What to do in the Dakotas

BlueDevil

You did not mention what day you will be in what area.  North Dakota or South Dakota?

Just google each state and you will see some interesting museums in different towns.

We are going to both.

Google does not give unbiased opinions or reviews from personal experience which is kind of what I am looking for.

You can make anything look great on a website

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

We are going to both.

Google does not give unbiased opinions or reviews from personal experience which is kind of what I am looking for.

You can make anything look great on a website

Wow!  I did not expect a lesson in website-101. 

You are quite welcome.

The Dahl Car Museum at Bonanzaville historic village in Fargo North Dakota. Also see the Medora Musical live show at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota. Flag waving Americana. In between those you might see pronghorn antelope in the distance and lots of sunflowers.  

If you go to the musical show be sure to look up in the sky after the show. I don' know if I have ever seen so many stars.

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CarNucopia said:

If I recall correctly, the Crazy Horse monument was voted one of the top tourist traps. When I went (20+ years ago), it seemed like a waste of money.

Lots of local car shows take place around that area over the summer weekends.  Best to find a Cruise Calendar for the area, and study it in advance to see where you can chance upon these local car shows.

Craig

There is Pioneer in Murdo, SD, as mentioned above. I've been there twice and it is worth the stop, I enjoyed it, but probably not the top of everyone's list. There is another auto museum in Rapid City SD, I have not been there so I cannot comment. That makes it old car related, so I can ramble on. I really like the Black Hills of SD, have been there multiples times, and I live on the east coast. Here are other suggestions in and near the Black Hills: The Air Museum at Ellsworth Air Force Base. Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. The national parks are all great. Lots of hiking if you like, plenty of other things if you don't. Town of Custer and Custer State Park are excellent, wildlife loop road, needles highway, a beer at the oldest saloon in the black hills, ect. Dickinson ND has a nice museum but also not car related. Depending on which way you are coming and going, near Omaha NE is the SAC museum, worth the stop, and there is Pipestone National Monument in MN.

The Crazy Horse Monument now hosts the American Indian Museum, run by the Lakota people. It's incredible and well worth the visit. I visited in 2022. https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/museums/american-indian-museum/

My advice for North Dakota...don't. drove north from Sturgis up to I94 to head to Minnesota to see the US hockey Hall of Fame. It was the only car ride I've ever been on that I didn't enjoy, normally going for a ride is one of my favorite things to do. I-94 was ok. Fargo seemed interesting but just passed through. I have now visited 35 states and North Dakota is the only one I don't want to go back to. 

Devil's Tower is a worthy side trip as mentioned..there were ads for a small car museum in the town but we didn't have time to stop. 

To me Devil's Tower was more interesting on the approach than up close. When you are driving to it you can see it getting bigger and bigger, starting from 16 miles away. When you are up close to it it's just a big rock. 

Driving through South Dakota there are about a million billboards for Wall Drug. There are also more than a few for a firehouse themed restaurant in Rapid City that has old firetrucks parked under the billboards. However they are along the interstate and you can't really stop to see them. 

Not car related but I really enjoyed Reptile Gardens in Rapid City. 

Well, I am afraid it will have to be some current vintage Hertzmobile.

Now if I can just get to the airport as the debate will shut down Atlanta about the time I have to get to Hartsfield to catch a 10: night flight.

Luckily, there is the I285 outer beltway.

Thanks to all for your input. We are kind of wanderers and we will stop at anything that gets our interest and you have given us a lot of options.