Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

19 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

Ed, you know, I try never to just blend in. If a task can be made more difficult and the outcome more distinctive, I’m a sucker everytime. Glad you and others appreciate the extra effort.

I've got that Silver w/ black vinyl interior 65 Gran Sport. Pretty typical.  When it gets moved to the front burner, I'm going to go with the black fabric seats and look for a set of the Gran Sport wheel covers like yours.  Don't want another one just like the other one. What would it look like with red line tires? Or do I do black walls or triple stipes? 

Non-compliance is one reason I'm perfectly content to drive a '94 Roadmaster Estate wagon.  Probably get twice as many comments on it as the guys driving their new Camaros get.  Plus I'm getting spoiled "Driving the Lazy Boy leather covered couch" down the highway.

I don't know if he still has it but a guy I know has/had a Sedanette powered by a '455 with a TH400 behind it.  With the steel wheels and Buick dog dish caps, it was a real sleeper.

Which car are you taking to Gettysburg?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've got that Silver w/ black vinyl 65 Gran Sport. Pretty typical.  When it gets moved to the front burner, I'm going to go with the black fabric seats and look for a set of the Gran Sport wheel covers like yours.  Don't want another one just like the other one. What would it look like with red line tires?  Non-compliance is one reason I'm perfectly content to drive a '94 Roadmaster Estate wagon.  Probably get twice as many comments on it as the guys driving their new Camaros get.  Plus I'm getting spoiled "Driving the Lazy Boy leather covered couch" down the highway.

I don't know if he still has it but a guy I know has/had a Sedanette powered by a '455 with a TH400 behind it.  With the steel wheels and Buick dog dish caps, it was a real sleeper.

Which car are you taking to Gettysburg?

We’re driving the convertible up from Tampa. Along the coast we’ll get our fill of oysters in Savanna and Charleston and on the return we'll go through the mountains to Asheville and Atlanta to visit grandkids

8FF3A724-30A3-43AD-B25E-57320E8C6EAD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we met in Harrisburg in '10, Linda and I went back via the mountains.  It was a great drive and very scenic.  Except for when that underpowered 5.0 liter Olds motored 84 coupe of mine couldn't get uphill.  We got as far south as TN and KY before heading west towards home.  We visited Gettysburg then and explored the area pretty thoroughly.  Don't know if we want to repeat again this year.  Going the same place twice just isn't in my makeup.  Too many stones yet unturned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Diamondback triple stripe whitewall 235/75-15 tires and new stainless steel lug nuts installed on The Aqua Zephyr today. I like how the taller tires fill the wheel wells more than the old tires.

20190415_151014.thumb.jpg.7ba65631be735c2d6574c34e4f0ff583.jpg

20190415_151217.thumb.jpg.556f248b8efb7e6214cae65f41321fb2.jpg

New tires before I washed the protective coating off.

20190415_140512.thumb.jpg.fb53958cecba310c11e52f10ca7458e7.jpg

Old crappy Chinese 225/70-15 whitewalls

IMG_4706.thumb.JPG.5517d5f054c8ab0bd4ade0c5350cdd8e.JPG

20180309_121749.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 4/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, Rivdrivn said:

I’m visiting the northern Rivs this week. So far, the boat tail started right up and sounded pretty good. I’ll try another one tomorrow 

7D3937C7-1A00-4EF4-9493-8A4AB6569733.jpeg

Hey! All 3 started right up and ran just fine. And I just discovered that my Max Trac still works. Anyone else have a working Max Trac in their boat tail?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the day (Saturday) with The Aqua Zephyr at this years Goodguys NC Nationals car show at the NC State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, NC

The weather was perfect after rain and strong gusts the day before!

We had a lot of folks stop by and ask "How do those headlights work?" or just to talk about who they knew that had one when they were growing up. No judging today. We were just there to enjoy the beautiful spring day, admire some great works or rolling art and meet lots of Buick enthusiasts!

IMG_9771.thumb.JPG.a26bcc02974a45eccb1ab554afad9687.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------

I took The Aqua Zephyr out to the Fayetteville Dogwood Festival Car Show today (Sunday). The weather was a little iffy early in the morning but cleared up nicely by noon. Ours was only one of two Buicks at the show, which isn't unusual for where I live.

Surprise! The Zephyr earned a Top 5 Antique Vehicle award. 

20190428_090917.thumb.jpg.73b0f0e6c77b60e92dc1d9013cbd9c92.jpg

20190428_090852.thumb.jpg.21ab1831b9961f552ccfe92050669b37.jpg

20190428_212535.thumb.jpg.90b7d268c2dbe635d8c7f1436eaaf435.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Custom background picture of The Aqua Zephyr taken at the Goodguys 5th North Carolina Nationals car show.

Side Shot Saturday

📷=@photosportsusa

I know the spacing of the last "e" in 'Service' is wrong. I have contacted Photo-Sports to get a corrected copy of the custom photo made and sent to me.

20190511_141227.thumb.jpg.8699654841b582c1f458e4742cd17a2f.jpg

• Like 2

Finally getting to enjoy my first boat tail. Drives and handles great. All mechanical systems are now in good working order, except for the radiator which needs more cleaning. Too much Stop Leak over the years, I guess. New tires and center caps too.

3AF8405E-306D-4AEB-A965-A44E78E1E0E2.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Finally getting to enjoy my first boat tail. Drives and handles great. All mechanical systems are now in good working order, except for the radiator which needs more cleaning. Too much Stop Leak over the years, I guess. New tires and center caps too.

Where are you located? 

I got the Riviera out of hibernation today. We finally got some consistently warm weather strung together for a few days. This is one of my favorite days of the year along with all of the rituals that go along with it. I always enjoy sitting in the car with the aroma of moth balls and dryer sheets tickling my nostrils while I crank the starter until the oil light goes off, stop to give 2 pumps on the gas pedal, crank again and immediately I am greeted with the lovely sound of that engine starting and smoothing out. Nothing beats hearing that rumble coming out of the exhaust pipes for the first time of the year. As always too, I am left with the evidence of the Dynaflow belch in the pan on the floor. Hopefully, tomorrow I can take her out for a nice long drive so that I can top of the transmission fluid.

Bill

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I saw this on Instagram. 1969 Riv with a 1990's Buick Regal luggage rack (according to the owner) mounted on the trunk lid.

Looks kind of cool but I would not put it on my car. To each his own!

222709139_69Rivierawithluggagerack.JPG.5a5878faab7b6f1a22f815d66bc4410d.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, Riviera63 said:

Hopefully, tomorrow I can take her out for a nice long drive so that I can top of the transmission fluid.

Hmmmm, that almost looks good enough to pour right back in!  ;)

IMG_5382.JPG.e5b92f201f3b9d22ef5a186b133

• Like 1

An interesting 66 posted on Facebook:

"After 5 years it runs. ‘66 Riviera GS. ‘72, 455 BB, 2x4 ELDERBROCK cars on Offy manifold, 268 Comp. cam. Engine built by “Wells Racing Engines”. Totally new wiring harnesses from “ Haywire” wiring. Totally new front suspension. Paint by “Munoz” painting, Red Oak, Texas. Color “ Riviera Red”. New AC from “Old Air” Kennedale, Texas. “ Griffin” Raditor Summit Racing Next is 4 wheel disc brakes, coming this winter."

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/750693058659917/?ref=feed_rhc

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.18.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.17.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.16.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 12.16.01 AM.png

• Like 3

I just acquired two medium format slides from 1965 and 1966 of a '65 Riviera Gran Sport and a '66 GS with head restraints.

The '65 picture was taken in July 1965. The '66 picture was taken in July 1966. Maybe the same owner? Definitely the same photographer, as both slide frames have similar annotations in the same hand writing.

I always enjoy seeing classic cars in their original environment.

Look how long those radio antennas are!

65_Riviera-Gran_Sport_JUL65.thumb.jpg.839018687b858a916bbe7622f8d3a15f.jpg

66_Riviera_GS_JUL66.thumb.jpg.f03c0d10ac6884b42a880f35ed2f8911.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, M. ALEMAN said:

I just picked her up this past weekend!

Congratulations on your new present! You have a great looking Riviera and family.

Welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to have your Riviera questions answered.

Two recommendations: 1) If you have not already done so, please consider joining the Riviera Owners Association. Go to www.rivowners.org to find the membership link. Membership is not a requirement to participate in the forum but membership definitely has its advantages (to quote an old advertisement). The site has a wealth of Riviera information available only to paid members.

2) Feel free to learn how to search for information in this forum and others using the Search feature. Many of your upcoming questions have probably already been asked and discussed at length. If you can't find what you are looking for, post a question with supporting photographs.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, M. ALEMAN said:

That patina is work keeping. I dont think I'd paint it.

Agree - I have the same situation with my '64 Grand Prix (also white).  The paint appears to be original and the wear tells a story (like where it's worm to bare steel just above the driver's door handle.  It was basically flat white when I got it.  I have been treating it to a couple of doses of Meguire's #7 Show Car Glaze (non-abrasive) each summer.  It really has a nice shine now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EmTee said:

Agree - I have the same situation with my '64 Grand Prix (also white).  The paint appears to be original and the wear tells a story (like where it's worm to bare steel just above the driver's door handle.  It was basically flat white when I got it.  I have been treating it to a couple of doses of Meguire's #7 Show Car Glaze (non-abrasive) each summer.  It really has a nice shine now.

I’ve heard WD-40 helps but I’m afraid it might make the paint even softer. Old wives tale?

22 hours ago, PWB said:

I’ve heard WD-40 helps but I’m afraid it might make the paint even softer. Old wives tale? 

I apply the Meguire's #7 as described here: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

• Like 1