How hard is it to get parts for a Dodge Victory Six?

Hello everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a 1928 Dodge Victory Six, but I’m wondering how good parts availability is on these? I wouldn’t want to buy it if parts were unobtainable. Thanks for any info you can give me! 

1 hour ago, Matt129 said:

Hello everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a 1928 Dodge Victory Six, but I’m wondering how good parts availability is on these? I wouldn’t want to buy it if parts were unobtainable. Thanks for any info you can give me! 

There are quite a few items available for that car. The guys in the Dodge and Dodge Brothers section of this forum can tell you more. Got any photos of the car to share?

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

There are quite a few items available for that car. The guys in the Dodge and Dodge Brothers section of this forum can tell you more. Got any photos of the car to share?

Here’s a photo:

A4901D5E-D4F7-42B7-8CA3-BF7BCD87311E.jpeg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Matt129 said:

Here’s a photo:

A4901D5E-D4F7-42B7-8CA3-BF7BCD87311E.jpeg

The Victory Six is very good car.  My late father owned one identical to the one you have pictured for years and it was driven about 30,000 miles during his ownership.  The car was driven all over the southeast and on one long trip from Atlanta to Virginia Beach.  I put a number of miles on the car.  It was very comfortable at 45-50 miles an hour .  I know one time I had the car out on the interstate and clocked it with a stopwatch running 55 mph for miles, however, the gearing is a bit high and its not a good idea to run one like that forever.  An overdrive would be a nice accessory. 

Parts are kind of a mixed bag.  There are more reproduction items available for these cars than when my father bought his car (early 70's) .  We found a lot of small stuff at Hershey and he found a spare engine, transmission, and rear axle in Hemmings. Biggest deficiencies with these cars are the potmetal distributor, and potmetal starter and generator endplates.  Also the door handles are potmetal.  I believe replacements for all of these items are available today.  Most of the Victory and Standard Sixes have potmetal carburetors but the car my father owned had a cast iron carburetor.  It had no marking and we never found another one like it.  It was undoubtedly the original carb and we knew the history of the car from new.  Our experience was that parts were out there but you had to do some digging to find them.  The internet should make searching for parts and information for these cars a lot easier.  

Alan 

• Like 3

The Standard Six and Victory Six came factory equipped with either a Stromberg zinc alloy (TX-2 superseded by UX-2) and a Stewart (Division of Detroit Lubricator) brass carburetor, with a cast iron throttle body.

Because of the fragility of the zinc alloy units and the desire to replace them, the Stewart units virtually disappeared 30 years ago. I knew I had one, but hadn't seen it in probably 30 years. Found it the other day when we sold a bunch of Detroit Lubricator stuff.

Like the other Dodge Stewart carburetors, identification is on the bowl cover.

Jon

• Like 4

Got any pictures of the engine. Curious if it is a DA6 engine. A complete engine rebuild can be quite expensive depending on the condition of the block. My DA6 block was in very bad shape. My complete rebuild engine cost $8000.

I was fortunate to have the Steward carb. A great carb.

20 hours ago, stakeside said:

Got any pictures of the engine. Curious if it is a DA6 engine. A complete engine rebuild can be quite expensive depending on the condition of the block. My DA6 block was in very bad shape. My complete rebuild engine cost $8000.

I was fortunate to have the Steward carb. A great carb.

8K to rebuild an engine is a good bit of money but not out of line.  It is not hard to spend 8K plus rebuilding a Model T Ford engine and transmission.   Any kind of specialized machine work is expensive.  

Alan 

• Like 1

I believe I owned that car many years ago. I sold it to a fellow that lived out west.  There was less than 12,000 miles on it when I sold it.  As least it was a 28 Dodge with that color scheme. 

Having restored several antique cars of various makes and models, I have learned that most parts for any car or truck is limited to a single purchase.

And, say it is for a carburetor float or a model specific light, the search for a replacement ends when the needed object is found. I.e., it really doesn’t matter if the objects are literally falling from the tables at Hershey, or only a single one remains in all of everywhere, so long as you find that one, you are good.

Many of the parts, such as gaskets, bearings, seals, covering and upholstery materials is generic, and available at many merchants on eBay and Amazon.

The needy articles, such as tires, windshield and side glass and nice to have knobs and handles can be fabricated of found after some amount of searching.

And, a immense part of restoring these old machines, in my stead, is the search, acquisition and finally owning the harder to find stuff.

Again…….owning my old machines is the 97% pleasure of working on them, .02% pleasure of looking at them and the .01% pleasure of actually driving them.

Perhaps it is the journey, and not the destination, which determines the real value of our old cars.

All that said……if a Dodge DA-6 talks to you, in a language you like to hear, get it and make its restoration a work of love and not a labor of necessity.

Jack

• Thanks 1

Join a marque club and meet other owners, especially the older guys who have been chasing your car of choice for the past 30 or more years.  There are always a few of those owners who have a considerable stash including used drivetrain and suspension parts plus accumulated overhaul and trim parts.  One stop shopping with one of those owners will make your project considerably easier and you’ll probably get some very valuable advice with your purchases.  Many of the long time owners are excited to help and see their parts live on in other vehicles.