Stude to El Camino marriage

kgreen

Driving through southwest Georgia today and noticed a unique pairing of a 50/51 Studebaker ad an 80's El Camino; A studemino?  The driveway was chained and marked for no trespassing so I didn't dare knock or linger too long other than to take this photo.  From my view at the street, the body work was amazing.  I wish I could have got a closer look. 

Studeranchero.JPG

• Like 1

About 20 years ago, there was a Studemino that belonged to a wrecking yard in the San Fernando Valley. It had a Hawk front clip. It was well done and seamless looking. It could have been a factory offering if you didn't know better. The early bullet nose on the late EL Camino looks a bit anachronistic to me

The truth is the first one of these was a special project done in secret at Studebaker.  I talked to an old retired Studebaker employee who clearly remembers seeing the first one thru a broken window in the otherwise blacked out design studio. None were supposed to be released to the public but one of the engineers managed to divert one on its way to be scrapped and kept it under wraps for years before making it public. All the others are copies of this design study.  Look for it at a car show near you. It will be parked right next to the Tucker Convertible.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Imagine how disappointed my Brother was when Mom told him I bought a Ferrari. He rushed over and I showed him my new Volare.

I remember telling everyone my mom bought a brand new '"vette".     However, she did get 15 years out of her new Chevette, though.

Craig

• Haha 1