Hershey Region

Guest rwmerz

My first time back at hershey for last couple years a big congradulations for a great show

may i ask how many members in the hershey region

thanks

No.

Hershey region has a cap on the number of members they have. It used to be that you had to wait until someone "expired" before they could take from the list. I don't remember what the cap is, but they are currently below it. I think they have kept a waiting list, so that they know you really want to belong to the region. I think the reasoning is that if you are willing to wait to get in, you really want to be a member. I waited for at least 2 years. Maybe longer. Last year, there was only one meeting where they accepted new members. The waiting list is not near as long as it used to be.

Once you're in, in order to stay in, you need to attend 4 meetings/events per year for the first 2 years.

Paul

Glad I don't live near Hershey and have to wait on a list to get into the regional group! I would think that welcoming new members is what the clubs are all about. Why, oh why would you stifle anyone's dream to get a car restored or to get information for their car or to cruise with others in that club??? It DOES seem snobbish and I don't see ANY reason to limit one's membership unless they have been proven to be a total flake and would hinder the club functions. Here at the group I belong to, S.O.J.A.C.C. (State Of Jefferson Antique Car Club) in southern Oregon, we welcome all who want to join. We are into our cars and not the politics. In fact, you don't even have to live in our town OR own an antique car. We are just glad to have you to share more old cars or old car interest. We in our club define our club as being "dedicated to the preservation of pre-1932 historic automobiles", but we are rather loose on the requirements of membership. We don't require a car or even to keep the year under 1932...we just welcome anyone with similar interests to ours. It has been a reality that younger folks are interested in cars other than our pre-1932 statement. They want to bring in and see muscle cars and other special interest cars. If we all have the same basic interest...CARS, why pick and choose members?

In my opinion, there are too many AACA regions. There seems to be a lot of geographic overlap in some places. For example, in Northern Ohio, where I live, there are 5 AACA regions each with 30 - 50 families. They are all within 60 miles of eachother. Why not combine all 5 into one big region? Take a look at the AACA magazine where they have all the regions listed. Look at Pennsylvania. It almost seems like every little town in PA has it's own region. Someone please explain the login to this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it is possible to join Hershey Region without waiting? </div></div>

Unless things have drastically changed I believe we both know the answer to this.

I am glad that I joined the Gettysburg region and didn't wait year(s) to be accepted into Hershey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K8096</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, there are too many AACA regions. There seems to be a lot of geographic overlap in some places. For example, in Northern Ohio, where I live, there are 5 AACA regions each with 30 - 50 families. They are all within 60 miles of eachother. Why not combine all 5 into one big region? Take a look at the AACA magazine where they have all the regions listed. Look at Pennsylvania. It almost seems like every little town in PA has it's own region. Someone please explain the login to this. </div></div>

No.

Ohio has two regions, Guernsey Region and Ohio Region. The Ohio Region has 7 chapters around the state.

Quick answer: Join the one that is closest to you, the one you have friends in or several as a lot of our members are involved in several regions or chapters. AACA regions and chapters would not exist if the members did not not find value in the ones that they enjoy. AACA relies on its numerous regions and chapters to stay active and promote the hobby. Yearly we have some chapters become regions and some groups that start new or fade away. The "marketplace" determines the numbers, not us and overall it seems to work well. We have committees that work on trying to make the system better every year.

There are many members like my parents and I that belong to multiple regions/chapters. When we lived in NY we belonged to the GVACS and Wayne Drumlin Regions. Since being in NC we belong to the NC Region (but none of the chapters), Alamance Region (use to be a NC Region chapter), Deep River Region. For me the NC region functions can be as close as 15min away upto about a 4hour drive one way for something going on at the coast. Alamance Region is 18 min drive and Deep River is over in Colfax and pushing an hour drive. Matter of fact thier meeting is this evening.

With the different regions you'll find some that focus on only showing cars, some that focus only on touring, some that is an even mixture of both. You'll find some that are very active in doing things other than just a monthly meeting and others that are happy simply meeting once a month. You might need to "shop around" and find the right club for your interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad I don't live near Hershey and have to wait on a list to get into the regional group! I would think that welcoming new members is what the clubs are all about.</div></div>There are many regions near Hershey. Hershey Region isn't against welcoming new members. The problem is that the Hershey Region is <span style="font-weight: bold">BIG</span>. Look at the situations in your own regions and think to yourself, could your own region manage to hold a meeting or an activity to accomodate 700 people???

I wish we had the problem of having too many people wanting to join our region. The Hershey Region has a lot, but they have a lot because they work a lot. Them restricting the amount of new members isn't about being 'snobby' it's about a management issue.

If every member of the Hershey Region attends one function, you'd have more cars in the parking lot than what shows up at many of the national meets.

I guess that explains it very well and I really appreciate that insight. I never realized that there were 700+ or - members in your area. I would find it very difficult to accommodate that many in this area, also. Thanks for the answer.

Just wondering what is the definition of what a "Region" and a "Chapter" are?

These terms are used a lot but seldom clearly defined (at least on the AACA web site).

What is the difference between the two? Is one bigger than the other (size or membership)?

Is a Region made of of Chapters within it's territory?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is a Region made of of Chapters within it's territory? </div></div>

Yes, my understanding is a chapter is sponsored by a specific region and is usually made up of members who are too far away from the region to travel to region meetings and events on a regular basis.

The bylaws are clear on the definitions.

The easy analogy for me is:

AACA is sort of like the Federal Government

Region is sort of like the state government

Chapter is sort of like local government.

That is a good analogy of how it is in the NC Region, but I realize that the majority of AACA does not really work this way. In most areas of the country, separate local clubs are Regions. Most Regions do not have any chapters. In the NC region, the chapters work together relatively well and support each other's chapter events as well as participating in Region Events.

Here is the governing language from AACA Bylaws:

ARTICLE 7 - REGIONS AND CHAPTERS

Section 7.1. Any group of fifteen or more members of AACA must make written

application on an approved form to the Board for a Regional Charter.

Section 7.2. Five or more members of AACA must apply on an approved form to the

governing board of a Region for a Chapter under the administration of the Region.

Section 7.3. All applications for Regions and Chapters must be submitted to the Vice

President - Regions for review and submission to the Board for approval.

Section 7.4. Only the Board may issue charters to Regions and Chapters, and approve the

names thereof.

Section 7.5. The Board may revoke the charter of any Region or Chapter at any time upon

prior reasonable notice and opportunity to be heard.

Section 7.6. Every member of a Region or Chapter must also be a Member of AACA.

Section 7.7. Every Honorary Member of a Region must be a Member of AACA.

Section 7.8. A Chapter shall be a unit under the jurisdiction of a Region.

Section 7.9. Regions and Chapters shall avoid, where possible, scheduling activities which

will conflict with an AACA National activity previously scheduled.

Section 7.10. Before March 1st of each year, Regions and Chapters must submit to AACA

their Officer Reporting Forms as well as an accurate list of their members for that year.

Section 7.11. Each Region and Chapter shall send to AACA for review, an accurate and

current copy of its Articles or Certificate of Incorporation or Organization, Constitution, if

any, and Bylaws. Subsequent changes thereto are to be forwarded in the same manner by any

existing Region or Chapter.

Section 7.12. In the event that a Region or Chapter is dissolved, and the monies of that

Region's treasury remain undistributed, unless otherwise required by law, such funds shall be

transferred to AACA.

No I'm not from the Hershey area, but over the last couple of years I've gotten to know a few of their members, and understand what they do and why.

I spoke at length with the Hershey Region president this year and was surprised at how they do things relating to the show and why. The more I learn about the Hershey Region, the more I am surprised at what they do and how they do it. They really are a group of very hard workers.