On Forum Cruise-in

Shop Rat

My 1969 Hurst SC/Rambler (B) paint scheme with Crossram-Intake.

77052.jpg

77054.jpg

I'm also posting a photo of the totally original 1971 T-Bird that I sold last year. I was the first person under the age of 70 to ever drive this car and I was the second owner. I bought it off the owners wife three years ago, she was 97. This was the nicest car I have ever owned and I hated to sell it. A 85 year old man bought the car off me as he has always wanted a Black one. I can buy it back from him whenever I want,I might just do that if I can get the money someday. It was only sold because I have my dream Rambler and the Harley you see with the T-Bird.The other motorcycle I gave to a friend that always wanted one but never had any money because he has a child with special needs. He has a lot of fun with that bike !!!!!!

852scan0007.jpg

852scan0014-med.jpg

Thanks,

Mtt & Valeri Wilson

I guess I will be the first to post a Studebaker to this Cruise-in. My 1929 Studebaker President Brougham. A work in progress. These pictures were taken in September at the Galt Old Car Festival in Galt, CA. The reason the car looks that way it does is because I have it running good, and just don't have the time to restore it. At least in it's present condition it is a good driver.

brougham2.jpgbrougham1.jpg

Here's my '68 VW Beetle, summertime daily driver. Not a show car, but a road warrior with it's share of battle scars. I've not been good about driving it *all* summer lately, but usually do get about 4,000 miles a year on it as a rough minimum. The roof rack is a Japan repro, but looks funky & "vintage" with the wood slats. The tires are some narrow ww radials that Coker sells (165R15), on stock 4" wheels that I refinished silver (should be two-tone black & white for a '68--the "all silver" look didn't start until '70)...

334576-68VWRightSideSept05rsz.jpg

Hello - I think your '29 Studebaker President looks GREAT the way it is! Too many old cars are too shiny. Your car doesn't need restoration, especially if it runs as well as you've stated. It just needs PRESERVATION, especially if that's the original paint (and primer!) - I can't tell from the photo. Even if it's an older repaint, I think she (he? - after all "he" is a President and all 43 of them so far have been he's - at least to the best of our knowledge!)looks wonderful as is - much more interesting than if she/he(?) looked just like (or nowadays, typically better than) she/he(?) rolled off the South Bend assembly line. In this condition you can have just as much fun with your Stude, and perhaps even more (free from worries about stone chips, belt buckles, chewing gum, cigarette ashes, hail and other 99pt (or 390 pt+ in AACA parlance) showcar hazzards)than if "it" (that's one way to settle the she/he argument I guess) were restored and way more fun than if it were a 99pt "trailer queen". And on a personal note, I think the present color scheme is much more interesting than the stock monochromic or two toned paint schemes typical of the era. Besides there should be some cars that represent what cars really looked like on the street and not just in the showroom during the depression (and during other eras of the past century as well). Just wanted to say your car has character and presence (and great patina) as it is and in my opinion it would be a shame to change that.

olcarherb

Thank you for you kind comments on the Studebaker. I have had mixed feelings about restoring the car or leaving it as is. I guess there is good reason for both schools of thought. It is the times when I would like to attend various activities with friends who have restored cars of the same vintage and I am excluded by the show organizers because my car is "not presentable" that makes me want to restore the Studebaker. The car when new would have had a buck skin leather roof (current roof covering is an old replacement), the body was two shades of green with light brown fenders and belt line and revels. I pulled the car out of over 30 years of storage, went through everything mechanical to get it running and road worth over one winter and have been driving it since. Great road car that does 60 on the freeway with no problems. It has a stock 337 straight eight engine.

Here is a picture of the car when I found it about 8 years ago. Someone had repainted the car a solid red which I have been slowly removing a little bit at a time down to the original factory paint colors.

broughamfound.1.jpg

Guest my3buicks

This is a 72 Centurion Convertible - the big GM convertible the jet set chose if they wanted great performance, great style, and handling. This would have been GM's 2nd most prestigious luxury convertible in 72, but not the land barge styling, handling, and performance of the # 1 Eldorado Convertible. web page

Guest boblove

We've just returned from what I consider one of the ultimate "Cruise-Ins". A regional tour. This one was held in Northeast Florida with gorgeous fall weather and over 90 fantastic cars. Mine is the '56 Ford Customline Victoria in the middle. This is what belonging to AACA is all about; enoying our cars with a bunch of new and old friends.

We too drive a VW in the summers. In fact we tow it around the country looking for neat places to drive it. Occasionlly we find a club tour to join and really see the local sites. This is a 66 VW, the last of the 6 Volt cars.

Can go to antique gatherings or streetrod gathering with it's duals and skirts.

Hey, very cool Paul--that's one slick Beetle! What part of FL do you live? We love to vacation in Vero Beach, and caught a fun car show run by the Indian River Region AACA a couple of years back, and enjoyed checking out another beautiful vintage Beetle there: http://members.aol.com/commongear/FeaturePhoto9.html

Mark - Any show organizer who would exclude that nice car from any show as "not presentable" is an a**h**e (and that ain't athlete misspelled!). Original paint cars, in my opinion (and many others whose opinions I also value), though not "sleepers" anymore will be even more highly prized in the future. That's been the case with antique toys for decades now (repaint an old toy and you destroy as much as 90% of it's value), with wood furniture over the past couple of decades I'd guess (the Antiques Roadshow "experts" frequently tell the owner's of refinished pieces something like "If you (or someone else) HADN'T stripped the original varnish off that 1740's hutch/table etc. and refinished it so beautifully (sound familiar?) it would be worth $80,000.00 instead of $12-15,000.00") and with old motorcycles for the past few years. Eventually us car guys will catch on and catch up to what collectors in other disciplines discovered and figured out years or decades ago. It's only original once or (perhaps after your noteworthy conservation efforts as to stripping off that red paint to "restore" as much of the original finish as possible) - twice! BTW I bet your friends with the "restored cars" are secretly envious of the "fun combined with lack of worry 'bout scratches stone chips etc." you have with the Stude. Anyway, Mark, Good Luck with it and you don't ever have to feel like a second class citizen with that car. Herb

Dear Dale, I also like smaller cars but I have a big family, so when going on longer trips i need a large car. The Hupmobile has been in the family for 45 years and was my daily driver for a while. The children loved to ride in this car and never got car-sick. On trips, when children were small, we put our suitcases on the floor in front of the rear seat and some pillows on top. Then they had a flat area to ply and sleep on.

The Buick 32-87 I bought to have something to work on. The Hupp is an original car with some touch-up of the paint and I don't want to restore it. The Buick looks very nice but engine smokes and the front seat cushion is missing. When I drive the Buick I have to borrow the cushion from the Hupp. Presently I am working on a new cushion. The frame and all the springs are made. Nowadays gas is getting so expensive so we can't make so many long trips with these cars.

Now our children are grown up and because of the high gas price we bought the car below - a Buick 40-56s. It looked so small on the photo the seller sent me but when it arrived to Sweden I realised that it is rather large. Anyhow, it takes less gas and even my wife can drive it. The photo is taken on a trip in Norway last summer. The road is high up in the mountain and some snow could still be found i July.

9904Road_55_Buick_IMG_4566_copy-med.JPG .

Jan