honest barn find

yesterday my wife and i traveled to tonkawa, ok. and bought a 1953 pontiac chieftain deluxe four door sedan, from 1964 until a year ago, the car was stored in a oklahoma barn along with a 1954 ford pick up. i learned about the car when a young man asked to join a facebook group that i am a member of. my wife thought she should have a 1953 pontiac of her own, she has named the car "miss daisy", tomorrow i will start to remove the hugh animal's nest that's under the hood. 

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

post-77712-0-60865200-1437624025_thumb.j

post-77712-0-30378700-1437624344_thumb.j

• Like 2

thank you guys for the best wishes and comments, today it was very warm and humid, but i went out and started on removing the critter's nest, i can now see six of the eight spark plugs rather than just one plug yesterday. found the battery top holder and the often missing lid that covers the holder's three access holes for checking each battery cell. i discover when checking the trim data tag more closely, that the lower paint code was L-05 instead of L-01, 05 is the paint code for a special order paint color for non-custom catalina models, milano ivory, and that's is the color of the lower paint color on my 1953 chieftain custom catalina hardtop. i have never seen in 42 years, another 1953 chieftain deluxe four door sedan with milano ivory paint, only 1953 custom catalina and one 1954 starchief convertible, pontiac had made the 1953 custom catalina exlusive colors of laurel green and milano ivory available in the spring of 1954 as special order paint colors for the 1954 starchief convertible only, no other 1954 pontiac models could have it. 

post-77712-0-33431500-1437691944_thumb.j

post-77712-0-08303800-1437691992_thumb.j

Hope your wearing rubber gloves and a face mask doing that.... droppings can carry some nasty diseases. Nice find though... hope they didn't get into the interior. Odors can be very hard to get rid of.

not finding hardly any droppings, did wear heavy duty work gloves, did the work outside, the interior smells fine, no signs that the pack rats ever got into the passenger compartment. discover that the right front door window regulator won't turn at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

looking forward to getting home, got a good deal on ebay for a teardrop trunk lock and key, miss daisy didn't come with any keys, so i'll drill out the old trunk lock, get the trunk lid open, who knows what i'll find in the trunk. missing parts i hope, lol.

Before you drill try any older key.  Sometimes these tumblers are very worn a paperclip could make it open. 

thanks for the tips guys, i have a small cigar box that's full of old car keys, i tried them all, even jiggling the key while it's inserted, no luck. where i live, there are no locksmiths less than a hour's drive away. the new used teardrop lock and key was only $25.00.

• Like 1

thanks for the tips guys, i have a small cigar box that's full of old car keys, i tried them all, even jiggling the key while it's inserted, no luck. where i live, there are no locksmiths less than a hour's drive away. the new used teardrop lock and key was only $25.00.

If you can get the back seat out you can not only see what's in the trunk but also unbolt the cylinder to the lock allowing the trunk to open.      

If you can get the back seat out you can not only see what's in the trunk but also unbolt the cylinder to the lock allowing the trunk to open.      

you can not unbolt the trunk latch from the back seat area, with the trunk lid closed, there's no way to got to the bottom big screws that are there.

well i did get the old trunk lock off of the trunl lid, no easy task, opened up the trunk lid and what did i find ??, a partial box of old used spark plugs, old rotor and points, a ford combination wrench, says ford usa 01A-17017B , cardboard laid on the trunk floor, no spare, no bumper jack, no radiator, makes me real glad i bought the like new pontiac radiator from a nice guy in las vegas,

There should be a 4 digit number stamped into the case of the glove box lock. I have a code book that will tell me how to use that code to cut a new key using a Curtis key cutter.  Any locksmith should be able to do this for you and it should work in the trunk and door as well. I also have an almost complete set of GM masters for this vintage. Most locksmiths should have these as well. At least that is if they have been around as long as the car has been. Let us know how it turns out

There should be a 4 digit number stamped into the case of the glove box lock. I have a code book that will tell me how to use that code to cut a new key using a Curtis key cutter.  Any locksmith should be able to do this for you and it should work in the trunk and door as well. I also have an almost complete set of GM masters for this vintage. Most locksmiths should have these as well. At least that is if they have been around as long as the car has been. Let us know how it turns out

thank you for the info, the trunk lock i have now has it's original key with the 4 digit code stamp on it. i'll let you when i get the glovebox door lock out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Others are correct, try other keys to get the trunk opened. I have two interesting stories on car key.

This was back in 1966.  My mother had a 1955 Buick Special and my father bought a  new 1966 Pontiac LeMans.  The key for each car was exactly the same code.

This was back in around 1973 and I was taking my antique car to the Das Awkscht Fescht car show in Macungie, PA. My wife and mother-in-law left the hotel early for the show, since they had a craft space in the flee market.  This was before the invention of the cell phone, and my wife took my 1933 Chevrolet keys when she left for the show and I could not phone her.   Even though the key code was totally different I tried my father-in-laws 1939 Chevrolet trunk key in the 33 ignition and it worked after a few giggles.  This key looked completely different then the actual ignition key.

Another way you may be able to get the trunk opened.  If the glove box is unlocked that key code may be stamped on the lock barrel and that key may also unlock the trunk.  Not sure about your Pontiac, but most other cars I have owned had the key code stamped on the glove box lock barrel.  If that is the case with your car your only task is to figure out how to get the glove box lock out of the door.

• 4 months later...
Guest nailheadnostalgia

The key blank B10 is the same for GM cars from 1935 to 1966. Buick used the same key for ignition, glove box , doors and trunk although they may have one key square and one key oval/round it was cut the same but the oval key blank was code b11. I bought a 1955 Buick roadmaster with no keys but luckily the glove box was unlocked and i removed the cylinder fairly easily after i depressed the button while pulling it out of the bezel. Only one screw to take out. The locksmith had to pick it to expose the code numbers stamped on the barrel. Cost me $35 but i got a key and didn't have to change any original locks. It works on all my doors and trunk and ignition and glove box. Some google searches say to remove the passenger door cylinder to read the codes but it is too much  work and you can also find the code on the drivers side door cylinder but sometimes those are changed out over the years so that's why they recommend the less frequently used passenger door. I even tried to crawl through the back seat to open the locked  trunk but couldn't get the back seat out. 

Does anybody know why a Buick owner may have one key  pear shape head and the other hex head if they were cut the same? I am thinking maybe because the pear key blanks were for the 1935 to 1966 Chevys which have a different code for the glove box  & trunk. If a Buick owner needed a duplicate key a locksmith might use a B11 GM Chevy blank if a B10 was not available, same keyway just a different shape head.