1935 Graham 8 Cyl Blue Streak C/L MO $15,000

Here's a link to a '35 Graham on C/L in MO:

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/5929449793.html

The ad reads:

Just out of long time dry storage in building,rebuilt starter,flushed all gas out,put in new points,set up a 12 volt system to start and she started and ran for several minutes on her own,sounds great,no leaks except fuel pump leaks a little,no rust in floor or body,just a little in the running boards,missing only 1 spare tire cover,brakes go to the floor,all the wood is awesome,interior needs restored its all original,value by several high end car guys told me between 30k and 50k and restored 400k so help urself at 15000 call
show contact info
clear title in hand

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It must be rare as I have never seen one in person. 400k is about right for a restoration if you leave it at a decent shop. Interesting car, hopefully someone takes on the project.

• Like 2

That is a really neat looking car with lots of great design features. In my opinion, it is a lot better looking then some of the more expensive cars from the same period. Too bad about the damage to the interior. If it wasn't for the interior, you could clean it up, do the necessary mechanical work, and use it the way it is.

Still, its a rare, supercharged, eight-cylinder car that is priced the same-or maybe even less- than a similar condition 1935 Ford sedan.

I have always wanted to own a 1932-33 Graham Blue Streak.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

AJ, I clearly understood, but I just theoght the 400 was about right for a restoration cost. True market value.........less tha 100k from what I have seen. 

• Like 1

They have a distinctive look to them, don't they? Sometimes I think that the rear looks a little like a hearse, other times I think it's somewhat English looking. If I recall right they shared their sedan bodies with some other manufacturer that was just about at the end of their road. Can you gentlemen recall? Was it Reo?, Franklin?

59 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

And the phone number in the ad, for anyone's reference,

is (417) 234-5154.

I understand that Pennsylvania collector Nicola Bulgari

has a restored Blue Streak.  He said it's the only 

restored one he knows about.

I don't include the seller's phone number when I post these few odd "gems" that I come across. I'm not saying that it's wrong to, just that the seller chose to use the C/L option of hiding it from "bots" in the first place. I figure that  if someone has enough interest in the car that I post to click on the link, than they can easily enough hover over the hidden phone number in the ad.

8 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I see that the ebay offering closed with out a bid at the minimum $10,000.

I looked at the listing before it was supposed to end.  I am fairly sure it ended early, so I am certain it sold to a viewer who emailed an offer.

Whoever said this car is worth $400,000 after it is restored, or costs $400,000 for a complete restoration, is stark, raving nuts. Period.  Get real. You are doing a dis-service to the restoration business and to the market for old cars. Yes, this is a very rare car, but rarity does not always mean high price. A '57 Studebaker Scotsman is rare, but it's not a very highly valued car, even when restored.

And yes, I have the guts to sign my own name to this and not hide behind some fabricated name.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

• Like 3

Pete,  a full ground up 100% restoration by a reputable shop not located in Mexico on this car is 200k and I will stand by that all day long.  Now, with that 200k restoration I think it might be a 80k on really really good day to a well off Graham guy.

I think if the car sold for 10k and somebody gets a running driving supercharged eight cylinder anything for a 20k investment they are doing great.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

I can't help thinking that the styling of this model looks kind of odd. The body back to rear edge of the rear doors is the same as that introduced sometime in 1932 but the rear end has been extended. It would look better if the rear axle was further back.

I do agree it is a rare car, especially in supercharged eight cylinder form.

23 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I can't help thinking that the styling of this model looks kind of odd.

Graham IMO, seemed a bit ahead in the styling department.  And if a company is always designing "ahead" of the norm, rather than copying, then you may likely see a feature that just never went over well..

"Ahead" is such as in 1932 with the Graham skirted front fenders.  I'm not up on all cars, but had to be first, or right there in the running.

I like the car, but have some questions for you Graham experts:  Why does the front end sit so high? Almost looks like the engine has been removed, but I saw the original ebay ad, and that is not the case. Is this normal for this model Graham? The rear axle looks like it has been pushed forward. The wheels/tires seem too far forward in the wheel well. Is this normal for this model?

Hi all,

This has been an interesting read, a great looking car that is close enough to make me think about it.  Assuming the engine is working OK and the body seems like it would  not need much work.  Lets say someone strips out the interior and puts something period in just to be able to drive it until I could find something more original?  What would the costs expected to be for that ?( again assume that I can do some of this stuff) 

Not looking to make it a concourse winner, or flip it just something that I could drive and enjoy.

Thanks Greg 

I still have the nagging memory that they shared this body with another builder that was about to go under at about the same time. Who else was on the edge folding at this time, Pierce, Reo? In searching for the answer to that question I quite ironically came across an identical '35 Graham Eight sedan for sale, as well. The ad doesn't list a price, but I thought that some of you might enjoy taking a look at it, anyway:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/other-makes/156790-for-sale-1935-graham-model-75-supercharged-barn-find-nc-iowa.html

7 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I still have the nagging memory that they shared this body with another builder that was about to go under at about the same time. Who else was on the edge folding at this time, Pierce, Reo? In searching for the answer to that question I quite ironically came across an identical '35 Graham Eight sedan for sale, as well. The ad doesn't list a price, but I thought that some of you might enjoy taking a look at it, anyway:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/other-makes/156790-for-sale-1935-graham-model-75-supercharged-barn-find-nc-iowa.html

Says $6800 in the ad.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a good thing we copied the ad (Posting #1)

and the phone number (Posting #10) into our forum:

The Craig's List link is dead and states that it was

deleted by its author.

Since the car is now offered on Ebay, that shows

that a Craig's List ad "deleted by its author" does not

necessarily mean the car is sold.

Posting #11 in our forum noted that the "Buy it Now" price

was $12,500.  Now it is $14,990.  Hmm--raising the price

after an item fails to sell?  We're watching you, Mr. Seller.

Now, who of us would like to buy a Graham Blue Streak?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I don't think it was insanely priced at 15k and thought it was a bargain at 12k.  But then again my judgement could be questioned. 

Where else are you going to get a supercharged straight eight prewar car for that sort of money?  If it was an blown 35 Auburn sedan in the same shape it would be 30k plus.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Posting #11 in our forum noted that the "Buy it Now" price

was $12,500.  Now it is $14,990.  Hmm--raising the price

after an item fails to sell?

I thought the ebay first listing was "ended early",.  Never assume anything... but he may have seen the interest on this thread and decided it was too cheap, and pulled the ad to relist it later. :) 

I was not really studying both ebay ads and the C/L ad, but I think more repair work was now done in this new listing?

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I don't think it was insanely priced at 15k and thought it was a bargain at 12k.  But then again my judgement could be questioned. 

Where else are you going to get a supercharged straight eight prewar car for that sort of money?  If it was an blown 35 Auburn sedan in the same shape it would be 30k plus.

That is for sure AJ, the s/c unit and the related accessories retail for more than that.

On 12/29/2016 at 8:32 AM, edinmass said:

It must be rare as I have never seen one in person. 400k is about right for a restoration if you leave it at a decent shop. Interesting car, hopefully someone takes on the project.

On 12/29/2016 at 9:22 AM, alsancle said:

Ed,  the 400k was the purported value after restoration, not the cost of the restoration.

I love the blue with red wheels (I've seen that somewhere, before).

A $400,000 restoration might get  a $200,000 sale

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qj1qznS5nL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick
added you tube link (see edit history)

My Wife says "What difference does does the value make. If it's a good one you aren't going to sell it anyway."

And she knows I never listen to advice. Seems like the experts make me think of this guy.

tve762-19640926-136.jpg   Good luck to Joseph Wilson. Many won't ever experience how happy he has just become.

• 5 months later...