Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KongaMan

KYB shocks for a 63-65

30 posts in this topic

I am extremely happy with the Bilsteins that I installed on my 63. I use the same brand on my old Volvo 940's which is why I got them for my Buick.

Pricey? Yes but not only do they give me a great ride, the shocks do also give me better control and, hopefully, will assist me in an emergency to save my car and my life.

I have my Riviera because I love to drive it and the Bilstens shocks together with the "GS" springs that I also bought transformed it to a more modern car whilst still being the milestone car that it is.

Interesting stuff when you start poking around a bit.  For example, the KYB rear shock references to a 1993-98 Toyota T100.  When you look for other shocks that fit that vehicle, you find the Bilstein 24-021289.  Similarly, the fronts also reference to the Belair, Corvette, etc.  And again, there are Bilsteins listed for those applications (part # 24-009461).  Unfortunately, Bilstein doesn't seem to have their specs readily available, so it's not clear exactly what you'd be getting or how well they might fit the Riviera.  If they do work, though, they are widely available for substantially less than the Bilsteins that are quoted for this car.

In one of the really early issues of the Riview (when it was typed, photocopied, and the pages were stapled together in the corner and the club was a 63 - 65 club) there was a reference to some OE shocks from other makes that would cross to the Riviera.  One was from a Dodge pickup.  I don't know the year or whether it was front or rear.  

If you know anyone in the parts business, ask him if you can look through his Shock Absorber \book.  It will give all of the dimensions for each shock.  Find the one for the Riviera then you need to manually start cross-referencing to see what has the same compression, extension, and what kind of mounts are on the bottom and the top.

Ed

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

In one of the really early issues of the Riview (when it was typed, photocopied, and the pages were stapled together in the corner and the club was a 63 - 65 club) there was a reference to some OE shocks from other makes that would cross to the Riviera.  One was from a Dodge pickup.  I don't know the year or whether it was front or rear. 

Vol. 1 No. 2 notes that the rear shock from a 1980 Chevy C-10 will fit.

FWIW, KYB's published spec sheet shows no shocks with a front mount to fit the 63-65 Riviera.  In fact, the mounting tab on the KG4550 appears to be the longest one they make.