1938 Packard 120 convertible, not mine.

Looks like an overpriced parts car to me.

I'm not that up on Packard values, but I'm guessing a nice 120, even in this body style, doesn't go for a gazillion dollars.

Which is what restoring this thing would cost.

Don't know if the top bows are complete, these picture show some of it is present.

If I am correct 1938 is the first year Packard bodies were steel structurally.

For the right price ( less then the asking price) this could be a fun bomb around convertible for someone ambitious to play with if they are not concerned about originality.

Parts sourced at swap meets / junkyards. Lots of work & time could get you an unusual minimalist bitchin ride for no more than a _____.   

Product photo of 1938 Packard  120Product photo of 1938 Packard  120Product photo of 1938 Packard  120

Never been a big fan of sidemounts on the juniors.  They sit too high imo and even the longer nosed 120 has a tough time carrying the look.

By contrast this same money or less will buy a complete rust free - actually perfect sheetmetal - but apart 40 110 convertible.  Marv King from Packard Industries is selling it, or was as of Hershey.  I think $10, 11k would do it.  Lots of parts in good shape and likely a lot of advice from an expert if one wanted it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rydersclassics said:

Don't know if the top bows are complete, these picture show some of it is present.

If I am correct 1938 is the first year Packard bodies were steel structurally.

For the right price ( less then the asking price) this could be a fun bomb around convertible for someone ambitious to play with if they are not concerned about originality.

Parts sourced at swap meets / junkyards. Lots of work & time could get you an unusual minimalist bitchin ride for no more than a _____.   

Product photo of 1938 Packard  120Product photo of 1938 Packard  120Product photo of 1938 Packard  120

I believe that the junior Packards came out in 1935 with steel bodies, the Senior cars transitioned later.  I have a 38 super 8 which was the last year for composite (wood) body construction on that model, my 39 Packard twelve was the last year of the twelve and the last year of composite hand made bodies at Packard and depending on who you talk to , perhaps the last in America , as far as non custom bodies are concerned

Edited by ramair
Additional information (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/13/2024 at 9:48 AM, theconvertibleguy said:

That looks like a 13k to buy, 40k (or more) to restore

Or maybe $140K or more to restore...

How many have used and abused this poor, poor baby Packard ?