Cars, Boats, and Trains! The "Royce G Kershaw Jr" Estate Collection. Montgomery AL

7th Son

• 7th Son changed the title to Cars, Boats, and Trains! The "Royce G Kershaw Jr" Estate Collection. Montgomery AL
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

WOW !

This guy had some cool stuff.

The cool stuff is long gone.........that family owned "The Mormon Meteor" and a bunch of other stuff. One family member has been a judge at Pebble Beach for years. I won't use names to keep peoples privacy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I want the big train, maybe even the little one to set up and run around my property!

That Baldwin is sweet indeed….. however, speaking from experience…. Even the cost of a top tier antique automobile pales significantly in comparison to the vast quantities of cash and treasure a locomotive rebuild can consume… sigh… but I love them so!

The grid lines on the boiler and dome are a guide for the Ultrasonic thickness testing to determine wastage of the shell, firebox sheets and back head. Before a buyer plunks down their hard earned cash, they might want to get a copy of that survey.

IMG_0247.jpeg.210030c937500e26e05ad3196a473a29.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg.ec85af21f6e6ca4e5af0c687c72c7e56.jpeg

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vintage1 said:

I would like to know what that vehicle is behind that green car in the original post.

"1962 Executive Cruiser"

The link in the OP can access the auction catalog which lists all the items

tJFF171ZXX-OxBXzfedgcfaS.jpeg

8 hours ago, vintage1 said:

I would like to know what that vehicle is behind that green car in the original post.

Are you referring to the blue one? Its similar to the gold van that is posted. Both are quite interesting.

11 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

That Baldwin is sweet indeed….. however, speaking from experience…. Even the cost of a top tier antique automobile pales significantly in comparison to the vast quantities of cash and treasure a locomotive rebuild can consume… sigh… but I love them so!

The grid lines on the boiler and dome are a guide for the Ultrasonic thickness testing to determine wastage of the shell, firebox sheets and back head. Before a buyer plunks down their hard earned cash, they might want to get a copy of that survey.

IMG_0247.jpeg.210030c937500e26e05ad3196a473a29.jpeg

IMG_0248.jpeg.ec85af21f6e6ca4e5af0c687c72c7e56.jpeg

Theres a fellow down the road from me that was big into toy train collecting. He bought a couple of box cars and outfitted the interiors to display his collection. When they moved them to his place he had to have some of the overhead power lines temp removed. That is dedication to a hobby! 

• Like 1

The last time I was in this building there were two guys in the front of the steam engine peening over new flu pipes with a big air driven hammer. YOU TALK ABOUT NOISE. The boiler had new end plates, not sure if the whole thing was replaced or not. At that time, it was a busy shop. I hope someone finishes this train and we all get to enjoy the smoke again. The building was huge, It had just about all the floor space covered with cars and his toys. 

• Like 1

I did a search on the owners and found they were big in the train track maintenance and repair business.  Some interesting family dynamics too in the search.  Nothing I would want in the collection but fun too look.

Terry, when I was there they were building three brand new open side passenger cars to look like old ones out of steel. They were going to go to the dock and get on the boat and go to somewhere in South America. If you look at all those pictures again you’ll see a train car metal frame with nothing on it. That could be one they were working on at the time of his passing. That one room in front of where the steam engine is was long enough to have three cars long and two wide. Here in PA there is a very active group of people who use those little maintenance cars on track excursions . Not that I need another hobby but it might be neat to own one of those just so you could play on all railroad tracks up here. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim Mead said:

G - 16. Miniature Train ?

I had one, foolishly sold it…..

Pictures?

Also not sure about the foolish part.

Rank these in order of bad ideas:

1.   Wooden boat restoration.

2.  Antique car restoration.

3.  16 gauge backyard railway.

4.   3rd wife 25 years younger than you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

It all depends on the depth of your pockets. If you can actually afford it, any or possibly even all of those things can be a great idea. What those people jump out of bed each day chomping at the bit to get on with. 

It's only a bad idea if you can't afford it. And therefore all the joy and purpose these pursuits can bring, instead bring something quite different into your life.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

That was the basic problem. Removing the loop plus one spur from the Zoo and reinstalling on my Farm. 
Great idea.  No time. The only thing is, if I had pulled the rails, stockpiled the whole thing and stored the Locomotive and cars for a decade I probably could have sold it for 6 times the money…….

I think wooden boats will always be number 1.  Full size steam locomotives and vintage aircraft fit in there somewhere…….

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 3:21 PM, alsancle said:

Pictures?

Also not sure about the foolish part.

Rank these in order of bad ideas:

1.   Wooden boat restoration.

2.  Antique car restoration.

3.  16 gauge backyard railway.

4.   3rd wife 25 years younger than you.

They all give a good ride!!!!

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)