Headliner Colour for black interior?

RivieraRuss

Any idea what the most common headliner colour would be for a black interior in a 65 Riviera?  

I currently have a full set of headliner, sail panels and visors (white - RHW, from Clark’s) but I am wondering if I should switch to silver (RHZ)?

Russ

My '65 had what had to be, considering its condition in'93, the original black headliner w black custom interior. I replaced it w a black one from Clarks without researching enough. It looks great, of course, but now I wish I had the silver. WAAA!

• Thanks 1

If someone has a 65 salesman’s book (I gave mine to the guy I sold my 65 Gran Sport to) you can look up how certain color interiors were finished based on the color of the seats.  It will tell you the color of the door panels, carpeting, dash pad, console. package tray, steering wheel, and HEADLINER. 😁

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:42 AM, RIVNIK said:

My '65 had what had to be, considering its condition in'93, the original black headliner w black custom interior. I replaced it w a black one from Clarks without researching enough. It looks great, of course, but now I wish I had the silver. WAAA!

In 1994 I ordered a black headliner from Clark's for my '64 with a black interior because I didn't like the silver one. And I had researched it.

• Thanks 1

My car has the dark green deluxe interior and these were built with a light mint green headliner

and sun visors. The original headliner and visors are still perfect and I sure hope they stay that way, because NOBODY offers that color headliner for the car.

DSC03638.JPG

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

My car has the dark green deluxe interior and these were built with a light mint green headliner

and sun visors. The original headliner and visors are still perfect and I sure hope they stay that way, because NOBODY offers that color headliner for the car.

Fortunately, this is not true.  I have the same green deluxe interior and had to recently replace the light green headliner.  I purchased the headliner last summer from SMS fabrics and it was identical to the original.  I didn’t even have to reupholster the original sun visors and sail panels as they were an exact match to the new headliner.

• Like 3

Wow that's good news.........I hadn't seen the material for sale anywhere. Do you know if it is NOS material

that is limited in quantity or if they tooled up to make new material? If they don't have much of it left perhaps I should buy some of it as a precaution

1 hour ago, abandg said:

I am also trying to get the seat cover done. I had them made a few tears ago and like many projects they die before they begin. I also have a few other items re chromed. Gene.

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg

IMG_0580-2.jpeg

IMG_9272.jpeg

What do you have, rechromed, in the way of 1st generation arm rest extensions for switches for p/s, p/w, and p/ vents?  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 11:21 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Wow that's good news.........I hadn't seen the material for sale anywhere. Do you know if it is NOS material

that is limited in quantity or if they tooled up to make new material? If they don't have much of it left perhaps I should buy some of it as a precaution

I’m not sure if the material is NOS original or a reproduction.  I asked SMS and they were very guarded about giving a direct answer to that question.  If it’s reproduced material, they nailed it!  Otherwise, I would have not reinstalled the original sun visors and sail panels.  My guess is that the material is a reproduction; the back of the material was a crisp white whereas I would have expected an aged tannish-white appearance from NOS material that’s approaching 60 years old.

11 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Did you have to have the headliner sewn up or did they sell it to you ready to install?

They sold it to me ready to install….and it was correct.  The upholstery shop had no problems at all installing it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 8:29 AM, Greaseball said:

asked SMS and they were very guarded about giving a direct answer to that question.  If

SMS have the goods. However, they want you blindfolded when  you put in an order. From my point of view Id mask the dickens out the interior treat the material and match the color with fabric dye. Always more than one way to do a job and get it right, maybe. 🙂

TO ALL.

Most ALL of these headliners start out white & are dyed/sprayed the color of your choice when ordered.

On a hidden part of the headliner clean off the top layer & you will see White underneath.

Just a FYI.

Tom T.