What do you look for when you buy a car?

MarkV

Guest imported_PackardV8

Depends on what kind of use the car is intended for!!!!

For a grocery getter i buy whatever i get the best deal on and preferably something very plain. Something that is just heater, hubcaps and rubber floormats and AC and power brakes. That's all. I AVOID power windows and seats completely in ANY vehicle for ANY intended use. I'd rather pay extra NOT to have power windows or seats.

For profiling cars i look for the classic lines, LONG hood, short deck, long wheelbase, sleek, rakeish and very fleet looking.

The biggest problem with cars is the same problem i've had with women all of my life: The better they look the MORE TROUBLE they are.

Yes, life is short, but big motorcycles and fast women over the years are sending me to an early grave.

It has changed over the years but I admit looks is right up there. If the vehicle is not attractive to me I will not buy, even if everything else is right "on paper". Will probably buy a new car in the next year or so. We currently have two newer Explorers, I like the looks, relatively comfortable, good performance and aside from replacing the heater controls on both (when you own two of the same models, you get familiar with what may be design/quality issues) pretty dependable. 4WD is also something we want with at least one vehicle.

Economy will probably play a role in the next one, though. Probably ready to go to one SUV (wife will never surrender hers.) and a car. Was hoping to look for a late model Cadillac DTS but am not so sure lately, with gas prices going up to no end in sight. I may look at a more economical car instead. I have been reasonably impressed with my son's VW although it has had a couple electrical issues.

I also look at resale and reliability. I firmly believe the US has closed the quality gap w/Asians but perceptions remain and resale is generally lower on a domestic car. I just have choosen to live with that in recent years. Last 5 New cars, 4 have been American. So I guess that may be a factor to some degree. Depends on new or used.

I try to stay with more mainstream daily drivers these days so the maintenance and attention can go into the old stuff!

1. looks

2. legroom for the driver. I hate my knees in the dashboard or off to the side against center console. My 2001 Impala is comfortable. Mom and dad had a 2005 and when they were looking at trading it I said fine as I didn't want it. Their 2007 a really nice car, but I still have the leg room problem as with the 2005 car.

3. price/warrenty, etc.

I like one that is PAID FOR,like my 2002 Dodge truck which i bought new.If i want something "new" i'll buy another old car,hehe.Actually i'm waiting for Dodge to make a Dakota with a multi-fuel system that gets alot better gas mileage.Mine still has long ways to go before it "retires".Did like the comment about non-powered windows.My truck doesn't have alot of fancy features and i like it that way too:).

Jeff Mealer

Mt. Juliet,TN.

Guest Skyking

The last "Brand new" car I bought was in 1989, a Chrysler LeBaron convertible which gave us very dependable sevice for 15 years. The last two, my Century & Dodge truck were 3 years old when I bought them. I prefer buying a newer used car rather than brand new, although I like Chryslers new warranty program. My next car or truck will probably be another Chrysler product or another Buick......

I look for the Tri-shield and then true blue blood. By that I mean give me a car made entirely by it's manufacturer, that's why I leaned to the 06 La Crosse with the 3800 motor. Of course that means this may be my last "new" car".

I also look at past performance, another reason I chose the 3800. I do not need complicated motors that have 24 valves or triple overhead camshafts and six speed transmissions. I want tried and true with hopefully less problems for the long term. I usually keep my new cars for ten years except the two Fords I bought which were let go in six years for the first and three years for the 2nd.

I also want a car that looks good proportionally as well as stylish. I know I'll be spending a bundle and for that I want to smile each time I get in it to go anywhere, rather than lament I have to make the next payment.

I also look for versility, which is pretty high on most manufacturers lists today across the board. For example I like those rear seats that fold forward for increasing trunk space, and the telescopic steering wheel.

JD

For my daily driver I look for quality and economy first, in that order. Appearance means almost nothing, and in fact I'd rate almost all my daily drivers uglier than average at best. Practicality is all I'll ever be able to afford on a day-to-day basis, and I absolutely <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">hate</span></span> to have to repair a daily driver.

For my antiques appearance is almost all that matters, although the fun-to-drive quotient has driven me to antique sports cars of late. The practicality of the purchase means nothing, and I can Walter Mitty myself into Nirvanna at will. If I need to work on the antique, well that's usually <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #009900">fun</span></span>!

Guest JDHolmes

They have to speak to me, tell me their name and how they want to live out their life. If they don't have a soul, I pass. But, to start trying to talk to them, they must have a look I like, have promise for a brighter future, and some hope of bringing me some enjoyment as I help to let them fulfill themselves.

Unless I hit Lotto I'll never be in the Brand New car market. I have more car/motorcycle projects tha my lifetime will see finished. NEVER buy a car you don't like looking at, even free ones you are taking to the crusher. Car must be worth twice its cost in parts before I buy it.