1936 Packard eight sedan

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/548347197671031/?

Driven 111,111 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Blue · Interior color:
This vehicle is paid off

Seller's description

I have a 36 packard of my father's I'm looking to sell. Fairly good condition for it's age and not alot of rust. Would make an excellent restoration and restored models of this age are brining very good money. I just don't have the time to give it the attention it deserves. Will entertain RESONABLE offers
Product photo of 1936 Packard eight sedan
  • Like 1

It's a 1936 Packard Eight four door sedan, 5-passenger, Model 1400, Body Style No. 903, 127" wb.  This was the entry-level Senior model at $2,385.  Hopefully most of the interior is savable, only the top insert and headliner need replacement.  This is high-quality wool broadcloth and EXPENSIVE to redo! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Will entertain RESONABLE offers

THIS is the unfortunate psychological hurdle. 

Seller hasn’t determined a price in his mind. He has likely searched “1930s Packard values” on Google and has dreamed about cashing in the inheritance.  

Likely the first few buyer contacts will be treated as lowball (unreasonable) appraisals.  

Having the look of a once restored car from a time when prewar cars were highly sought after (Dad’s era) this seller will need a lot of real world education about current conditions (including the current condition of the car) before any deal can be reached.  

Interesting car but I’ll stay away until the seller psychologically decides that he REALLY wants to sell it.  I’m not into courting sellers any longer.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, m-mman said:

THIS is the unfortunate psychological hurdle. 

Seller hasn’t determined a price in his mind. He has likely searched “1930s Packard values” on Google and has dreamed about cashing in the inheritance.  

Likely the first few buyer contacts will be treated as lowball (unreasonable) appraisals.  

Having the look of a once restored car from a time when prewar cars were highly sought after (Dad’s era) this seller will need a lot of real world education about current conditions (including the current condition of the car) before any deal can be reached.  

Interesting car but I’ll stay away until the seller psychologically decides that he REALLY wants to sell it.  I’m not into courting sellers any longer.  

So, what would you say it's worth as it sits? One thing with the interior, more than likely it has/had mice & I know of NO way to get that smell out.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

So, what would you say it's worth as it sits?

Pick a number……A running driving Packard 8 that while it runs has issues from being parked. (Fuel system and tires). It has been washed and detailed but has moth holes in the interior and the headliner has fallen.  It can easily and reliably be driven on and off a transporter.  $$15k? Maybe $20k??? 

Now subtract the garage cleaning cost and the towing charges and work to get it out.  
Deduct the cleaning and detailing costs.  
Then deduct ALL the mysteries that are going on mechanically. (Engine free? Gas tank choked with rust? Cooling system failures and needed maintenance, etc, etc)

Remembering that since it doesn’t run and there is no testing (compression testing, stuck valve) the buyer has to assume the worst. ( because the seller isn’t going to give any refunds when a major repair is discovered) 

Subtract all that from the $20k and $5000 sounds like a fair deal.  But you can be sure that the seller has “comps” in the $50,000 to $100,000 range (Eight?  Twelve? They are the same car and value) and he is thinking that $20,000 to $25,000 as it sits is a gift and will sell quickly. 

• Like 4

In my opinion it’s a $12K to $16K car if it can be started and run and if the interior can be adequately cleaned.  But the buyer won’t be one of the first three who makes that offer.  Sellers with unrealistic expectations take a while to come around; if ever.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kar3516 said:

In my opinion it’s a $12K to $16K car if it can be started and run and if the interior can be adequately cleaned.  But the buyer won’t be one of the first three who makes that offer.  Sellers with unrealistic expectations take a while to come around; if ever.

I agree with this completely.  All sellers have a hard time believing the market.  Even those of us that think we know it.

• Like 3

This is the type of car that when you engage the seller, be very nice. Tell him you love the car, compliment him, don’t insult him at all, and don’t mock him or say anything negative about his price. end the conversation on a positive tone and let him know you’d like to stay in touch because you’d love to be the next owner of it.

after several months of being told, he’s an idiot and getting the #%*! beat out of him, he might remember you as the only nice person he spoke to. When he realizes the true value, he’ll be inclined to have you be the next owner.  Stay in touch and always be positive. 

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

No, this is the type of car you don't buy because there are 10 other equally mediocre cars for less money and in better condition.

Yep, exactly.  And when a would be seller tells you he has no price in mind, he’s lying.  Anyone who owns a car has “a price in mind”, even if car isn’t for sale.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2024 at 2:45 PM, TAKerry said:

There is one way to get the smell out, gut the interior and put in new!

That's why the air filter is in the back seat... The occupants need clean air more than the engine does at this point.

• Haha 1