World's most expensive '48 Oldsmobile $60K Reduced! Now $49K OBO

Steve McQueen's '70 911 sold for about $1.2 million over a typical price, but that car was in a movie and had it's original specifications were carefully preserved. The first thing I would wonder about this car is: Is this THAT Steve McQueen?  He died in November of 1980 in Mexico. This car is in the L.A. area but the ad is in Las Vegas...seems right because you'd really be taking a chance....

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/cypress-1948-oldsmobile-98-steve/7719068181.html

yes its steve mcqueens 1948 olds 98 2door club sedan. straight 8 4speed hydro.65,000org miles.i bought it in the70s..all org but changed to 12 volts..took off trim to paint..recromed bumpers and grill.near new tires,brakes,radio,wipers, lites all work.try to run it twice a mo. seats door panels.in one of my bedrooms like new..car will need paint, and install new chrome. at age 80 and in bad health won,t be able to finish...looking for cash please no games...yes i have org steve mcqueen pink slip..$60,000. ....runs, drives like a new car......have skirts and rocker chrome strips..

email:   217bcf338b593bc2838704c9c9dc6068@sale.craigslist.org

1948 oldsmobile 98 steve mcqueens 100V0V_88Nr0AJTPGi_0CI0lL_600x450.jpg00S0S_k41Zvf6i4RW_0CI0lL_600x450.jpg00000_9PBtwMhlHCQ_0CI0lL_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_ffDeysaTJUu_0CI0lL_600x450.jpg00T0T_18VA8z3bGgK_0CI0lL_600x450.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
price change (see edit history)

Love the style of this car. Sure would be a beauty when finished, but it is not. Much was said in a previous post relating to the value that is added to a car that was previously owned by a celebrity. I have been a big fan of Steve McQueen, but I believe that many folks out there do not know who he was. The ultimate car guy starring in Bullitt and a race car driver that is well known. If anyone is unfamiliar with him I would encourage them to do a search of all his accomplishments on Wikipedia. GLWTS

• Like 3

If this was just another old car sitting in Joe Blow's garage down the street or over on the other side of town and had no Steve McQueen connection,  it would be maybe a $6K-$8K car. I can't see paying an extra $50K for it just for the provenance. Hey, the car's already in Vegas, try getting Rick Harrison from the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop to come over and take a look at it. Or maybe they tried that already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

There are guys out there who carry cheap guitars around to concerts, somehow get backstage, and get them autographed by rock stars in hopes of selling for big dollars. More often than not, they are disappointed when that $300 guitar doesn't fetch $2000. 

• Like 1

Celebrity ownership means little most of the to me. However Steve McQueen stuff does seem to get a premium, at least in the motorcycle world. I would have to have a bit more proof of ownership than a photocopied titled. May very well have been owned by him but needs a bit more provenance to have value.

Not a fan of this famous old ownership BS.  If the was a driver in decent and drivable condition then maybe you could get a premium on the price; but this one is not that.  It's another old car with a fledgling star owner in it's past!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• Leif in Calif changed the title to World's most expensive '48 Oldsmobile $60K Reduced! Now $49K OBO

Here's the new CL ad...seems like reality is setting in....

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/cypress-1948-oldsmobile-silhouette/7736318373.html

Offered to the first take. Please visit the ebay listing for more information.
Willing to sale to an offer today!  email: 9c05d755a23d358f92c99fc029f4acdb@sale.craigslist.org

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156156111251

00u0u_3sq7BHDMpwM_0CI0lN_600x450.jpg00S0S_kEsxsjRzGWP_0CI0lN_600x450.jpg01212_hp8Q5RDXdSI_0CI0lN_600x450.jpg