Auto in old photo

Cheryl S

It looks exactly like the car in keiser31's post. Visor, headlamps, hood louvers, disc wheels with "Jaxon" clamps all point to Chevrolet 25-26.

2 minutes ago, DavidAU said:

She doesn't look happy.

Funny you say that. There are many photos of older women posted with cars on the HAMB  - Vintage shots from Days Gone By - and there are plenty of less than happy older women there. Plenty of smiles as well though.

• Like 1

Thank you all for responding.   Funny you say she doesn't look happy.  Supposedly she was not a happy person per her granddaughter.  Could it possibly be an early truck?  I obviously don't know much about cars.  But now I'm really confused because it does look very similar to the 1926 Chevy posted by keiser31 and this woman died in 1908

Edited by Cheryl S (see edit history)

No I know the woman she is supposed to be died in 1908.   S now I'm wondering if her granddaughter had her info correct.  But I have another photo of this woman holding the granddaughter and she looks to be the same person. 

I was thinking it was around 1905-1908 because telephone lines in rural areas weren't common until around 1905

Edited by Cheryl S
add info (see edit history)

9 hours ago, DavidAU said:

She doesn't look happy.

I think she is squinting in the sunlight, which is coming onto the left side of her face. Probably also trying to stand still for the photo with a longish exposure.

Those are not wires of any sort. They are cracks in the photo surface.

The lady's shoes are early to mid '20s too.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Cheryl, I guarantee you the lady in the picture did not die in 1908. Nowhere in the world were autos being built that looked like that in 1908 or earlier. I agree with Kaiser that she may have died in 1928, or the lady in the picture is not who you think it is. At any rate, the styling of the auto is mid 1920’s. 

Well, we CAN tell you that the car is a 1925-26 Chevrolet. What we CAN'T tell you is who that lady is, how old she is or when she died. We DO know that she had to have been alive at the moment the photo was taken. We also know that she could NOT have died in 1908 since the car is 18 or so years newer. You asked. We answered. I would say that the granddaughter is mistaken.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, Cheryl S said:

I was thinking it was around 1905-1908 because telephone lines in rural areas weren't common until around 1905.

I concur without a shred of doubt that the car is LONG past 1905,

so either the person is misidentified, or her believed

date of decease is off by a couple of decades.

If the car is indeed is a 1925-1926 Chevrolet--

and our experts here are very good--that establishes

that the picture is from those dates OR LATER.

(Did 1925 Chevrolets come out at the end of 1924?)

The car could be several years old in the picture,

meaning that the picture could be from, say, 1929 or 1930. 

Family recollections are NOT trustworthy.  I was raised by maternal Grandparents.  When trying to trace my Fathers family tree I contacted three uncles.  These as well as my Fathers second wife sent me the family history.  All four were at odds with one another.  I managed to  sort it out about 90%.  Now after contacting fifteen or sixteen people on Ancestory. com I realize what I had was only about 70% correct.  Now I have it 100% correct with official Government documents to back it up.

I think you guys have the car wrong.  If you blow up the hub I think you will see the difference.  It clearly looks to me like an Olds 4 Cyl of 1923 vintage.  Key is the hexagon shape in the center of the hub and the hub cover for the bolts. No time to get you a picture but I am sure some of you sleuths will look further to prove me wrong!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:16 PM, Cheryl S said:

No I know the woman she is supposed to be died in 1908.   S now I'm wondering if her granddaughter had her info correct.  But I have another photo of this woman holding the granddaughter and she looks to be the same person. 

I was thinking it was around 1905-1908 because telephone lines in rural areas weren't common until around 1905

No way this picture was taken in 1908 or earlier due to the carin the picture.  Either she didn't die on 1908 or it isn't the woman you have been told it is.  One thing about pcitures - they don't lie