4 Speed: 1973 Chevrolet Chevelle SS

I've wanted a 73 Colonade style 454 4 speed for a long time.  This one comes close.   Not too far from me either.  I was tempted to ask about the paperwork since he mentions it.  Will not buy a musclecar that doesn't have some level of paperwork: build sheet, invoice, etc.

Barnfinds link:  https://barnfinds.com/68k-mile-4-speed-1973-chevrolet-chevelle-ss/

Original CL ad:  https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/rehoboth-1973-chevy-chevelle-ss/7755647902.html

1973 Chevelle SS 68k miles. Matching numbers 350 4bbl.
Factory 4 speed. Very original survivor car.
One of 2800 Canadian built z15's for US sales.
Have supporting documentation and build sheet from vintage vehicle services.
Car runs and drives great.
Only a few day 2 add ons and maintenance items.
Brand new daul exhaust system just installed.
$17,500. located in Rehoboth, ma. 02769

image.jpeg.d0152fe8de022465cc2b37dfe1601a61.jpegimage.jpeg.0ab0ded74c31fe22b2c40c50b18947a7.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you can live with the small-block, you already know how uncommon a 1973 SS 4-speed is. The shabby front seats is the worst thing I see on it. It looks pretty much unmolested and it's clean underneath which is unusual on a northeast Colonnade. Even its smog pump plumbing is intact.

Not sure if $17k is on the money for one of these. That's tipping into Hurst/Olds territory and Colonnade Hurst/Olds don't sell from diddly either. All Colonnades suffer from the notion that GM didn't build cars after 1972. But I like them, and that strange idea can work to a Colonnade fan's advantage.

So, ask yourself if you can live with the small-block, or should you wait for a unicorn 454/4-speed 1973 SS to come along.

• Like 3

Check over the rear fender wells for rust out and around the rear tail lights.  The tail lights had rubber doughnuts around them that would trap water and make rust.  Speaking from my own ownership experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

If you can live with the small-block, you already know how uncommon a 1973 SS 4-speed is. The shabby front seats is the worst thing I see on it. It looks pretty much unmolested and it's clean underneath which is unusual on a northeast Colonnade. Even its smog pump plumbing is intact.

Not sure if $17k is on the money for one of these. That's tipping into Hurst/Olds territory and Colonnade Hurst/Olds don't sell from diddly either. All Colonnades suffer from the notion that GM didn't build cars after 1972. But I like them, and that strange idea can work to a Colonnade fan's advantage.

So, ask yourself if you can live with the small-block, or should you wait for a unicorn 454/4-speed 1973 SS to come along.

Probably not.  I see a 454 4 speed car about once every 2 or 3 years.   Having the right car come along with colors I like and matching numbers and paperwork may never happen.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

I really like the Laguna S3 package.  These cars are growing on me as I get older. 

Find one that's not rusty. A tough pursuit. As a former owner of a few of these it's hard to find a solid original one. My choice would be 76 Laguna S-3 400.

• Like 1

I like this car. No, they weren't my thing in the '70's, but they look good to me now. I think too many people (including myself back then) saw the big bumpers first and the nice lines and sleek body second. I often imagine what sort of bumpers they would've put on this had the 5 mph units not been mandated. Doesn't matter really, even with big bumpers they look WAY better than many mid sized Chevies that came after them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Those 73 bumpers though….  

I was in the 3rd grade in 1973. I dont ever remember looking at cars and thinking anything about the bumpers. I still dont.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was in the 3rd grade in 1973. I dont ever remember looking at cars and thinking anything about the bumpers. I still dont.  

Me neither, until he pointed them out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

So what do you think the production numbers are on 454 four speed Lagunas?

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/1974-laguna-s-3-454-4spd-how-many-where-made.331270/

The best info I found on the subject. After you posed the question I became curious myself. I hope you find it interesting. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I am sure a person can live with the bumpers, most if not all manufacturers had to go that route but - as someone else mentioned - I will take a Laguna, which like some brands "wrapped" the bumper. Corvette did that, Laguna and I believe Pontiac on some models. Now, everyone of course does it.  

I for one love Collonades, and the fuselage era of 1969 to 1977ish.  It's almost stupid to call them poorly styled.  A 1972 Chevelle SS was a "meh" car to me. 1970, with a better grille and taillights - much better.  I always liked the bittersweet orange color GM used predominantly in that 73-77 era, and Chevelles wore that color very well. 

I am still disappointed that the "catalog companies" where you can almost build a 64-72 A Body from GM has largely ignored the 73-77's.  Maybe I am wrong, but the last "Classic Industries" catalogs I have seen ignore those years.  There were millions made among all of the GM makes and certainly there are collectors.  I was 9 years old in 1973 and 13-15 by 1977 or so, so yes I remember these rust buckets, er, cars when new.   My Grandma Ocie had a 2 door Cutlass Supreme, 1974 I believe and I wanted that when she stopped driving.  

My Aunts and Uncles bickered and gave it to another kid who promptly abused it and now it's a Toyota or Kia or whatever.   

Some rod/custom fellows 'tuck' those 1970's 5-mph bumper closer to the body, eliminating that body-color splash panel.  It makes the design much more integrated, though not factory of course. 

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

So what do you think the production numbers are on 454 four speed Lagunas?

Very Very small numbers I'm thinking. My 74 El Camino SS 454 was automatic and I knew they were far and few between back then in 77-78. Very prone to rust out, so by the late 80's early 90's there were hardly any left due to tinworm. Nobody even really wanted the mid 70's 454's due to smog and dropped HP. A factory 4 speed would be one in 10,000 back then.

My 1975 Laguna was a 350. Automatic. Swivel buckets and buckets of rust!

9 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I bought a new SS Chevelle in 1973 while working at RCA in Lancaster PA.  Quite a comparison.  Maybe you had a HotWheels car back then?😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Very Very small numbers I'm thinking. My 74 El Camino SS 454 was automatic and I knew they were far and few between back then in 77-78. Very prone to rust out, so by the late 80's early 90's there were hardly any left due to tinworm. Nobody even really wanted the mid 70's 454's due to smog and dropped HP. A factory 4 speed would be one in 10,000 back then.

My 1975 Laguna was a 350. Automatic. Swivel buckets and buckets of rust!

I had a 73 El Camino SS 454 4 speed car in high school.  It had an open rear axle so would hop like mad.  Split bench seat. And no I didn’t have it long. I did learn to drive a manual with it because of so much torque   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

I bought a new SS Chevelle in 1973 while working at RCA in Lancaster PA.  Quite a comparison.  Maybe you had a HotWheels car back then?😀

Absolutely. I had them all! I am the youngest of 5 with 3 older brothers. We would each get a new hot wheels about once a month. We would take a family trip to Sears then Almart (yes, Almart). Dad would always be getting some kind of tool, saw blades or something. Us boys each got a car. As my brothers aged out I inherited theirs. I had a couple of big paper grocery sacks full. I had just about every one made going back to the beginning. They were stored at Mom and Dads, dad had a clean up guy get rid of everything and along they went. He did warn us, I just didnt take it serious. I guess its payback as he had every superman comic made from the beginning. When he went to the Marines my grandmother threw everything away. I joke that between his comics and my hot wheels I could be sitting on a nice retirement about now!

• Like 3