'52 Skyliner?

TLoft

While browsing on an internet site I noticed an ad for "A 1952 Ford Skyliner Crown Victoria."  for sale.  I was not aware that such a car had been produced.  The seller claimed it was very rare and only 100 were made.  The picture showed what appeared to be a '52 Victoria with a plexiglass top as from a '54.  It did not say who actually produced the top but the impression left was that it had been made by Ford.  I don't know, maybe Ford did produce a Crown Victoria glass top in '52, but I've never heard of one and could be wrong.  I have no interest in the car one way or the other just curious.  Any feedback?  Thanks.

Years ago I knew a guy who had a Skyliner plexiglass roof in a 1951 Ford hardtop. It also had a 1954 Pontiac grille and 55 Pontiac side trim.

First Skyliner with plexiglass roof was 1954. This model used the same body as a 1952. It would be possible to weld a 1954 roof onto a 1952 body or put 1952 front clip and trim onto a 1954. I am sure a careful examination will reveal some such modifications.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Years ago I knew a guy who had a Skyliner plexiglass roof in a 1951 Ford hardtop. It also had a 1954 Pontiac grille and 55 Pontiac side trim.

First Skyliner with plexiglass roof was 1954. This model used the same body as a 1952. It would be possible to weld a 1954 roof onto a 1952 body or put 1952 front clip and trim onto a 1954. I am sure a careful examination will reveal some such modifications.

That makes sense. 

I have noticed a slight difference between '52 and '53, although it might not apply in this case.  The width of a '52 sedan is 73.9, the Country Squire is 74.3, however the width of a '53, both sedan and squire is 74.3.  This might mean that some items from the '52,  the hood for example,  could be slightly more narrow and except for the squire, might not fit on a '53.  I don't know.  Maybe some Ford guys could get into that. There are no interior pictures of the car discussed however exterior shots show it is a 1952. 

Edited by TLoft (see edit history)

This may be a bit off of the original topic of this thread, but I've had the opportunity to see a very unique Ford here in Paisley.  In 1954, the first year of the Ford overhead valve V-8, Ford produced for a select few dealers, a very few cars that had a Plexiglas vision panel in the hood, to more advantageously display the new V-8 to the public.  The only reason I know that is because a guy here in Paisley owns one, and it is 100% original.  I don't know what it's worth, but I think that it is an extremely rare car.  I'm not sure what the car was officially called/designated, but I'll bet that there are a few folks on this forum who know a lot about it.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

We have a couple of members in the '54 Ford Club of America that have the see through hood.  It was a dealer showroom hood used to show off the new OHV Y block for '54.  They very rare, made of plexiglass.  When you can get your hands on one, they run around $1400.  

IMG_2318.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Not quite related, but some of you might get a kick out of this.  The same guy that owns the above '54 uses this "baby '54" in parades.  I believe he built it himself out of a golf cart, using genuine '54 Ford parts.  It's quite quick! (Notice the Chevy behind it).

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

23 hours ago, capngrog said:

This may be a bit off of the original topic of this thread, but I've had the opportunity to see a very unique Ford here in Paisley.  In 1954, the first year of the Ford overhead valve V-8, Ford produced for a select few dealers, a very few cars that had a Plexiglas vision panel in the hood, to more advantageously display the new V-8 to the public.  The only reason I know that is because a guy here in Paisley owns one, and it is 100% original.  I don't know what it's worth, but I think that it is an extremely rare car.  I'm not sure what the car was officially called/designated, but I'll bet that there are a few folks on this forum who know a lot about it.

Cheers,

Grog

This must have been a fairly common thing. I saw at a new car show in 1964, a turbocharged Corvair with plexiglass hood displayed by the local dealer. Have heard of other cars that had them available, the oldest a 1949 Olds. I believe they were offered by the factory as a dealer display item. It might not appear in the regular catalog but in dealers' advertising catalogs.

I am suggesting they were offered to all dealers as an advertising novelty but only a few took them up.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Does the car have an OHV engine or flathead, does it have spindle bolts or ball joints, does the top cover curtain use snaps or zippers, is there a translucent top on the top of the speedometer housing, would take about two seconds to differentiate between a 52 and 54; but then there were no 52 Skyliners. I was the source for replacement plexiglass tops until I passed the job onto Pollard Plastics in Dallas,  which to my knowledge still makes them. Greg, at Pollard, designed the mold and my friend and I the trimming jig---both tricky but they fit better than the factory ones. Be ready to expand your profanity list if you have to work the rubber gasket down into place.

• Like 2

as a little aside in early 60s a friend and I using a hammer and chisel cut the roof of a 4 door 54 ford and put in a plexiglass roof we bought from a wrecking yard roof contour was different but it looked good from afar then made new headliner out a popular at the time leopard  skin blanket.must have left a few people scratching their heads and had experts arguing over the rare ?one off model they had seen.

Edited by 54vicky (see edit history)