1932 Plymouth PB 2 door convertible sedan BAT

One of the early active members of the Plymouth 4 cylinder Owners Club named Earl Buton had one that he drove everywhere. I believe that the 1932 DeSoto shared the same body as the Plymouth. A good friend had a DeSoto conv sedan and all major sheet metal, top irons etc seemed to be exactly the same. I also believe the body style is shown in both the Plymouth and DeSoto sales catalog for 1932, I have both so will take a look when I have the time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

This car would look 1 million times better with black tires and black wheels.

I was trying to decide but I think your right. Very nice looking vehicle but I think the WW's take the restoration beyond Plymouth territory. I also really like the looks with the top up. I'd have a hard time driving it with the top down. 

I like white walls on cars ,not all but some. The big factor that also plays into the appearance is the color of the wheels. White walls and if fitted with wire wheels a dark color or one that matches the body and hood color if that is dark. If the car has side mounted spare tire that is also a factor and those in my opinion should have tire covers, metal painted or canvas also in dark colors. Wheels with long narrow type spoke wheels call even more attention to the sphere shape of the wheel/tire. Short wood spoke wheels of the 1931 - 1934 era can look great if painted or finished in natural color, tires depend upon the diameter of the wheels . For me there is no general overall "rule" that white or black tire will just be the best no matter what year or make or tire size.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I like white walls on cars ,not all but some. The big factor that also plays into the appearance is the color of the wheels. White walls and if fitted with wire wheels a dark color or one that matches the body and hood color if that is dark. If the car has side mounted spare tire that is also a factor and those in my opinion should have tire covers, metal painted or canvas also in dark colors. Wheels with long narrow type spoke wheels call even more attention to the sphere shape of the wheel/tire. Short wood spoke wheels of the 1931 - 1934 era can look great if painted or finished in natural color, tires depend upon the diameter of the wheels . For me there is no general overall "rule" that white or black tire will just be the best no matter what year or make or tire size.

You are of course correct Walt.   I would also point out that the chances of finding a Plymouth in period with white wall tires is close to nil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I would also point out that the chances of finding a Plymouth in period with white wall tires is close to nil.

I completely agree, but the advertising that was done for the 1931-32 Plymouth especially in the large color ads in the Saturday Evening Post showed most of the cars with white walls. WHY ?? - It sold cars, got people into the showroom to look. Same reason a lot of the cars in magazine ads were in bright colors - to attract attention - same way if a car was in a showroom - usually an open roadster in bright colors, it was the WOW factor. But people at that time were very very conservative and the  economic situation in the world did not see a lot of people wanting to attract attention to themselves and their new car because a huge amount of people didn't have enough $ for one good meal a day.

• Like 3

Pulled one of these out from under many years of ivy growth in a backyard in Stanton, CA some 20(?) years ago.  What a day that was.  It was worth the effort though.  I passed it on to a Canadian who did a deserved major restoration of the car.  '32 PBs are Plymouth's highest development of that solid 4 cylinder motor and are truly handsome!  

(Had I done the car, it definitely would have had blackwalls.)

Rear ViewB.jpg

Backyard2.jpg

32-plymouth-pb-dv-18-sj-02-800.jpg.7ac5ddd968250fe3330356e922b8b23a.jpg

• Like 8

Pretty neat Plymouth!  I would go with one or the other: black wall tires and the cream/yellow wheels or wide whites with black painted wheels.  As it is now looks okay but sooner or later I would make the change!

• Like 3

Iirc, Briggs was the body maker for these Mopar two-door convertible sedans that were catalogued 1932-'33 though Dodge offered them only for 1932.  There was another choice to have this body style but not on a Mopar chassis: Rockne, 1932 Model 65 and 75 and 1933 Model 10.  The only visible difference was Briggs hinged the doors at the front whereas the Mopar applications were rear hinged.

'32 Rockne.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

Pulled one of these out from under many years of ivy growth in a backyard in Stanton, CA some 20(?) years ago.  What a day that was.  It was worth the effort though.  I passed it on to a Canadian who did a deserved major restoration of the car.  '32 PBs are Plymouth's highest development of that solid 4 cylinder motor and are truly handsome!  

(Had I done the car, it definitely would have had blackwalls.)

Rear ViewB.jpg

Backyard2.jpg

32-plymouth-pb-dv-18-sj-02-800.jpg.7ac5ddd968250fe3330356e922b8b23a.jpg

Really nice! If you are looking for a pre-war 4 cylinder, the PB Plymouth is the top of the heap! It has features the Model A crowd pays big money to add to their engines: Counterweighted crank and pressure oiling. Plus, being a ’32 Chrysler product, it has “floating power” (the smoothness of a 6 with the economy of a 4) and hydraulic brakes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Stanton, CA car has made it's way back down to the states. Wally and Sharron Taylor (RIP) started the restoration, and Sheila and Kem Jones had it completed by Ken Hindley in Union, ON. I purchased the car, and brought it back to IN in Oct 2022.

The '32 DeSoto was in fact the same body (Survivor car shown here in red).

thumbnail_IMG_8024.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4777.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Iirc, Briggs was the body maker for these Mopar two-door convertible sedans that were catalogued 1932-'33 though Dodge offered them only for 1932.  There was another choice to have this body style but not on a Mopar chassis: Rockne, 1932 Model 65 and 75 and 1933 Model 10.  The only visible difference was Briggs hinged the doors at the front whereas the Mopar applications were rear hinged.

'32 Rockne.jpg

20 hours ago, deac said:

I wonder what they used for tire shine back then.  Those tires sure look shinny to me...

That's NOT tire shine ! NO, don't you see the pride in the husband's eyes ?  The tires are shinny because the TIRE BLACK is still wet where he painted over those GARRISH white walls !! Certainly you noticed the stern look on the wife's face ? She is carefully examining the tires to ensure Zero whitewall is showing. 

• Haha 2