Restoring graphics

Posted (edited)

This may help some in their restoration efforts.

A few may know I have a fetish for old art deco battery chargers. I recently picked up an old (70's) charger made by Allen. I did get all the electricals sorted out and fully functioning but I was really stumped about how to restore the control panel graphics.

There is a shop near me that has a sign reading "Vinyl Creations"....... What the Hell is that?

I took the rusty beat up panel in, explained my problem, and showed them the panel. He said "No problem, 20 bucks."

He ran a copy of the panel, a couple of days later he Emailed a proof of the proposed vinyl over lay for approval.

Below is the before and after. They even applied the vinyl after I cleaned, smoothed and primed the panel. They also covered the upper panel in matching white, no graphics needed, for $6....Bob

allen 2.jpg

face.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 15

Posted (edited)

I did.... I'm kind of an originality stickler when it comes to my cars.........But a battery charger?......

The timer was missing, replaced by an on/off switch. New timers, made for chargers, are available but as 120 minute rather than the original 60 Minute. The timer dial graphics came with the new timer as a stick on. The girls at the vinyl shop could have simply retimed the graphics, as original, to show 120 minutes but i liked the stick on so they copied that. I also changed some colors and removed the makers logo from the stick on.

I got the tour and was blown away by the process. It's all done on a computer screen. Color, font, shading, anything you want is just a click away. The printer is about 6 feet wide and can print pretty much any color on the Pantone pallet.

I marked up two proofs before I approved the final layout.

I'm still awed by the technology. .............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

They may not be exactly the same, but they look outstanding and they sent a proof to approve.  If it was not acceptable Bob could have had them edit and send another proof.

The great thing about this method is that it is just a specialized color printer with the proper inks. The work is in the design on the computer. If you do not like something it is as simple as editing a drawing.

In any case. $26 for the materials and the time is a great value.

Looks GREAT!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

You’ll want to clear over the vinyl. Originally it would have been screen printed. Mike

Be careful. Some paint solvents will interact with the vinyl film

9 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I got the tour and was blown away by the process. It's all done on a computer screen. Color, font, shading, anything you want is just a click away. The printer is about 6 feet wide and can print pretty much any color.

With a car, it can be painted with ABB's new 'PixelPaint' process:  PixelPaint | ABB

Craig

3 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

You’ll want to clear over the vinyl. Originally it would have been screen printed. Mike

The print is a two step process. First the graphics then an over lay of clear.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Be careful. Some paint solvents will interact with the vinyl film

I'm guessing that's correct. Of course some solvents damage any type paint or coating..........Bob

• Like 1

I had a set of license plates done in a similar process.

Couldn't tell them from original from two feet.

37 is right, it's all in the computer prep.

That's a hell of a deal then! I work with a screen printing company often and the cost of silkscreening one-off designs is much more expensive if you don't have large quantities.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished with the Allen charger. Electricly it's 100%. Cosmetics and graphics came out very nice. Here,s few pix of the before and after. Have no idea what I'll do with it. I have vintage chargers coming out of my ears. I need an intervention ...........Bob

allen 1.jpg

allen 2.jpg

allen 7.jpg

allen 6.jpg

allen 8.jpg

allen 5.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did a similar thing to save my original number plate on my Packard 120. All the graphics had been lost so I found a high quality scan of the one I needed then had it printed full size on adhesive vinyl. A little judicious work with an Xacto and all was well. 

Your battery charger looks great!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I finished with the Allen charger.  I have vintage chargers coming out of my ears. I need an intervention ...........Bob

No. You need more vintage battery chargers! Hair of the dog and all...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I finished with the Allen charger. Electricly it's 100%. Cosmetics and graphics came out very nice. Here,s few pix of the before and after. Have no idea what I'll do with it. I have vintage chargers coming out of my ears. I need an intervention ...........Bob

allen 1.jpg

allen 2.jpg

allen 7.jpg

allen 6.jpg

allen 8.jpg

allen 5.jpg

I'm in Wisconsin and wish you were closer as I would buy it!

• 2 weeks later...

After I thought I was finished I realized that there is supposed to be an instruction plate on the lid. I had no original so I made up my own instruction sheet and went back to the vinyl guy.

I picked it up today and showed the guy a pix of the finished charger. He asked if I wanted to sell it but I guess he didn't like the price I gave him...............Bob

inst.jpg

inst 1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great job! I used "Fast Signs" to make new numbers to restore the speedometer on a '51 Simca where the numbers and lettering were painted on the glass. It's a project that didn't support a high end Speedo restoration, but now it looks very good and it was $50! They can do surprisingly small and fine work! 

On 6/13/2024 at 4:38 PM, zdillinger said:

I did a similar thing to save my original number plate on my Packard 120. All the graphics had been lost so I found a high quality scan of the one I needed then had it printed full size on adhesive vinyl. A little judicious work with an Xacto and all was well. 

Your battery charger looks great!

Photo, please.