Fuel issues on a 1934 Series 50

Hello Everyone,

I have recently become the proud owner of a 1934 RHD Series 50 (the previous owner wasn't sure) in the UK.

The previous owner said that it has an intermittent fuel issue causing it to cut out so keen to resolve so I can enjoy the car.

I have never seen a vacuum system before & there isn't any local knowledge here so reaching out to yourselves for guidance on this issue & we're to source parts from in general.20240308_122003.jpg.1c7e11ffe829c630c46a4043fe5a5dac.jpg20240308_122120.jpg.598e14322b2709f9d19740756c7db030.jpg

Your car does not have a vacuum fuel pump.  It has a mechanical diaphragm pump driven off the cam shaft.  Follow the fuel line from the carburetor to locate the fuel pump.  Disconnect it from the carburetor, place the rubber hose in a container, and crank the engine with the ignition off to see if it is working.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Your car does not have a vacuum fuel pump.  It has a mechanical diaphragm pump driven off the cam shaft.  Follow the fuel line from the carburetor to locate the fuel pump.  Disconnect it from the carburetor, place the rubber hose in a container, and crank the engine with the ignition off to see if it is working.  

Yes indeed, the mechanical fuel pump is at the right rear of the engine.  That car does have vacuum-assisted brakes with a large canister underneath the car on the left side.  Leaks from the vacuum line leading from the rear of the intake manifold to the canister or from its internal diaphragm will cause an excessively lean condition.

• Like 1

Guys, big thank you to both of you! Really helpful. I will start with taking the pipe off & cranking & then work my way through the filter & carb. 

Does the set up look original? I am assuming this is a series 50 but not sure?20240308_122146.jpg.9b72d19a725de76cceb6afa6ff739a6a.jpg

You should have a tag on the firewall. But yes, the engine looks 50 series. Higher models have a pipe on top of the engine for the top radiator connection. 

1934 series 40 117" wheel base

1934 series 50 119" wheel base

1934 series 60 128" wheel base

The other thread https://forums.aaca.org/topic/412378-all-help-gratefully-received-in-the-uk/#comment-2654681

Image is from 2022.  Was a time when those colors were popular. When made 90%sure were only 1 color.

If new in UK in 1934 possible was ex Canada McLaughlin Buick

Clipboard03.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Agreed Larry! Full fuel system clean out before it goes any where near a road. The sunroof has been leaking so am removing the seats this weekend, cleaning off mould & starting to dry everything out.

In the last ~90 years any AC fuel pump that fitted could/would have been installed when the original failed, as they all do eventually.  The rocker arm of the "new" fuel pump may be different to the original.

AC fuel pump images (from internet).  Not model specific

fuel_pump184.jpg

fuel_pump185.jpg

fuel_pump188.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1939_Buick said:

In the last ~90 years any AC fuel pump that fitted could/would have been installed when the original failed, as they all do eventually.  The rocker arm of the "new" fuel pump may be different to the original.

And that may well be the cause of inadequate fuel supply....