spaces for Pre War Vendors and he 
has graciously provided an area.

This is not being promoted to the
general public so if you want folks
coming out - you have to spread 
the word for it to patronized.

Jim

IMG_9619.jpeg.f32e1d2d73a4981912404224b425553a.jpeg
Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have attended a previous Bakersfield swap meet and it was a great event.

I don't know if I will still be a Calif resident by the time this one comes around but it would be great to attend.

• Thanks 1

I have had good luck at the Bakersfield swap meet in the past, so I will definitely go.

Would like to take my car if I can find some new rag joints for a '23/24 Light Six Studebaker...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Studebuddy said:

I have had good luck at the Bakersfield swap meet in the past, so I will definitely go.

Would like to take my car if I can find some new rag joints for a '23/24 Light Six Studebaker...

Plenty of time to

Spread The Word 

Jim

Unless the Horseless Carriage Club of America is involved I doubt this will be much like the Bakersfield meet of the past. It's absolutely a nice touch that an area will be provided for pre war stuff, but otherwise I don't see any indication this meet will be any different from any other general car hobby meet.

2 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Unless the Horseless Carriage Club of America is involved I doubt this will be much like the Bakersfield meet of the past. It's absolutely a nice touch that an area will be provided for pre war stuff, but otherwise I don't see any indication this meet will be any different from any other general car hobby meet.

The local chapter of The HCCA

decided The Bakersfield Swap Meet

had run its course so they shut it

down - rather than allow others

to continue the event.

I heard that directly from one

of the members that had been

involved since the early years.

Having a pre war swap meet 

at a local established privately

owned business and having

a respected California

native manage it puts the

success or failure in the hands

of the Public where it belongs.

Jim

• Like 3

That's unfortunate. Hard to see how the event had "run its course". I expect it more of a case of the members of the local group getting up there in years and no longer able to get the person power together to run the event. Is the new event going to be advertised in the HCCA Gazette ? 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

That's unfortunate. Hard to see how the event had "run its course". I expect it more of a case of the members of the local group getting up there in years and no longer able to get the person power together to run the event. Is the new event going to be advertised in the HCCA Gazette ? 

The Bakersfield Swap Meet

had not run its course.

There was at least one person

who is long established and well 

respected in the Pre War Community 

that was in constant contact and

offered to assist and/or take over

the event but he was stonewalled.

The Bakersfield Swap meet never

” belonged “ to any car organization 

or club - it was successful because

the hobby supported it.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not to nit pick, but you seem to contradict yourself. How did the HCCA " local group " " shut it down ", and "stonewall " the well respected person if they did not own it ?

This link from 2019 states it is a joint venture of the HCCA and the Kern County Model T Ford club.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Model T club joined forces with the HCCA in relatively recent times and prior to that it was solely a HCCA event. Easy enough to look up as I have Gazettes going back to the 1950's and the Bakersfield event was always promoted in the Gazette.

It doesn't really matter, good on your friend for putting together the current event. 28th Annual Bakersfield Swap Meet 2019 – Model T Ford Fix

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I recall reading back in early 2020, the county took over the fairgrounds (Site of the swap meet.) for covid facilities and homeless housing. I thought this was the No. 1 reason for the demise of the Bakersfield Swap Meet. Someone needs to do some fact checking.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Not to nit pick, but you seem to contradict yourself. How did the HCCA " local group " " shut it down ", and "stonewall " the well respected person if they did not own it ?

This link from 2019 states it is a joint venture of the HCCA and the Kern County Model T Ford club.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Model T club joined forces with the HCCA in relatively recent times and prior to that it was solely a HCCA event. Easy enough to look up as I have Gazettes going back to the 1950's and the Bakersfield event was always promoted in the Gazette.

It doesn't really matter, good on your friend for putting together the current event. 28th Annual Bakersfield Swap Meet 2019 – Model T Ford Fix

The facts are as I have related them.

I promote the pre war hobby for

the good of the hobby.

I attended

over the years several times.

I live streamed and shared

videos to my 

YouTube channel - Facebook 

and social media at my own

personal expense.

I promoted and covered the

event when it moved up to

The Ag Center in 2022

leading up to the 

swap meet with unrestricted 

access to the facility.

Jim

37 minutes ago, AzBob said:

I recall reading back in early 2020, the county took over the fairgrounds (Site of the swap meet.) for covid facilities and homeless housing. I thought this was the No. 1 reason for the demise of the Bakersfield Swap Meet. Someone needs to do some fact checking.

When Covid hit - the fairgrounds 

were utilized for public immunization

and scheduled events

were postponed and/or canceled.

The Spring Pre War Swap Meet 

was one of those events.

The fairground event schedule

returned to normal before

The Spring Pre War Swap Meet.

I know this because I was in

communication with the 

director of the fairgrounds.

But that didn’t matter because

the decision had already been

made not to continue the event

before Covid hit.

Those are the facts.

Jim

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Shootey said:

How does this event compare to the Turlock swap meet?

It will be the first pre war swap

meet for this venue.

This been added to their 

Spring Drag Swap Meet

that attracts vendors and

customers from California 

and as far away as The Midwest.

Jim

Up here there was a swap meet that went on for decades run by the Ontario Region AACA chapter. When the Ontario chapter ran into parking issues they moved the event to a new location an hour away to another fair ground. The fair board from the old location revived the event at the original location and has done very well. Now there is two swap meets rather than the one.

One issue was the fair board used the same date causing a great deal of friction all around. AACA Ontario changed their date a month later mainly for wormer dryer weather.  Another thing that happened is the original location fair board used the original name for their swap meet Stirling named after the town it was in. So the yeas of advertising was given away causing a dump truck of confusion with attendees and everyone else. So the Stirling fair board started a new swap meet using the original date, name and location and ran with it.  Never name a swap meet after the location name unless you register the name so no one else can use it.  

The only issue Ontario region has now is trying to get volunteers as the membership is aging and declining.

Antique Automotive Flea Market (aacaontario.ca)

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, jdome said:

I'm getting conflicting vibes. I'm thinking of coming from Ohio.  Is this going to be the prewar/brass meet that was like the Bakersfield before  Covid ? 

7 minutes ago, jp1gt said:

I thought that all the good swap meets were in the east. I would be coming from SoCal and also would like to know more details so I do not waste a trip.

The Bakersfield Spring 

Prewar Swap Meet 

had a following that 

carried north to Tulare

where Jim Holguin 

organized another 

prewar swap meet 

to serve the interest

of the hobby.

Now he is continuing

down in McFarland at

The Famoso Dragstrip:

https://famosodragstrip.com

This venue is less than

30 miles from Bakersfield.

IMG_9672.jpeg.6557204a9a1f74acd8803e0fc2a3bb85.jpeg

did not become an overnight 

success - it took years to grow.

This event will require the same.

If folks don’t support real world

swap meets - they will end.

Like I said before - the success

or failure lies in the hands of

the hobby.

Jim

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

Arguing about who is organizing said meet does not really help anyone. People who plan to actually buy and people who  plan to actually sell need to decide whether whatever event is arranged is worth supporting. 

There is no “ Arguing “.

There are at least two guys

claiming credit and listing 

themselves as contacts 

who have NO association

with this event.

For folks to decide whether

to vend or attend to buy

the facts have to be known.

Jim

15 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I am curious , is this McFarland drag strip event replacing the Tulare event or is it in addition to it ? Tulare is a lot closer to where I live.

To my knowledge there are no

other current prewar swap meets

scheduled for Tulare and/or

Bakersfield, California.

Jim

Interesting. In all my years of going to swap meets and flea markets I’ve never given much thought to who was the man doing the organizing. I just worry as to whether what is advertised as being there lives up to the expectations and I actually come home with something 

• Like 6

Getting mixed signals here.  I really don't give a hoot as to who (whom?) is organizing the thing, would give it a fair shot either way.  HOWEVER, there is now a discrepancy between the original post/flyer with a May 4 date and the other ad listing May 4 and May 3.  Is the 3rd just a 'move in' date?  Which is it?  Kinda would like to know before I schlepp all the way up from San Diego with some cash in my pocket to troll for mid-30's Mopar stuff.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Getting mixed signals here.  I really don't give a hoot as to who (whom?) is organizing the thing, would give it a fair shot either way.  HOWEVER, there is now a discrepancy between the original post/flyer with a May 4 date and the other ad listing May 4 and May 3.  Is the 3rd just a 'move in' date?  Which is it?  Kinda would like to know before I schlepp all the way up from San Diego with some cash in my pocket to troll for mid-30's Mopar stuff.  

Yep!  Previously, Friday has been an active sales day and my preferred day to shop.  Saturday was for leftovers and bargains, and the meet was done by noon.

Does anyone have solid info on this year's meet?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grimy said:

@Trulyvintage do you know whether buyers are permitted access on the May 3 move-in day?  That is, I fully expect to pay admission through pedestrian access points.  Will pedestrian access points be available on move-in day?

My guess would be no.

Vendor to vendor sales

customarily take place 

while vendors are waiting 

in line to set up.

You would have to be 

registered as a vendor.

Any questions - call Jim

at the phone number provided

or call El Famoso Drag Strip.

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 6:59 AM, jp1gt said:

I thought that all the good swap meets were in the east. I would be coming from SoCal and also would like to know more details so I do not waste a trip.

The old swap meet was definitely worth the trip from So Cal but I only managed to do it a few times.

It always seemed to fall on a date I was busy with plans I could not adjust to a different date. 

• Like 1

"Hello 2024 Bakersfield ( AKA: Famoso Dragstrip ) Swap Meet-ers,

"The La Quinta Bakersfield South is a great place to stay for our 2024 Bakersfield Brass Era/ Pre war Swap Meet in the "YELLOW ZONE" at swap-o-rama. They are offering the Horseless Carriage Club discounted rooms, $72.86/ night, for Friday and Saturday, ...Thursday too if you come in early. Breakfast is included. There is plenty of approved truck and trailer parking both on property and along the adjacent Riverside Dr., a long cul-de-sac against the Kern River.. 

The La Quinta South is ideally located at the intersection of Hwy 99 and Hwy 178 with straight shots to both the Swap Meet at the Famoso Drag Strip "YELLOW ZONE" at swap-o-rama (22 min drive) and to the famous Wool Growers Basque Restaurant. Plus, surrounding our hotel are the Buck Owens' Crystal Palace (dinner and dancing), Ihop, Arby's, Denny's, and the Hacienda Grill. All within one or two hundred yards walk.

To make your reservations for Friday May 3rd and/or Saturday May 4th call (661) 325-7400 and connect to the front desk (ext. 5). Tell them that you are with the Horseless Carriage Group. "Jordan" is our friend and ally there. 

The La Quinta South will be the staging point for planned group evenings at both the Buck Owens' Crystal Palace next door and to the famous, and affordable, Wool Growers Basque Restaurant where everyone gets enough to eat.

We look forward to seeing you there. And after, having many of you and your horseless carriages on our four day California Rendezvous Tour in Paso Robles, CA. immediately following this Swap Meet.

For questions please contact Steven Chase. Tel: (323) 497-0601"

-From Steven Chase
Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I say this reluctantly, but the Buck Owens' Crystal Palace serves the best chicken-fried steak I've ever had. Even in Texas. Worth a special trip.

The bar has a full-sized Cadillac El Dorado convertible hanging against the back wall.