot enclosed trailer every day.

I have never had a blow out.

There is a Wannabe Hauler who boasts about running passenger car tires on his car hauler trailer

because they last a long time - but he has no insurance and does stop at weigh stations.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I run the best tire I can find........rated for 4400 pounds..........and it weighs twice what a Goodyear does.......I have 75k on mine, and I haul heavier than almost anyone in the car hobby with big cars............I stil have more than 60 percent tread. Tire is 145.00. It’s the only thing in China that’s well made. All steel casement. Basically a 16 inch tractor trailer tire....Sailun S637 trailer only tire.

80CBD0E7-F48B-4D7A-B6D7-DC17FFDF9E18.png

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I run the best tire I can find........rated for 4400 pounds..........and it weighs twice what a Goodyear does.......I have 75k on mine, and I haul heavier than almost anyone in the car hobby with big cars............I stil have more than 60 percent tread. Tire is 145.00. It’s the only thing in China that’s well made. All steel casement. Basically a 16 inch tractor trailer tire....Sailun S637 trailer only tire.

Hopefully someday Sailun will make a tire that fits my trailer. Until then, I will keep buying MAXXIS M8008 ST tires for my trailer.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, charlier said:

Hopefully someday Sailun will make a tire that fits my trailer. Until then, I will keep buying MAXXIS M8008 ST tires for my trailer.

I am currently running the Maxxis M8008s myself & got 95,000 on the enclosed trailer with the last set. I was very disappointed in the Goodyear Endurance tires, got only half that mileage on a set of those. I loved the Marathons, never had an issue with them. However since I run 120-155k per year, they didn't sit around dry rotting. Before those I ran more than a decade with Yokahama LT tires & never had any problems with them either. I have been blessed to not have had any issues with tires over my 36+ year career of being a transporter. Part of that is because I don't buy cheapo trailers & my stuff always stays inside my heated building when not in use ( I am not homeless) & I am anal about maintenance & doing all my work myself I know what I am doing. 

• Like 2