Turbinator Nails It-Again

Riviera63

I am writing this to bring attention to the fine work that the "Turbinator" does in reclaiming wayward turbine wheel covers from the scrap heap.

Last spring I purchased a set of 4 turbine wheel covers for my 1963. One of the cover's condition was severely misrepresented by the seller and it was not able to be used on my car. I had a spare cover that I was able to get into the condition where I could use it in place of this bad cover. Rather than banish this cover to a shelf never to be seen again I decided to send it to my good friend Bob "Turbinator" Burnopp to see if he could work his magic to save this cover. 

You can see in the first 3 pictures an example of the poor condition it was in. It was severely pitted and stained. Truthfully, I did not hold out much hope of it being brought back to a condition where it could be used on my car. I was wrong. I received the cover back from Bob and was amazed at the transformation. I had to do some finishing sanding and polishing but, the heavy lifting and hard work was done by Bob. 

This cover will be going on my car in the spring when it comes out of hibernation. You can see from the rest of the pictures how nice it looks now. 

If you need turbines or have turbines that need reconditioning you can rest assured that Bob will do right by you. Thank you Bob!

Bill

IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9788.JPG

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

• Like 9

👍🛠️

On 2/15/2024 at 8:24 AM, Riviera63 said:

was severely pitted and stained.

Bill, thank you for your compliments and support of my work. I appreciate your remarks. Thank you goes to the gents that gave the thumps up on the topic.

I find there are many ways to do a job. Once we figure out how to achieve the desired result we can try to improve with new and better ways to get the shine we want. Im surprised how large the metal finishing industry is. Its amazing the information researchers, scientists, and engineers offer on how to achieve a metal finish you need for your application.

Later Gator

Turbinator

current work in progress

741E8733-EC3F-40F4-9A11-8E3E5A623D8D.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dr914 said:

I love my turbines!

I've had my Riviera for 43 years. It had wire hubcaps.

I learned of Turbine Covers when I joined this Chat group around 2016.

I also learned about the 1965 Riviera GS through this Chat.

I seen Tirbine Covers for the 1st time last month on a project car.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat Curran guided me to Turbines 5-6 years ago. I was looking for something to replace my wire wheel covers on my 63. Since I found cleaning, TIG weld repair, polishing, painting, and powder coating quite interesting learning sessions. Surprise to me the number of articles written on metal finishing. I even found a “

Glossometer” that measures the shine reflection and indicates the grade of the shine. Amazing. Thanks again goes to another ROA in “the know”, Pat Curran, for showing another facet of the first gen Riviera.

Later Gator

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been collecting wire caps for a ridiculously long time.  Swap meets, trading, trunks of old heaps, where ever. I clean 'em up and make beautiful matched sets. That said I never really had an opportunity to even find the Turbine caps. I have like 3 sets, 2 on cars.  Bottom line?  As much as loved the wire caps these things , when sparkling just make a 63 and 64 super-pop. I especially like the black painted  64 units.  Mitch

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 12:18 AM, lrlforfun said:

That said I never really had an opportunity to even find the Turbine caps

Mitch, I sent this one and another like it for a more than fair price. I knew the gent wanted a very good job. I supplied original studs for a 6” wide wheel as youll notice these are 63 color config with original 63 studs. So, removed the 63 studs at no charge and inc. original studs for 6” wide wheels. The gent did not complain, but asked if I knew how to finish brighter.

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

After I posted my last question, I remembered where I’d seen some and found a couple of pictures.

Larry Daisy built this car. I think I know where is now, but I’m not sure so I’ll sit on it.

IMG_1860.jpeg.1667364c65e7ae96e785ff613b7aab1f.jpeg

As a complement to the car, he also built this trailer

IMG_1861.jpeg.6b378a6fbf99840db14f8033ab025cf0.jpeg

Steve Lorenzen now owns Larry’s car and trailer.  He’s going to do a comparison to see if Larry’s trailer and Lou’s trailer are different trailers.  Lou’s build is documented. If you’re interested, Google “Lou Adzima Sun car and trailer.”  Steve has build information from Larry’s wife.

16 hours ago, dr914 said:

those turbines are wall art

Yes Sir, wall art. In addition the Turbines are automotive industrial art you can drive. Gene Guarnere sold the first set of turbines I ever owned. I cleaned them up, polished and buffed and sold for a profit. ( had I factored in minimum wage I would have lost money ! Ha!)

On 2/16/2024 at 11:26 AM, XframeFX said:

I've had my Riviera for 43 years. It had wire hubcaps.

I learned of Turbine Covers when I joined this Chat group around 2016.

I also learned about the 1965 Riviera GS through this Chat.

I seen Tirbine Covers for the 1st time last month on a project car.

I bought my ‘63 in 1982. It was equipped with the Cast Aluminum (turbine) Wheel covers as delivered and supported by the original window sticker.  I drove it that way for a while but got tired of looking at the big chunks that had been taken out of a couple of the covers by some tire jockey who thought they could be pried off like a typical wheel cover.  In the mid 80s, I could not find any replacement cast covers so I put some rally wheels on the car.  As time passed, I’ve collected a few more cast covers but since I retired the car many years ago, the cast covers are in boxes on the shelf and the car still has the rally wheels on it. Should I ever get around to restoring the ‘63, it will definitely have the Cast Aluminum covers on it along with period correct white sidewall tires.  

• Like 1

Ed: I see your 63 is black with a white interior. I had a 63 with that color (in 1973) and it had Turbines.  I think the 64 style on your unit with the black inserts all shined up like Bob does makes it REALLY  pop !!  I'm putting a set on my burgundy/white interior 64.   Mitch

• Like 1

I like the 1964 turbines the best.  The black painted areas between the vanes really make the vanes stand out.  I had them on my 1964 Diplomat Blue with white custom interior for the 24 years that I owned the car.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

We will have to wait on that. Right now I have a shell of a body on thr frame.  Nothing that would work.  
Thanks, Ed

Hey Ed, I know this isn't your car and wheels are distorted ( wrong perspective)but It gives you an idea of what it would like with the hub caps painted the color of your car.

64 rivi.jpg

• Like 3

I’d like to add putting color on your turbines with paint advantage is coverage only has to be applied once. If you mess up, well …..

The advantage powder coating has is the finish is hard as steel. The disadvantage is the turbine should be outgassed to get the contaminants out of the metal. This outgass treatment adds a minimum of 4 hours per set. If the cast aluminum is not outgassed clean your powder coat finish screams “ Do over.” Matching the powder color of your vanes and webs with your car aged paint for some is impossible.

Ive seen truly impressive powder coat chrome look just like polished aluminum. I might had eight coats of material in and out of the curing oven makes for a lot of work.

On 3/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, LarryDolphins said:

Hey Ed, I know this isn't your car and wheels are distorted ( wrong perspective)but It gives you an idea of what it would like with the hub caps painted the color of your car.

64 rivi.jpg

Larry,

Thanks for doing this.  Lets me know that this is not for me.  Good work Takes some know how.

Ed 

• Like 1