All help gratefully received in the UK

Hello Everyone,

I have recently become the proud owner of a 1934 RHD Buick in the UK. The previous owner didn't know if it is a series 40 or 50 so your views on how to confirm would be great. It also suffers from cutting out due to an intermittent fuel issue of pointers on that would be ideal, I have not seen a vacuum system before. Lastly where is a good place to get parts? Happy to get them shipped over to help get the car in good useable shape for the Summer.

Thanks,

Scott

inbound4333889040396967402.jpg

inbound2737418288097007683.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome.   The fuel issue could be vapor lock or a weak fuel pump or a crap in the tank.  Start a stand alone thread and describe the problem as best you can.  Post pictures of the fuel pump and the carburetor.

Thanks both, I will take a couple of photos & start a new thread. Looking forward to getting the engine running happily so I can enjoy the car on the roads. 

K@Scott B welcome to this forum group. Looks like a great car!  I recommend you start a second thread in the Pre-War area to ask about the car. The prewar guys are very knowledgeable and helpful.  Since your car has an updraft carb I think it should have a vacuum fuel canister but I don't know if that is a fact. If so, I dont see the vacuum cannister.  And unless someone put an electric fuel pump in there, this may be the reason it is cutting out. 

Thank you. Very happy with it, going to have lots of fun. It was on the road but am going to work my way through a recommissioning process just in case. I will need to see what is going on with the sun roof as it has leaked badly & soaked the headlining / upholstery.

Should be great fun giving it the care & attention it deserves!

One vulnerability of these cars is that of the steel tubes in the cast iron heat riser between the carb and the intake manifold.  If these twin tubes (2-barrel carb) are rusted through, exhaust gases will enter and contaminate the fuel mixture, affording disappointing to abysmal performance depending on the severity of the leak.  As part of your recommissioning process, I suggest you remove and carefully inspect.  New tubes can be fabricated from stainless and pressed in.

An excellent source for Buick parts is Bob's Automobilia in Atascadero, California.  In my opinion, the best gasket supplier is Olson's Gaskets in Washington State.  (Bob's may sell Olson's gaskets, and if so perhaps shipping would be less expensive ordering gaskets from Bob's.) I'd order a full set of gaskets now, so that you are not stalled waiting for individual gaskets to arrive.  If there is an opportunity to order an asbestos-center (between 2 pieces of copper) head gasket, even though more expensive, it would be well worth the added expense.  My experience is that old-stock asbestos-center gaskets need to be retorqued only once after installation and some initial runtime, but the plastic-center (since asbestos was removed from new manufacture) gaskets need multiple retorquings, as many as four or five, until they take a final set.

As to which series, the Series 40 was new for 1934 and had a downdraft carburetor, but Series 50, 60, and 90 (all unique engines of varying displacements) retained updraft cabs..  To be sure, please post a photo of the data plate affixed to the engine side of the firewall.  All Series 50 had 4.88 differential gears and there are no easy interchanges, so expect a 45 mph cruising speed.

Thank you Grimy, I am enjoying the education! Really kind of you.

UK cars of this period have a brass plate on the firewall but I haven't been able to see one on the Buick. Am I looking in the wrong place or is it missing? I don't seem anywhere where it looks like 1 has been removed. 20240308_171829.jpg.9abb8668441333949ee45f86972a9deb.jpg20240308_171924.jpg.a21ede6bae76ebc5290facc81dbbff69.jpg

As I recall, the data plate was originally behind that aftermarket oil filter on the right side of the firewall.  The original oil filter was a steel can throwaway mounted on the engine itself.  In time, unbolt the entire filter assembly and look behind the pad.

Happy to see that you still have the spark plug cover and its original thumbscrews--often missing.

Welcome to pre war Buicks

1934 series 40 117" wheel base

1934 series 50 119" wheel base

1934 series 60 128" wheel base

Image is from 2022

Clipboard03.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Such a simple way to check, thank you 1939_Buick, I will check in the morning & thank you for the welcome.

The paint work looks slightly better in the photo! I hadn't seen this 1 before. It is flaking off on most panels now sadly. 

Would love to start to try a understand the cars story. Do you think it could have been built in Canada as a RHD & then shipped to the UK at a later date rather than shipped over when new?

If built in Canada RHD would have exported immediately, as Canada is LHD.  RHD Buicks from Canada and Flint, MI, USA were exported to various countries.  In Australia locally built bodies were installed in imported chassis.

Could have been imported to UK any time. in the last ~90 years from anywhere.  Depending on the rate of exchange cars move/sell from one country to another. Cars from South Africa are not uncommon (in Australia) due that countries financial problems over the last ~20 years. 

Can the old rego plate history be investigated?  Or a period plate onto the car later?

Buick's were sold new in UK.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lendrum_%26_Hartman

By 1927 the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders announced that it had achieved 27,949 – the highest number of US imported cars to the UK. Confident that the business was developing well in the hands of Hartman, Lendrum took on the role of silent partner and resigned in 1931. The following year the company became Buick, Cadillac, and La Salle Concessionaires. The number of cars sold in 1932 was 150, by 1938 it would reach 2,000; the upper classes were now considering American cars as a credible alternative to Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Daimler [5]

The 1920s and 1930s was a period of rapid growth for Lendrum & Hartman. Captain Hartman, (using his assumed war-time rank) was a consummate salesman and went out of his way to cultivate American executives like James D. Mooney, president of General Motors Overseas, and General Motors president Alfred P. Sloan. Hartman used the 1924 British Empire Exhibition at Wembley Park, officially opened by H.M. King George V, for social and business networking. General Motors of Canada Limited took the largest space in the Canadian Pavilion receiving a visit from the Prince of Wales. It was the largest exhibition ever staged anywhere in the world and had attracted twenty-seven million visitors.
By the early 1930s, the Buick brand in the UK had generally become accepted as representing one of the finest examples of transatlantic design in the field of medium-priced cars. The models exported to the UK came from Canada and were badged as McLaughlin Buicks for the British market and classified as being Empire-built.

Some info, but not the most helpful or respectful posts. Some_most of the notable Buick historians who posted have passed away.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/159231-buick-built-in-london-uk/

• Like 1

1934 Buicks for domestic (US) sales:

40 series would have a downdraft duplex (2 barrel) carb, either Stromberg or Marvel

50 series would have an updraft duplex (2 barrel) carb, made by Marvel

50 series would have a pressure fuel pump, A.C. number 1521538.

How much of the above is applicable to export, I do not know

Fuel pump rebuilding kits, if needed, may be acquired from "Then and Now Automotive" in South Weymouth, MA. Tom will want to know the number (generally 4 or 5, but sometimes all 7 digits) stamped on the edge of the mounting flange.

Carburetor rebuilding kits, if needed, may be acquired from "The Carburetor Shop" in Eldon, Missouri. The TINY 10-???? number stamped on the UNDERSIDE of the carburetor is required.

QUOTE: "It also suffers from cutting out due to an intermittent fuel issue" END QUOTE

If in fact there is a pressure pump, the "intermittent fuel issue" may be ignition rather than fuel.

I apologize for the quality of the picture; I do not have an easy way to convert PDF files to a format that this forum likes. The only easy way is to snap a picture with the cell phone, which can easily be converted. The picture is high resolution, so it may be downloaded in a format your computer likes.

Jon

1934_Buick.jpg

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Jon!

The pump has AC on the base but a different number 855288, does that make any sense?

Sadly the vin/chassis plate seems to have been removed when a filter was fitted so they could use the holes in the firewall. Such a shame it wasn't left in place.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

The wheel base coming up at 118 but think that must be my dodgy English measuring & it is actually 119 confirming a 50.

I am trying to find out if the fuel pump (AC 855228) is original & if I can track down a refurb kit.

Thank you pont35cpe, at the moment it looks as though my car may have been built/assembled in the UK. In 33/34 these cars were modified to have dual side mounts & a sunroof. The pump is different from those I have seen on US built carbs, AC 855228.

Please excuse the photo being upside down! 20240309_141225.jpg.932cd84a70e7873368cd8e23219f54f9.jpg

The 1934 Series 50-60-90 had sidemounted spares as an option.

I strongly recommend you find a copy of the 1934 Buick 50-60-90 shop manual (does not include series 40), an official Buick publication that is very comprehensive.  I recommend paying a bit more to get an original rather than a reprint for optimal clarity of the many illustrations therein.

It is horrendous Larry! I am not surprised the previous owner had issues. The plan is to drop & flush out the tank, fuel lines, pump & carb. In essence reset the system. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scott B said:

Thank you pont35cpe, at the moment it looks as though my car may have been built/assembled in the UK. In 33/34 these cars were modified to have dual side mounts & a sunroof. The pump is different from those I have seen on US built carbs, AC 855228.

Please excuse the photo being upside down!

USA GM cars of this era a fabric roof insert.  Not a "sun roof".  Other images on this car I have show what looks to me to be the normal GM fabric insert. Not unusual for the fabric to be replaced by steel~aluminium sheet some time. Or does it really have an operable UK style sun roof?

1936 was the first year of all metal roof.

Have doubts on built/assembled in the UK.  More likely fully imported.

In the last ~90 years any AC fuel pump that fitted could/would have been installed when the original failed, as they all do eventually.  The rocker arm of the "new" fuel pump may be different to the original.

USA cars in UK of this era often have different front lighting, due to local laws.  As the small side fender(~wing) lights.

• Like 1

Thank you so much & you are correct, fabric rather than metal.

I really appreciate your patience with my lack of knowledge & am enjoying learning about Buicks of this period though trying to understand the history of JL 1730.

• Like 1