'65 battery advice needed

RIVNIK

Greetings,Gents(IUTTL)  Can anyone out there recommend their favorite '65 battery?  After years of faithful service my Interstate finally gave up. in the mean time Interstate discontinued the MTP-91/T6, which I really liked because it is not only a perfect fit, but is all black & relatively featureless, has two pull-up handles,& the terminals are sunk down below the top surface which gives added protection from improperly placed 7/16x1/2 box-end wrenches. The replacements Interstate offers have ugly bright green tops, which I shudder to think about inside my otherwise stock engine bay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (short of Krylon satin black, which I have, or a fake battery top, not ready to go there). Thanks, Drew

• Like 1

I’m getting ready to purchase one.  I found this one which should fit.  If you’re into originality, you could probably peel off the stickers and put some repo Delco stickers on it along with some of the glue on Delco caps.  It’s a Group 27 which was used originally but this one is a 27F which makes it easier to run the cables.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/duralast-platinum-efb-battery-bci-group-size-27f-810-cca-27f-efb/1070584_0_0

Personally, I like Deka (East Penn) batteries. I get good life (up to 10 years) out of them, and they are a family-owned, made in USA company.

You can find the Interstate Battery website's online catalog and then compare the "black" batteries with the size you need.  Anything with the offset-level terminals was never OEM on anything other than later model vehicles.  Measuring what you have against the size specs in the online catalog can very well result in a suitable replacement item.

Interstate makes the "black" batteries for OEMs like Toyota, Lexus, Hyundai, and others.  It's the stickers they put on them at the point of delivery to the dealership parts dept that defines the batteries for the OEM brands.  Interstate WILL ship/deliver to your location, as I understand it?  Plus having retail store locations in many metro areas (which can be found via the website).

Just some observations,

NTX5467 

If you like the Interstate T6 get the AGM H6...grey box black top...it'll be a tad taller, but not enough to make a difference since the posts are inset from the flat top. 3yr warranty, great battery, same layout. Cheaper at costco or Sam's club or whatever ya got by you. Same exact battery though.

And if ya don't like that option, I always like the optima no matter what anybody says the quality compared to past. Its sold and produced by interstate as well. They are legit. I run an 800cc red top in my rivi.

Only my half a volts worth, but I was in the battery game for 15+ years til recent.

That is a Group 27 battery. I am still buying blems from the Interstate distribution center in Rochester, NY. This spring I bought  a battery for my Avalanche and asked if they had any 27 blems. They had a few. I got one for a Buick spare and shared the info with our local Buick BCA chapter. They sell for $65 exchange. Been using them since the early 1990s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I need to ask you guys who have disconnect switches on your batteries “Do you reset your clocks every time you reconnect?”

You certainly don't want to do that with the '86 thru '99 Rivieras (and Reattas).  The car's brains have to relearn everything, and it usually takes 100-/+ miles to do so.  Been there, done that. 

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dship said:

You certainly don't want to do that with the '86 thru '99 Rivieras (and Reattas).  The car's brains have to relearn everything, and it usually takes 100-/+ miles to do so.  Been there, done that. 

Ship,

Do the BCA judges take away points for having a disconnect switch installed?

I always wear a wristwatch so long ago I removed my clock, refurbished it, & boxed it up for the next owner to use. I replaced it w an oil pressure gauge, which gives much greater peace of mind. Besides I'm retired & don't care what time it is. Hey Bernie, I've never heard the term "blem". Is that the same as "scratch&dent"? Thanks for the pic, Gungeey. That's the look I was looking for. Ill call NAPA

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ship,

No, it is considered to be a 'safety item'.  I attended judging school in Strongsville and judged on Saturday.  It was a good experience.  ;)

I concur, however, that you shouldn't routinely disconnect power on a car that uses an ECM.  Disconnect for long-term storage, or connect a battery tender.

8 minutes ago, EmTee said:

No, it is considered to be a 'safety item'.  I attended judging school in Strongsville and judged on Saturday.  It was a good experience.  ;)

I concur, however, that you shouldn't routinely disconnect power on a car that uses an ECM.  Disconnect for long-term storage, or connect a battery tender.

With that being a safety factor, couldn’t you argue that adding a dual reservoir master cylinder could also fall under the same umbrella?  Not being a BCA member all of this is foreign to me.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ship,

Don't know for sure, but I would think they would, unless it's considered a "safety feature".

Edited by dship (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I used to have the BCA judges manual but I remember the rubber battery terminal boots were not allowed.

If the terminal boots were not installed at the factory then you could be dinged 1 point for 'authenticity'.  The thing I learned at the judge's school was there's apparently no allowance for dealer-installed accessories.  The specific example I asked about was special dealer accessory packages such as faux convertible tops that were fairly common on '79 - '85 Rivieras.  The judging team captain will, however, defer to factory documentation provided by the owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just returned from  4 week overseas vacation, and thought i would answer this  as well,

i judged from 1990 to 1993,---then again later 1997 to 2001,  and i can confirm, that  in the years 

1990 --93   points were   not taken of for rubber battery cover boots,  but i think they were  later around  year 1997 plus,,

main reason is  with the correct stock battery from the factory  ,there was approx 1.1/2 inch clearance from under hood,

to top of battery  posts, so the factory would never have fitted rubber boot covers in those years. 

On 7/16/2024 at 8:54 PM, EmTee said:

I think East Penn and Interstate are the only two US manufacturers left...

Think again! Interstate was never a manufacturer! Just a jobber who saw a need to stock repair shops with fresh batteries. He began selling out of the back of his Studebaker truck. 😉

Bill Darden kept a list for years. I see it is no longer, but I did find a 2021 page in the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210725193631/http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

You can see Clarios makes Interstate batteries for starting (cars). Clarios bought Johnson Controls. Other smaller (and even GS Yuasa Japan) make deep cycle and small (power sports) batteries for Interstate.

Yes, that list is HARD to read but our friend CTRL F lets searching for a name easy. Only Manufacturers are in BOLD. And of course the list is three years old, so who knows who bought who since then.😮

Blems, hmm, can mean the case has visual defects that do not affect the performance of the battery.

Or, could be these are the returns from the shop displays, as they age out. That truck is always making sure the shop has the popular batteries on the rack and they are fresh.😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Think again! Interstate was never a manufacturer!

Yes, thanks for the link.  The other US manufacturer (East Penn is one) is Clarios.