Rare car, how much is it worth? 1966 Pontiac Lemans Sprint

Rusty Craig

My dad has a 1966 pontiac Lemans sprint. I guess there were only around 750 produced so it's extremely rare. The car came from CA and has little rust, straight body, and still runs. All original and can still see a little bit of the racing stripe in the paint. Needs work but would be the perfect project car. The VIN is 237176Z600907 Any info would help. Thanks

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty Craig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad has a 1966 pontiac Lemans sprint. I guess there were only around 750 produced so it's extremely rare. The car came from CA and has little rust, straight body, and still runs. All original and can still see a little bit of the racing stripe in the paint. Needs work but would be the perfect project car. The VIN is 237176Z600907 Any info would help. Thanks </div></div>

You may want to double check that. According to your VIN your car was the 907th off the line.

As for value here is what Manhiem Gold Says (value from unrunning project car on left to show car on right)

2D COUPE 1966-67 230/165 6C 2,500 4,600 6,500 9,000

If you have pictures post them. Maybe someone can help narrow the field down. I agree to just put it on Ebay and see where it goes if you want to sell it.

Considering how many cars were produced in the 5 digit number range, I would say that 750 IS very rare. Not like a one-off, but certainly rare. I can't see in any of my books that there were 750 of that particular car made, but it would be a rare care if that were so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me add that just because something's rare doesn't make it desirable or valuable. </div></div>

Amen to that. As I like to point out, green interiors were rare when new because they were not popular. That doesn't make them any more desirable or valuable now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me add that just because something's rare doesn't make it desirable or valuable. </div></div>

Cow poop in the subway is rare, that doesn't make it worth more than regular cow poop.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty Craig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is there a book or something that we could find out more about the car and how many were actually produced? </div></div>

If your hoping for a low production number to escalate it's worth dont bother. The Sprint package gives about a 5% boost to the price. Its actually a Tempest Lemans with Sprint Package. Do you know if the car has Air Conditioning? What engine?

Try www.nadaguides.com

Are you trying to sell it, appraise it for insurance, restore it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnpaul Ragusa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your hoping for a low production number to escalate it's worth dont bother. The Sprint package gives about a 5% boost to the price. Its actually a Tempest Lemans with Sprint Package. Do you know if the car has Air Conditioning? What engine? </div></div>

"What engine?"

The whole point of the Sprint package was the engine. It was a high performance version of the Pontiac OHC inline six, with higher compression, split exhaust manifolds, and a 4bbl carb. If your price reference that claims the 5% premium doesn't even differentiate that the engine in this package is unique, then I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the values it contains (that plus the fact that these cars sell so infrequently that statistically meaningful auction data probably doesn't exist).

Here's a period magazine ad:

6580530013_large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnpaul Ragusa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your hoping for a low production number to escalate it's worth dont bother. The Sprint package gives about a 5% boost to the price. Its actually a Tempest Lemans with Sprint Package. Do you know if the car has Air Conditioning? What engine?

Try www.nadaguides.com

Are you trying to sell it, appraise it for insurance, restore it? </div></div>

The Sprint option package on a 1966 Tempest included probably the last true high-compression 6 cylinder American engine. For $121 the buyer got an extra 42 hp from a 10.5:1 compression engine, 4 brl. carb, suspension and drivetrain upgrades, plus a few unique dress-up items, including the stripes Rusty referred to. They are quite desirable.

They were also faster and more expensive than a 326 cu. in. V8 LeMans. ( see cardomain.com link )

I don't know of an accurate production number for the package (the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Pontiac</span> lists it as "undetermined"), but they <span style="text-decoration: underline">are</span> quite rare. I remember seeing one at Carlisle about 20 year ago, and that's it.

The VIN number is only for Tempests built at that plant. The Sprint was not a unique model.

One in mint condition sold at a Mecum auction in October ( Lot F141, St. Charles, IL ). Does anyone have access to their site to get the final bid amount?

Rusty,

That '66 LeMans Sprint at Mecum was bid up to $15,000 and didn't sell, understandable for what appears to be a nice car.

From the auction page:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Sprint with its overhead cam 6 cylinder engine has been gaining recognition among car collectors recently

- Only OHC engine made in America during the 1950's & 1960's

- High output engine

- 4-speed transmission

- Bill of sale

- Protect-O-Plate

- <span style="color: #FF0000">More rare than a GTO</span></div></div>

The Tempest, Tempest Custom, and LeMans were separate series, and the Sprint Package could be ordered in all three for '66. For '67, the package was also available in the Firebird. GTO's are plentiful and many "Tribute Goats" have been made, the Sprints are rare and worth keeping. Here's a link to some cool pages from someone who (thankfully) resisted the urge to muck up a '66 Sprint to make an ersatz GTO.

You should be very proud to own one.

In late-1968, Max Factor created a line of men's toiletries called, <span style="font-style: italic">"GTO"</span>.

68h_00233_1.jpg

Max_Factor_GTO.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

Curiously, the cologne & after shave when packaged together came in a box called <span style="font-style: italic">"the sprint."</span> This barely-used example resides in my medicine chest.

TG

Don't let the "nattering nabobs of negativism" get you down--the "hot rod six" Pontiac is a truly cool machine, and a really significant car in American automotive history, IMHO. I admired a local one at a car show in my area a few years ago, then did some historical research about it (since I was unfamiliar), which made me appreciate it even more (engine photo of the car that I took below). Good luck and have fun with it!

189101967PontiacTempestSprintEng.JPG

Hi, I bought a new Tempest Sprint in 1966 but mine was a 2 dr coupe,not a Lemans, 4speed positraction and power steering I think I paid $2800, things have changed!! It was a great car

and a lot of fun, used to surprise many 289 Mustangs, after a little fender bender, I replaced the hood with one from a GTO,

it looked great, color was marina tourquise and I think the int.was green , bench seat in front. A lot of great memories, still remember the exhaust sound, like no other American car.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: Barry WolkLet me add that just because something's rare doesn't make it desirable or valuable.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cow poop in the subway is rare, that doesn't make it worth more than regular cow poop. </div></div>

Yeah, but in the subway it sure costs a lot more to clean it up than it does down on the farm. laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That '66 LeMans Sprint at Mecum was bid up to $15,000 and didn't sell, understandable for what appears to be a nice car.</div></div>

While I agree that the Sprint is a rare and collectible auto, I will also point out that unless cash actually changes hands at a sale, any "reserve not met" prices are meaningless. Same thing goes for ebay.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That '66 LeMans Sprint at Mecum was bid up to $15,000 and didn't sell, understandable for what appears to be a nice car.</div></div>

While I agree that the Sprint is a rare and collectible auto, I will also point out that unless cash actually changes hands at a sale, any "reserve not met" prices are meaningless. Same thing goes for ebay. </div></div>

If reserve isnt met the auctioneer can "shill" if you will so really it means bupkiss.

As for my question on the engine, I guess I meant to ask if it was the original engine.

I had a 67 Tempest Custom Sprint 2dr hardtop. It was not close to mint but decent and sold it in the low teens at a Florida auction. I had it for sale for a long time at around $20,000 when GTO's were still up in the $30's. Seemed fair as Sprints are rare due to poor survial rate. The engines as much fun as they were tended to have valve train problems and wore out fast.

Also, I found that I had very few calls on the car, not because of condition or price but because so few guys know the Sprints and how special they were. So when I did get a call the guys knew exactly what it was and what they were looking for, but they were few and far between. I bet a 326 V8 Lemans would sell quicker and they are as common as dirt.

There is a mint condition red 67 LeMans Sprint hardtop in our town right now and I believe the man is asking someplace in the high $20's for it. It is spectacular. I could give anyone his number if you want.

I would recommend ordering a report on the car from Pontiac Historical Services. A PHS report will be a big help. There web address is.... http://www.phs-online.com

I hope that helps.

Guest John Chapman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty Craig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad sent some photos in the mail, should be here in a few days so i'll post them. Where do I add pictures? </div></div>

Rusty, you might consider going to the Ponitac - Oakland Club and to High Performance Pontiac for some more feedback on the Sprint.

I've known these cars since new, when by happenstance, there were two LeMans Sprints and a Firebird Sprint in my neighborhood. Discussion on rarity aside, they are very desirable cars for all the reasons cited. I'd say you've got yourself a family heirloom.

I'm jealous.

Cheers,

JMC

• 2 months later...
Guest Al Swearingen

I guess I'm chiming in late, but I just read this, registered and thought I'd ad my .02 cents.

First, I also own a '66 LeMans Sprint and have been in the GTO/Pontiac hobby for many years, yet, I don't call myself an expert, just fairly knowlegable. I saw a '66 Sprint at a GTO show a few years back, also did research and found the car to be extremely interesting. I began my search and found one a coule years ago, needs work but an original #s matching car and with factory A/C. I have the build sheet and all is correct.

There were many OHC6 cars that were 'donated' to the GTO clone cause so many were lost, even a few Sprints. Does this make them rare? Rarity vs value is in the eye and the pocket book of those looking but.. there were not many Sprints built.

I even had several suggest that mine would make a good clone. But, after finding out that they are a GREAT car I'm proud to say that I bought the car because it was an OHC6 Sprint. And plan on keeping it that way, even though I may still 'play' with it since I've also aquired a tri-power set up for the side draft on the OHC engine, it's real cool! Now that tri-power set up.... it's a rare.

Mr. Wangers stopped by my garage a couple Christmas's ago, spent more time looking over my Sprint than he did looking at the '67 GTO HO convertible in restoration process sitting beside it. He was very surprised to see the factory A/C and commented that "not many Sprints were built, and very very few with air conditioning." He also went on to talk about how added options stole from the horse power etc etc.

As already mentioned, the Sprint package was mainly the OHC6 with the 4bbl Rochester carb mounted sideways, a 'split' exhaust manifold that went from 6 (3x2) into 2 into one. I believe the engine was cammed different for the 4bbl as well. The 'package' came with the ride and handling package on all Sprints, the 'Sprint' stripes along the side, most cars recieved the 3 spd manual tranny however, the 4spd and automatic was available as well.

The "Sprint" package was available on the Tempest, LeMans and the Firebird sedans, coupes and convertibles. However, I've seen documented cases where the 4bbl OHC engine was installed in station wagons but the Sprint identifiers were not used and they were not considered Sprints.

My car came originally a candlelight cream, black interior, black "Sprint" stripe, 3spd manual, 3.23 rear axle, buckets, AM, A/C, and a couple other options. However, when it's done, it will have the tri-power added (era build Man A Fre 3x2bbl intake), head rest recliner seats, AM/FM reverb, NOS OHC rally gauges and a smile on my face while I drive it.

Rusty, if you would like to talk more about the Sprint, I'd be happy to get with you via email.

Keep the car, enjoy the car, it's not something that many will have or see around. It's not one that alot of people will know what it is, but those of us that do, will really appriciate it.

Al Swearingen

GTO_AL@yahoo.com

1966 LeMans Sprint

1967 GTO convertible, HO, M21 (ya, it's rare too lol)

Yes, Rusty if you come back and read this I agree that this is a car real Pontiac people find interesting and collectable. They do not find it worth $100,000 or anything, but it is an uncommon (to not say rare) example of Pontiac history, and as Al said, even the most experienced Pontiac people will take a special interest when one appears. Not to mention that the 1966 LeMans is one of the sharpest looking mid size cars ever. You can have the looks of a GTO in a very unique and interesting package that John Delorean supposedly envisioned as the beginnings of a more European take on what a performance car could be. Very nice, hope you get some enjoyment from it.

• 2 years later...
Guest tinman_34

hello three months ago i bought a 1966 pontiac but i dont know if its sprint or not "how can i tell" there is no motor but the vin says its a non v-8 model with a s speed auto on floor i was told it was a sprint car but i see no signes besides finding the vin ..

hello three months ago i bought a 1966 pontiac but i dont know if its sprint or not "how can i tell" there is no motor but the vin says its a non v-8 model with a s speed auto on floor i was told it was a sprint car but i see no signes besides finding the vin ..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You bought a 1966 Pontiac? What model? If it's a sprint it would come with sports striping, special emblems saying OHC sprint in the middle of the sports stripe on the front fenders. They came stock with a heavy duty three speed FLOOR HURST shifter, Heavy duty suspension, padded dash and the engine with a more aggressive cam and a quadra jet four barrel carburetor with chrome pancake louvered air cleaner at 207HP., split flow exhaust manifolds ( three into one times two ). A four speed was optional. I see no a/t option for a sprint and, in all Tempest wagons the sprint was not available. In the picture that was taken of John DeLorean standing next to the OHC it is of note that the engine is a one barrel 165HP non sprint engine ( you can tell because it has the one barrel carburetor air cleaner. In 1968-69 the engine was enlarged to 250 cu. inches and the horsepower was rated at 215 hp.

In 66-67 Knafel Pontiac and Royal Pontiac campaigned Tempest sprints for drag racing. I think the Knafel Pontiac was a national record holder with quarter mile times in the high 14's @ around 92 mph, which would certainly blow the doors off most small V-8's of the day.

The valve train was developed by Mac Makellar to be used originally on 389 and 421 V-8 engines, but after GM told Pontiac and Chevy to get out of racing in Jan. 1963, the only engine to come out of Pontiac's advanced engineering was the OHC six. This engine was better suited for a sports car and in 1966 DeLorean had one already made for it. Unfortunately GM corporate didn't like the idea and told him to scrap it and the idea. GM Corporate told Pontiac division to make a Pontiac out of the Camaro instead.

The old saying at Pontiac was "if they would just leave us alone". Because of these and many more decisions on Pontiac and Oldsmobile by corporate is the reason they no longer exist today.

Don

FYI you can see the sprint badge on the front fender in the competition stripe.http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2633/1061/6580530013_large.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest Siegfried

Al, superb and informative post. I recall the Pontiac overhead cam 6. I was a teenager back then, and the Pontiac 6 was an amazing motor. A genuine standout in a motoring world that was love with V-8's.

How many of you all recall the early Firebirds with the overhead cam 6? Absolutely astounding performance, and good handling to boot! Now there was a combination that most muscle cars could not achieve.

It was a sad day when GM retired the Pontiac marque. In my opinion Pontiac was one of the leaders in the automotive world up through the 70tys. They built good cars as did Oldsmobile. Sure do hope that Buick is not going to be the next to go.