The new "Current Restorations Projects" forum.

Guest 1930 DD

Jim. I've just joined this site. I've got a DD-6. DC8s are rare. There are a few here in NZ (Waves to the Aussies :) )

Some 30 plus years ago my late dad, a stock and station agent, told me about a car he saw on a farm. It was a 1930 Dodge Brothers DC. 8 cylinder. It had been uted and was in a terrible state having been used as a paddock basher by the original owners grandchildren.

The ute body was partly burnt. A wooden spoked artillery wheel was partly collapsed, the gearbox was split open and in the process had smashed the bell housing. The upholstery consisted of a banana case. Petrol tank was a one gallon oil drum sending fuel via gravity to the early model Holden carburettor. No fuel tank. A lot of rust. Left front guard badly mangled. No rear guards. No side lights. It was a sorry sight sitting on the side of a hill with rusted chains on the back wheels and a crow bar jammed through the spokes of one wheel to prevent it from rolling away.

I made enquiries at the local antique car club and was told initially that Dodge never made an 8 cylinder car at that time so I knew it was rare. They said it must have had another engine put into it. I knew this wasn't the case as Dodge Brothers Eight was cast into the manifold and it had a Dodge 8 badge across the radiator.

I bought it for a minimal amount and trailered it out to my dad's farm together with part of a roadster body. I tried to start the engine. It did run but on 7 and half cylinders.

I took it then to a friends house and started working on it. I pulled the engine down and found one of the pistons had a lump out of it, had the piston rebuilt, ground the valves, and had it running. I I did meet the son in law of the first owner who said the engine should be OK. "Elizabeth" he said. "I was doing up the engine and listening to the queen's coronation at the same time." That was in 1954.

He said it done about 400,000 miles and had been a good car. It had been uted in 1939 when fuel for private cars was difficult to get, and later still was run on a charcoal burner.

I was now married and transferred interstate with my work. I took it out to my dad's farm and left it in the shed.

It was then stolen from the farm but I was able to relocate it and get it back. No further work had been done on it. I only found it as a friend recognised a part from it left at the gate of the farm where it had been taken which was only about 5 miles away.

I was determined to restore it again one day. On a trip back to my parents I heard of a wreck out in the bush that had been sitting in the open since the war and it had a T.J.Richards body like the original. It wasn't a Dodge but the body was almost the same and could be modified to fit. I don't know what make the donor car was. It had an Essex 4 cylinder engine bolted in with lots of angle iron forming a frame. The radiator and bonnet had gone. The guards were different and the rear wheels had been wires. It had also been vandalised and was of course very rusty. I took it out to the farm.

Many years later I returned back to Brisbane, brought the car from the farm and started work again. I adapted a 6 cylinder gearbox and bell housing to fit, and took it for a short drive down the street.

I am now working on it again in earnest. I have now retired and have a bit more time.

The donor body has been straightened and the lower section replaced all round. I have managed to get a proper bell housing and gearbox. A new radiator has been made. At a swap meet I bought some tourer guards. I have modified them to fit.

I now have most of the parts to finish the restoration. It is looking pretty good with the body sitting on top of the chassis at last. Wheels have been remade and new tyres fitted. I can now see light at the end of the tunnel!

When finished I will have a nice drivable car, and quite a rare car too. It will have been a challenge but will be worthwhile.

To those out there that feel like giving up on a restoration. Don't. With access to the Internet and so many clubs and helpful people out there almost anything can be done. 30 to 40 years ago it couldn't.

Jim Haydon <mini1132@yahoo.com.au>

1930 Dodge Brothers DC 8. Richards bodied roadster

1961 Morris Mini.

We would LOVE to see some photos of your Dodge.

</mini1132@yahoo.com.au>

G'Day all.

Here are some photos of the DC8 I am restoring. Sorry about the quality...the camera has been playing up.

Has advanced a little bit since these photos were taken.

Cheers

Jim

1930 Dodge DC8 Roadster Richard's Body

1961 Morris Mini

1977 Land Rover Ex-Military 6 Cylinder

post-66948-143138195282_thumb.jpg

post-66948-143138195284_thumb.jpg

post-66948-143138195286_thumb.jpg

post-66948-143138195288_thumb.jpg

Guest MGdriverGUY

Restoration(s) I am 54 yrs young and have owned MGs since 1974. I am always restoring them. To original of course. No Volvo or Chevy blocks for me I am afraid.-John:cool:

post-66340-143138195343_thumb.jpg

post-66340-143138195348_thumb.jpg

post-66340-143138195354_thumb.jpg

Thanks to whoever brought back this thread, I had not noticed it before.

Regulars know I regularly grumble about street rods and lack of authentic restorations in the midwest. My project is here, a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief from the frame up and 15 years of slow part time progress and counting. This could be the year! Todd C

post-31304-14313819536_thumb.jpg

post-31304-143138195365_thumb.jpg

I am doing a middle up restoration. Someone started this one but never finished. Body is back on and engine reinstalled but no drive line in or accessories on engine. I have one immediate problem. Does anyone have any information on the generator or starter on a 1924 Chevy? The ends on both are pot metal and disintegrated so any information, pictures etc would be appreciated. Thanks New member E Ray

BEAUTIFUL CAR. I LIKE ALMOST ALL PONTIACSYEARS. 57 & 58 FALL INTO THAT CATAGORY. I HAVE A 63 BONNE & 63 GP

Thanks Gary, I am a big 1963 fan too, one of the best looking big cars ever. The interiors are one of the best ever too, I listed the 1963 GP in the "My Favorite Dashboard" thread a few months ago. Careful with the Slim Jim! Todd

Thanks to whoever brought back this thread, I had not noticed it before.

Regulars know I regularly grumble about street rods and lack of authentic restorations in the midwest. My project is here, a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief from the frame up and 15 years of slow part time progress and counting. This could be the year! Todd C

Todd, car looks really good, nice color combination. Is that a TRI-Power car? 57 is one of my favorites and one of the reasons is 57 is the first year for Pontiac to take a win at Daytona.

I know all about the slow part time progress as I started my 62 Catalina in 1995, retired in 1996 moved to my retirement house completely remodeled it, with the exception of a master bedroom and bath which I'm as we speak now finishing and then hope to be back to the Catalina near the end of this year.

Don

Guest MGdriverGUY

To AUssie Guy,

If you were referring to me and the TD yes I have the cowl rubber. I have everything in boxes to complete this year. By the way I worked in Oz for several years in Victoria, lived in Frankston before returning to the US in 06.

Cheers

John

Todd, car looks really good, nice color combination. Is that a TRI-Power car? 57 is one of my favorites and one of the reasons is 57 is the first year for Pontiac to take a win at Daytona.

I know all about the slow part time progress as I started my 62 Catalina in 1995, retired in 1996 moved to my retirement house completely remodeled it, with the exception of a master bedroom and bath which I'm as we speak now finishing and then hope to be back to the Catalina near the end of this year.

Don

Hi Don, thanks again for that. No, no TriPower for me, just the four barrel. Refurbishing a house was my big delay also, but like I said, this could be the year at last! Todd C

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MGdriverGUY

Alrighty then to you all. We had a sunny weekend here in NY so I pulled out my restoration project with another in the background to check on what I have been doing in my dark barn. It is darker than Lucas electrics.

Comments please on the Coker tires!

1952 MGTD, frame off and now back on. Should get much quicker.:D

OKAY so the weather is better and I boughta spray gun set at walmart for xmas. lOOK OUT. I'll drop other pics later as its already moved on a bit since. The green MBG in the background took first in its class in western NY 38th Vintage car show in June. Firetempest metallic red is the color and for you purists who say they never painted them this color guess what. You are absolutely correct and who cares? It is going to be one hot 52 roadster all stock. Enjoy folks.:cool:

post-66340-143138205913_thumb.jpg

post-66340-143138275169_thumb.jpg

post-66340-143138275199_thumb.jpg

post-66340-143138275232_thumb.jpg

Edited by MGdriverGUY
want to add an update picture (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest 54buickbandit

hey im new to the site here, i just got my first buick. and me and my fiance are starting to restore a 1954 super 4dr sedan

post-69289-143138268404_thumb.jpg

Edited by 54buickbandit
picture (see edit history)

Folks,

This weekend i just started to restore the 1923 Kissel Model 6-55 Brougham Opera Sedan which was sitting in a shed in Florida for the last 36 years. It is the red one in the pictures. This Saturday we unloaded all of the engine and loose parts which were stored in the back seat, and we were very surprised that after so many decades, every landau bar, oil dip stick, special interior nickeled trim piece, and optional floor heating device, - everything - was there. It needs wood work, upholstery, engine, and paint, but it will be a restoration where i won't have to make or substitute parts.

The yellow car is my other Kissel. It is a 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster, very rare and fast. Its fittings are almost the same but the Model 45 engine is a bit bigger in stroke.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann

post-58797-143138268408_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143138268412_thumb.jpg

post-58797-143138268431_thumb.jpg

Can Anyone recomend a body shop in Southern Florida..Miami, Ft Lauderdale?

I d like to restoer my Ford 48 convertible...and I can only get a lot of "handymans" but not a good old car restorer.

Any information is highly appreciated!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest doramider7
Depends upon your definition of restore. I'm fixing my 26 up to the point where it's mechanically sound and safe to drive. I'll do the body work and interior to where it looks good. I don't need, and can't afford, a 20k paint job.

Taking the body off will depend on how involved I get in doing the body work and paint. It's a driver now and it'll be a driver when I'm done.

When I'm done most everything will be new or NOS. It should look real good but will never be a trophy winner. I have absolutely no desire to put it in a judged show.

For me the enjoyment comes in doing the work as best I can, finances permitting, and driving it.

No restoration this winter however I have been busy in the past with a 72 Corvette, 67 GTO, 55 Pontiac and a 67 Amphicar. Remodeled the entire house last winter.

Next winter I will hopefully start my final full blow restoration, another 67 Amphicar to AACA standards.

• 2 months later...
Guest Kingoftheroad

For the most part, I have the same philosophy as you guys when it comes to classic cars. When reviving an old classic, I prefer restoring back to stock . I hate seeing a classic (in any shape) get cut up into some lowrider or something, what a waste.. In my opinion, there are a few marques that look better slightly modified like the '53 - '56 F100s & the '55 Chevy pickups that get slightly modified to make really nice daily drivers.. Most of my restorations have been mostly back to stock. I have made some small compromises for the sake of reliability & safety like an electronic ignition, radial tires, & urethane enamel paint (lacquer is no where to be found..). I enjoy driving my old cars on a nice day.

• 2 months later...
Guest rs67ss350ac12bolt

Interesting topic. You guys crack me up...I have been restoring cars for 31 years. Sometimes professionally and others as a hobby. Several of my cars have won awards and they have all been restored back to factory original.

I currently have 3 being built. Each is a 67 Camaro (not by plan, it just happened that way). Two are rough and the third has just transistioned from the go-cart stage to a street legal car. I am building it so I can drive it. It looks stock but has HEI and other upgrades.

After selling my last car, another 67, I decided I didn't like letting them sit in the garage, gathering dust. It made me crazy when I got a scratch or a chip in the paint. I wanted one that I could drive and enjoy. If you can't drive it, then it needs to be a picture on the wall.

The more people see the old cars, the more the hobby will continue. :)

Interesting topic. You guys crack me up...

I guess that is another reason we’re all here is to do our best to entertain the frequent readers and mutual AACA members. Just having a shared passion for historically correct representations of a wide range of historical motor vehicles just can’t be enough. And I guess the skills demonstrated here by numerous members aren’t quite enough. It’s being able to hone the fine art of humor that really allows us to stand out, and I’m happy that we have succeeded.

Oh, I should also mention too I guess that one of the best part of being a forum member here is that just by joining the AACA website you too can post your restoration project(s) if you choose to, there is plenty of space available to accommodate plenty more. Not everyone here has every answer or solution to all challenges that arise while working on our individual restoration project(s) and those of us that have chosen to post our projects here are all opening ourselves up to input from our many readers both solicited and unsolicited as we all continue to learn. And finally as an added benefit we all continue to hone our funny bones too. Scott…

• 2 weeks later...

I am just finishing a ground-up restoration (my second) of a car and the years have flown on this project. Many people outside of our circle have no appreciation for how long it takes to do a ground-up. It's good to read all of the stories here.

My current project is a 65 K-code fastback Mustang, bone stock for historical and show reasons. All my friends ask me "How much longer?" and they all know the answer I've been giving for almost a year now: "Two weeks!" They are mostly drivers, and I - well, I like the journey of restoring. This one is coming up on six years.

I'll post some photos when it's done. In about two weeks! Until then...

Keep the faith!

• 1 month later...
Guest Curt Fouse

Yea, the current one is a 64 Chevy Impala SS hard top. It had been here for years in pieces, My age is 78 and I thought I better start getting it all in one piece. I took the easy route on another project and sold it to a younger, more ambitious guy. He is happy and so am I.

Curt Washington, WV

• 4 months later...
Guest 56 Cadillac

I don t think its dead at all. I know of several cars in different stages of completion in my area of Ontario, Canada.

Currently I am near completion of a 1956 Cadillac model 62 convertible, its been nearly 2 years and over 300 peices of metal needing either polishing or chroming. I can t wait to be cruising down an open country road !

I have included some pics of B 4 and where I am going with it.

Crappy camera doesn t really show off the original Duchess green paint. Interior is tan and off white leather.

post-77969-143138625412_thumb.jpg

post-77969-143138625439_thumb.jpg

post-77969-143138625463_thumb.jpg

post-77969-143138625713_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lwk442

After year's of looking at my prodject car's and selling them for family expenses

I started them again this year after having majior back sugery. ( which did not go well! ) but I started with my 71 442 W-30 conv. which I am doing a frame off

and working whith the Mondello guy's in CA. Well that started the fire.

Then with the 71 going to take a while I got my 1970 442-w30 conv. out and I started going to just make it a nice driver. But when we got into it some one

did a very shotty restore and then i put all new metal and bascily a complete frame on restore so I could drive it. Then i come across this 1922 REO and

then went crazy. got a 30 flying cloud and then a 1917 mdl M .

the 30 body is great but no running gear. the story i got is that a 80 year old guy put a BB old's and a ford 9 in rear end and was street racing it until his family made him stop at 84. I got the car because of the great line's and I want it back to orginal. but I got the 17 thinking it had all drive line complete and orginal. And maybe I could some how put the 30 on the 17 frame.

jury is still out on that. But i can tell you that it has been better therpy

than any doctor could do. They said quit my job and find another one.

I am 6 th generation foundry man I will die in the foundry like all my grand father's

did. But getting back into the car's has made me take a second look at life.

I wourk 7 day's a week and many hours at the house to keep the foundry going. These day's Stress is the bigest killer of good people. So the car's have given me a little release from the daily grind. And i think everyone out their should have some kind of a restoration going. It bring's family's closer and it is

just FUN. My wife and myself take the 1922 REO out every night for a ride and

it makes a shotty day not look as bad. I am just 47 and the doctors say I may

just walk for a few more year's so I am going full force with the car's because

i do not know when I may not be able to push the clutch in any more.

I joined this group and a few other club's for help with the restoration's. And

everyone I have spoke with are great! So I say if you have a car you have been putting off because of work/personal or financial reason's do not.

You do not have to spend money sanding or taking somthing apart and cleaning it. It help's your mind / body and sprit just doing the littlest thing's.

Thank everyone for their input and support with my car's!!

Larry

icon7.gif

• 1 month later...

To every one out their thank you for your support!!!

Having other people let's say push a little bit makes all the pain I go through to work on my car's woth it. And I hope soon to have my 70 W-30 out of paint and will post pic's.

Their is light at the end of the tunnel

• 1 month later...

Hello to All the members and DG-8 owners

I'm a new member and I had the honor to meet wonderful people on the forum.This August I have started to restore full frame a DG-8 1931 coupe rumble seat.

It's a great pleasure to see this car on the street again,I will try to restore the car at it's original status as close is possible.

I have been posting pics of the 58 bairitz I am restoring and was thinking of putting up some pics from past builds but was wondering where the line gets drawn for content. Is there a year cut off, and what about slightly modified cars. I'm restoring a mild custom 1970 Monte Carlo to it's original show car status which is just a custom hood with normal bolt on period correct speed parts. Is that too new or too modified? Also have pics for a 64 elcamino tasteful custom color, mostly original, hot engine. 67 acaidian canso stock, 56 f100 hotrod from the 60's. 66vette body and paint resto but way better than stock. 71 elcamino. What is too new, what is too hotrod. Searched the forum but couldn't come up with any distinct guidelines.

foxhole

Anything 25 years old or older qualifies for AACA as far as age. Restored to original condition is primarily what AACA is about. Stock appearing is safe. Basically, anything that does not look close to 100% stock is probably best reserved for another website.

That's kinda what I thought. I was going to go off of the same criteria we have to meet in my area for collector plates. Which is 25 years although they have allowances for safety upgrades and they allow some period correct aftermarket parts. Thank you for clearing that up. I like to try and follow forum etiquette. Some sites are pre 49, 64, 70 so I figured best to ask.

• 5 months later...
Guest TCcars

I was just asked to help a friend sell a few cars to a good home so I am trying to help but do not know a lot about this vintage of car. My first thought was to see who is restoring these days and may be looking for additional projects. All of these were restored before going into cold storage and have not been moved in almost 30 years. She has:

• 1923 Chevrolet Touring
  • 1930 Chevrolet Coupe
  • 1929 Chevrolet 2 dr Sedan
  • 1927 Dodge Coupe

Any suggestions would be great to help them find a home. I am also trying to figure out how much they are worth.

Thanks

Tcars,

Some questions to help in pricing/appraising their worth;

Are these cars "restored" 30 years ago and have been stored since?

Stored in unheated or weather protected area?

Were/are they complete w/ original trim, fittings?

Has anyone tried to start them or turn them over in 30 years?

None of these are "classics" but all are "antiques"

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

Guest TCcars

Thanks Ron,

You are correct, Antiques, I am not an expert but these (atleast the 3 Chevy's) seem to be completely restored with origional trim before going into storage. They were stored in a pole building without any heat / ac / humidity control. The building was used for storage of other boats / RV's etc... and seems to have worked to control against mice. There has been zero attempt to start or even clean the vehicles, they were parked, put up on blocks and left since the early 80's when the origional owner passed away. I am helping his widow move them.

Thank you,

Tom Christensen

Tom,

If you have a few months and some free time, if I were you, I would advertise them as for sale in many of the antique car publications as well as in the AACA website. Publications like "Old Cars", and "Classis Car" carry adds. You might also try adds in your local news and statewide news, as national sales candidates would be less inclined to travel to view these. Antique car guys are not necessarily that internet expert and the printed mediums are still used by most anique car guys who are also "antiques" in many ways.

Also, you could try selling them on ebay - get's very much traffic but you pay a fee.

How much does she want, cash, for all of them ? You might succeed in one bulk sale to a person who has the resources do handle restoring several. Alot of antique car guys have alot of cars and like to add more.

Some thoughts, Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

• 4 months later...

Yes there are a lot of self restroation going on I find most of them are not talk about some even by members. Iam restoring a 1930 Oakland ground up . The frame is done onwheels Have to finish the engine .Needs putting back together . The body is 90% finished , after replacing some of the wood . Going to do it orginal but no 400 point. Want it to do the Glidden tour . I have done all the work my self . With the help of a few members machine work . The oakland club was a great sourse.

Yes there are a lot of self restroation going on I find most of them are not talk about some even by members. Iam restoring a 1930 Oakland ground up . The frame is done onwheels Have to finish the engine .Needs putting back together . The body is 90% finished , after replacing some of the wood . Going to do it orginal but no 400 point. Want it to do the Glidden tour . I have done all the work my self . With the help of a few members machine work . The oakland club was a great sourse.

Are you going to post yours? Here's a cpuple of photos pf a nice origimal Oakland. Is it a '29?

post-59904-143139192169_thumb.jpg

post-59904-143139192172_thumb.jpg