What is this eBay chassis?

hddennis

I must admit I'm a bit surprised at all the negativity about the asking price for what has to be an extremely rare chassis. If you needed just the block, transmission or differential for your car what would you be willing to pay? I just spent years and about 3 times this much to get enough parts to assemble a working rear axle for my 1917 Maxwell. It involved shipping parts all over the world and a lot of begging people to disassemble and ship parts to me and this was for a car 10 times more common than this Mitchell. Do any of you complainers have parts for my Maxwell your willing to sell for next to nothing?

Howard Dennis

I agree that if somebody needed the Mitchell parts this would be a good deal. The problem is there are so few surviving Mitchells out there. And Maxwells are more common so there is probably more demand for parts ,therefore a higher price must be paid. I was offered a pretty complete 1917 or18 Mitchell; on wire wheels, with a truckfull of parts from a second one for less than $2500.00 {several years ago but I don't think Mitchells have gone up in value since then}. It was a good deal , but I was at a swap meet without a trailer and it was a few hundred miles from home plus I didn't really need another project. I may be mistaken but I believe it ended up in Australia.

These late teens cars are big projects without any ultimate resale value that approaches the cost of restoration.

Greg in Canada

Remember the ship loaded with brand new Mitchells that sank in Lake Michigan in the teens? I think somebody recovered one and tried to restore it.

I believe those were Chryslers. At least, that is the story in my "Shipwrecks of the Lakes" book.

• 3 weeks later...

It is neither 1917 or 18 , It is 1919 or 20 , makes a big difference in the value. There are a lot of Mitchells around, I have four. it's amazing how they keep turning up. I was watching the ebay auction and wondered how it was identified, now I know. Appears to be in very good order , I could use some of the parts and would happily bid if only it were closer. Perhaps the winning bidder might like to sell me some bits??? NOEL