1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

Great job!! Where do you have the rest of the car stored? I'm doing a "frame on" restoration of my brother's '61 Sunliner. I have more of the car in his basement than I do in my garage. My garage is about the same size as you garage. The lack of space is driving me insane. I'm finally at the point where I'm reinstalling parts. It is very satisfying. It's been two years to this point. It should be done this spring! I enjoy reading your thread and admire your perseverance. I love '58 Buicks. Keep up the good work!

Guest John Chapman

Adam,

Great progress! This would appear to be a project with a difficulty level approaching that of the scissor top on the Wildcat...

I'm curious if you anticipate problems with body flex given that the 'C' pillars are so 'dainty' on the 4DHT and it appears you are spanning about 8-9 feet of body between the supports. Or, is it so rigid that you don't foresee a problem keeping everything true?

Cheers,

John

San Diego

I'm trying to clean up some of the parts that got ripped off Saturday night before the liftathon on Sunday, before I get tempted to put them in the basement unfinished.

...this looked like fun to reassemble!

brake_pedal001.jpg

It was...

I took care of the two air door "cages" while I was in the garage tonight.

brake_pedal002.jpg

Adam, I am thoroughly enjoying the progress reports. You are doing my favorite part, restoring all the little items that come off the car, and you are doing it the RIGHT way, too, by finishing them as they come off the car. Trust me, that is smart, because the last thing you want is to have a pile of unfinished vents, brackets, panels, etc. etc. when the body is finished and ready for them.

Even though it was rustier than you had planned or wanted, it is great to see you sticking with it. It'll be an awesome car when finished!

Matt

There are still quite a few parts that I pulled off and tossed on the shelf, but I am using those parts to keep me busy when I get tired of working on all the body rust. So, hopefully, I will be in good shape when they're all ready to go back on the car!

Speaking of.......this should look good bolted back on the firewall.

cowl_vent_cover.jpg

Since it's not supposed to rain this week (for once), I kicked the 71 out of the garage and moved the chassis into the open spot. Time to start stripping it!

stripping_frame001.jpg

stripping_frame002.jpg

I pulled the exhaust manifolds off this evening, and all the bolts came out like I just installed them yesterday.....funny, considering all the other bolts on this car have been just the opposite. I had wondered why there was an extra passenger side manifold included with the car when I bought it, but I know why, now. One of the downpipe stud bosses is missing, and the one on the car was cobbled together with a big ball of weld. It just fell apart when I tried to remove it.

I cut the exhaust apart and tossed it aside.

I decided not to reinstall the majority of the the air poise equipment on the frame, mostly due to the horrid condition of those parts and lines. The steel air lines running to the back were just about completely rusted away, and just fell apart when I was pulling them off. I had to sweep them off the floor, they were that bad. I did manage to save a couple pieces, and will be listing them on ebay tonight.

Yesterday, I detailed the air conditioning evaporator box....too many bolts on this thing!!! Also, I'm not going to try to make the foamy coating on the box look any better, because I think I'll just ruin it trying....so it stays a little beat up.:rolleyes:

ac_box_finished001.jpg

ac_box_finished003.jpg

Adam, Glad to see you back in the saddle on the Limited. I truly admire your efforts and ability. Keep us posted please.

As to your air box, when I pulled mine and cleaned off the flaking covering I found a spray on "under coating" after two coats, while a bit thinner, had enough of a textured finish to come close to what was the original look. It took black paint well too. Just a thought for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam,

Parts are looking good. I`m sure when you start to put this car back together you will thank yourself for having picked off the shelf clean new looking parts ready for assembly!

A piece of advice I experienced, noticing your shift / transmission linkage that bolts to the firewall. When I bought my Limited it was up on blocks because the guy had the trans rebuilt and his buddies put back it in the car. OK, the problem they could not figure out was that it jumped into reverse as soon as it started and the owner thought that something was put back together wrong in the transmission (not `too`mechanical a guy). Well, I closed the deal knowing I had a stable of 58`s and some parts and would be able to figure it out. The problem turned out to be the firewall linkage somehow was bolted on upside down and changed the shift pattern backwards. With the position showing Park it was indeed in reverse and because the safety neutral switch was in the correct place on the column it started and indeed wanted to go in reverse.

So... take note of the correct position of the pivoting linkage when you put her back together. At least make sure you have your foot hard on the brake just in case. Found it by comparing my parts car that was still together then, Doug.

I started pulling suspension parts off this evening...beginning with the front left wheel. It felt like it was loose, like a bearing was going bad. Everything looks good there, though. I think the castle nut was a bit loose, though.

I found a pretty ugly sight with the shoes and drums, though. Looks like someone never bothered to "mic" the drums and the lining disappeared...digging into the shoes as well. I think the other side is the same way, it has a grinding sound to it when I spin the wheel freely.

bad_drum.jpg

brake_shoe.jpg

I did manage to clean a few things up before I gave up for the night, though.

brake_hardware.jpg

Is there a market for a full set of original shocks?? I'd hate to throw them away if they're worth something as a core.

shocks.jpg

I about had a heart attack when I pulled the rear shock mounts. I found that the rear end was hanging on the shocks themselves, and it made quite a racket when I zipped off the last bolt! I had no idea the springs had that much of a load on them.

I'll need to get a spring compressor for the front springs, though. The engine doesn't weigh enough for me to be able to use the jack under the lower control arm. All it does is jack the entire frame up.

Adam,

I bought a new engine hoist very inexpensively (under $200) from Sam's Club. I get all kinds of use out of it. It has been a good investment. It folds up out of the way too. I plan on using mine for a few more projects too. As we are close in age you may also find a use for it for years to come.

As for the spring compressor. I bought one from a local Mac Tools man, again very inexpensive all things considered. However I haven't got near as much use out of it as the hoist. I suspect you can probably rent one from your local auto parts store which may prove better than buying one.

Hope that helps.

I just bought a spring compressor from the Zone for $35....figured I could use another tool!

I went to Harbor Freight the other day and they had a hoist for $169....2 ton foldable. OUT OF STOCK! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. The other one they had sitting there was only a 1 ton NON folding, and it was $179. WTF!? I left sans hoist.

I just bought a spring compressor from the Zone for $35....figured I could use another tool!

I went to Harbor Freight the other day and they had a hoist for $169....2 ton foldable. OUT OF STOCK! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. The other one they had sitting there was only a 1 ton NON folding, and it was $179. WTF!? I left sans hoist.

$35 is cheap! Here is an example of possibly the most expensive and overkill spring compressor. What can I say it was fast and effective.

My project is about in the same state.....Just entered the tunnel but no light at the end yet.

I have been following your progress all along and must say you have been quite the inspiration to many of us. Your photo documentation has been outstanding as well. May the force be with you throughout the project.

post-50687-14313813596_thumb.jpg

Jason, I may need to haul our excavator back home so I can get these things reinstalled! I'm not sure how I'm going to get the springs back in yet...they seemed to expand a LOT more than the compressor would compress them. The spring compressor I bought didn't do very well, and I'm not sure the "internal" compressor would do any better. It looks like your idea might be about the best one I've seen yet.

Adam,

Haha, yea going back together with my latest method is not as easy as coming apart either. When I first started working on these big buicks years ago I never had much success with standard spring compressors on the Rivs. I guess I couldn't find or rent exactly the right style that would fit either between the tight coils or in the tight space around the spring and housing.

I noticed the spring compressor shown in the 66 service manual and built one similar that worked really well. Very cheap! Not sure if your 58 suspension is similar but I used a length of 1/2"x13 all-thread rod that is plenty long enough to run down through the top of spring tower and lower control arm. Cut a piece of 1/2 thick steel plate just a little wider that the spring diameter. Instead of machining down the edges of the plate as shown in the picture I welded a couple 1/4" strips of key stock on top at the edges to keep the plate from slipping to one side because it will always be on an angle when in the spring. Get a couple heavy duty washers and extra length all-thread coupling nuts and the rest is common sense.

To see the spring compressor I'm referring to, follow this link and scroll down to the very last page. It is on the left. Maybe it will work for you.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/66_chassis/30-b.pdf

Engine and transmission are out! The trans mount and both engine mounts are toast. I'll just add those to the list of 1,000,000 things I need to complete the chassis work.:rolleyes:

engine_out.jpg

I made an attempt at making my own spring compressor, since the other store bought ones don't work on this car..

I got about halfway through the cranking process and my homemade plate buckled. Looks like I need to reinforce it there a bit more! It looks like my welding is getting a little better:D

spring_compressor001.jpg

Guest cardinal905

Yes, great work Adam. If you want to use my TIP blast cabinet---come on over to Belleville, it is a 60'' but I dont think "YOUR' fenders will fit in there ! I hope to meet you at a BCA chapter meeting next month. In a very early post you had asked a question on the body bolt removal, I never saw an answer and was wondering what you did on that task---I am making a file on your work for when I start my 42, I think some things may apply. Mike

Mike, I will not be at the December gathering. I'll be in Las Vegas for some "business." There is no official "meeting" in Dec, but there is a luncheon on December 12? I believe...

Next official meeting is January for the Holiday party. It will be at Grappa Grill in St. Charles. For once, a meeting will be less than 20 miles from me!!

Thanks for the offer on the blast cabinet. I might take you up on it, depending on how reasonably priced these guys are that I'm taking the frame to.

I love freshly blasted parts!

control_arms003.jpg

Adios to Mr. Frame for a few days...

frame_to_blaster.jpg

This is my "faux" gold cad paint job. I'm too cheap for the real thing...especially on parts that won't really see the light of day, unless you get on the ground with a flashlight.

backing_plate.jpg

Does anyone hate painting springs as much as I do? Jeez...what a pain!

rear_springs.jpg

I skipped over those in the catalog. I'm trying to watch what I spend...necessities only.:o

Front end parts like ball joints and all those fun little rubber parts will be replaced, though. I asked the blaster to tape the upper ball joints, since they WERE still good....but they were blasted clean when I picked them up. Oh well...I added them to the list this morning.