Fuel tank with filler neck needed

Looking for a Fuel tank with filler neck for a 67 GS400 Convertible.  Found other 67 A-Body tanks but not Buick. People are telling me to cut the neck off of the old one and weld it onto a new tank without the filler neck (found that tank on RockAuto). This can’t be right.  Or can it. I would really prefer a new tank with the filler neck already installed. Thought or suggestions on how I might proceed. Maybe a workaround on getting something to work on the tank that does not have the filler neck. Thanks. 

John D1956:  me too but apparently not. I have checked several sources ( Chevelle guys and my friend who I affectionately refer to as a Buick bigot because “they stopped making cars after 1967” when he bought his first GS).  The tank might be the same but the filler neck is different. 

I did find a radiator shop about an hour away that said they could perform the welding job but that will be my last resort. 

thanks for the reply. 

I bought a tank from one of the regular Buick suppliers, can't recall which one right now but it came with a filler neck and a heavy rubber boot to connect it to the tank.  No way on earth would it fit in my 49 Roadmaster.  I complained and was told most people use their old filler neck.  Not a great solution but I can see how hard it would be to get it perfect for so many cars.  The tank was from tanksinc.com.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't weld anything  onto a used fuel tank unless I had a death wish. An acquaintance of mine, who should have known better, was killed a couple of years ago right here in Leonard, Texas while trying to weld something onto his diesel truck's tank. It exploded.

Maybe okay to weld a brand new tank that never had any fuel in it to begin with...

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)

Pete  you are correct and right here,  same thing happened  in New Zealand about 

1977-78  at a holden   GM  dealership---but the gas tank was from a  Holden 

sedan  for memory i think  model called a Premier sedan, that model has a V8 308 ci  petrol engine.

trying to  repair a  leak  in the gas tank.

I own a car with a new tank installed by the previous owner. The neck was reused with a rubber coupling the neck was not secure, I added support to position it better in the filler door. The downside is that the tank now has a rubber coupling that gets soaked in fuel when it's full and you're driving. I replaced the rubber hose with one rated for today's fuels and check it during inspections to prevent any fuel leaks. The fill neck was modified during installation, and I plan to find  a neck and swap the neck someday.  I know a gent that filled a tank with water and tried to weld it. Yes it blew he was OK just rank his bell and split the tank. 

When it comes to attaching a neck to a tank, it's indeed very dangerous. The only safe way to do this work is to degas and confirm its safety. Some radiator shops may do  this work, but they often lack the necessary equipment for proper degassing. If there's a cargo tank repair shop nearby, it's best to use their services as they have the equipment to degas, confirm safety,  they should be  able to attach a neck, and perform leak tests. I work in a shop that is a cargo tank shop and we degass and weld fuel trucks almost daily small fuel tanks come in once and a while for repair we steam the tank confirm it is safe and perform the repair then leak test. 

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 195354 said:

The only safe way to do this work is to degas and confirm its safety.

Which reminds me of back when I owned a Corvair back in the 1980s and in tune with the club's goings on.

Page two, the article entitled Whoosh".

https://www.corvair.org/chapters/lvcc/lvcc_newsletters/lvcc_2019_11_fifth_wheel.pdf

• Haha 2

One issue with getting a new tank with the filler neck attached is "shipping" and "cost".  "Shipping" as it makes for a bigger package to worry about receiving undamaged, even just banging around in the box unrestrained.  "Cost" as to the bigger/oversize shipping designation.

I suspect all of the A-body tanks in that general year are really the same tank, but the filler neck defines the vehicle it goes into.

I suspect the correct "attaching operation" is "brazing" or "soldering" the new neck to the tank.  Not "welding", in the normal sense of the word like two pieces of sheet metal.  Anything done would need to be done at a lower temperature to prevent or minimize vapors from the galvanizing of the metal.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

On the way to Florida during a family trip in 1968, my father was driving our '64 Grand Prix when we heard a BANG!.  A few seconds later I recall my father looking in the rear view mirror and saying something like "oh-oh".  I looked out the back window and saw a trail of liquid behind us.  My father pulled over and used a screwdriver to jam a rag as tightly as possible into a puncture in the gas tank caused when one of the rear tires clipped a small scrap of steel on the road shooting it at the gas tank.  We made it to the next town where there was a family-owned repair garage.  The owner let my father borrow his Dodge pickup to take my mother, sister, brother and me to a diner down the street while he returned to help with the repair.  My father said that they removed the tank, drained the remaining gas, then flipped the tank upside-down on the ground and filled it with water.  The shop owner then welded a patch over the puncture.  Within two hours we were back on the road.  I still remember driving on Daytona Beach...

I forgot to mention that this happened somewhere in southern Georgia.  I don't know exactly where, but weren't traveling on I-95...  ;)