1940 Cadillac Lasalle Sedan - $15,000 Reduced to $8,000

No engine pics but seems a decent driver.....I wonder how the seller came to own it...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/el-sobrante-1940-cadillac-lasalle-sedan/7704356646.html

1940 Cadillac Lasalle 52 series Touring Sedan
322 ci L-head V8 paired with a column-shifted three-speed manual transmission
The three-spoke steering wheel features a chrome horn ring, and it frames a 100-mph sweep speedometer and gauges for water temperature, amperage, fuel level, and oil pressure.
This is a starting, running, driving, breaking and registered car. It does not run hot and I have driven it 30 miles to work and back twice sense owning. It is garage stored and started and driven around the block once a month. Battery has been connected to a battery tender and is ready to be driven.
This is a nice presentable car that can be driven as you fix the little things that would be needed to make it a daily driver.   email:   a5c9854b26643d9d987b7f036db5984e@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.e45214958e7499c24e60958d65d94ecb.pngimage.png.7fa040514967066be148fe8592409816.pngimage.png.38e4a4dc67c175a55ecad067ca8e66ae.pngimage.png.9a7cea830359bc966766924aa8e3b869.png

Edited by Leif in Calif
price reduction (see edit history)

LaSalles are great drivers, comfortable, reasonably roomy, and will keep up on the freeway.

If you do a comparison between one in a less-than-attractive setting with dull brightwork and faded black paint to sharp examples of other GM brands, a LaSalle's going to come up short, but a 40-52 done up right is a great-looking car: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/ooh-la-la-la-salle-1940-la-salle-series-52-coupe

This one looks like a decent $10-12K runner. 

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1940 Cadillac Lasalle Sedan - $15,000 Reduced to $10,000

That's the kind of price reduction I can appreciate! That's a big reduction. I don't know if that's an original type interior, but it looks neat and clean. The car just needs some detailing and it would look pretty good. If the photos had been taken at a better location, it would present better. I'd bet that the seller inherited the car, from the former owner who lived in that house. The parking brake seems to be holding on the sloped driveway. Is this the same body as the 60 Special? The original 80 Specials didn't have a lot of extra chrome trim. I like this car.  

I'll bet that the car is part of an estate and it is probably stored in the garage. The car needs to be sold because the old house needs to be rehabbed and sold. When I bought my '51 Jag, it was a similar situation, I could have had my Jag and a parts car for 900 bucks. I took only the "good"car because I didn't have any space for the parts car. This is like the '55 Buick and '57 Olds driveway cars I posted last week. The cars have got to go, but the seller doesn't want to scrap them. That La Salle would be a great way to get into the vintage car game. If only I didn't have so many other cars already!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2024 at 1:40 PM, Rivguy said:

"Is this the same body as the 60 Special? The original 80 Specials didn't have a lot of extra chrome trim. 

No, but the 60 Special 3-box body architecture provided the design inspiration for the 1940 GM/Fisher Torpedo C-Body sedans and for the C-Body series in general. When Bill Mitchell developed the 60 Special design, Harley Earl immediately recognized the potential it held for a smaller, more youthful Cadillac that would appeal to a younger demographic than their tradition 2 1/2-box touring sedans.  His instincts were confirmed when 1938 60 Specials accounted for 40.5% of total Cadillac sales that first year.  The 60 Special was also the styling sensation of that year, created considerable "buzz" in the current parlance.

A succinct definition of "3-box body architecture":  Box-1: all the mass ahead of the cowl including the front fenders and engine doghouse.  Box-2: All the body mass rearward below the window beltline including a full-integrated 'coupe-style' trunk.  Box-3: The 'greenhouse' top which sets on Box 2, is treated as a separate entity as it would for a convertible.

Misterl was always attuned to what would keep GM cars in the forefront of buyer fascination, the 60 Special was a gift from the design gods, so to speak.  The studios quickly set to work developing a mass-market design version with somewhat softer, sportier features which would be granted for top-line series for each GM nameplate except Chevrolet (which needed no high-image model to boost sales).   In addition to the four-door sedan, two-door 5-passenger club coupe and convertible coupe plus four door convertible sedan all were developed on the same design architecture.  

The GM/Fisher Torpedo C-Body models were the sensation of the 1940 industry, upstaging everything other than perhaps the Lincoln Continentals and Packard Darrins.  But unlike the latter two, folks with some degree of prosperity could readily avail themselves of the latest in automotive styling at their Pontiac dealership for approximately $1,050 or up to $1,750 for a Cadillac 62.  The industry took note of how popular these were, Studebaker, Hudson, Nash and even Chrysler developed similar versions for 1941.  Packard went into a panic, hurriedly developed the Clipper in hopes of catching up.

Ask a simple question, get a dissertation...
Steve 

Edited by 58L-Y8
syntax corrected (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've been looking through my research library as well as the internet. Even if the LaSalle isn't a platform mate of the 60 Special, it sure shares a lot of the design/style themes, except for the chrome window surrounds. But the window frames are fairly slim.  What is meant by a torpedo body? I like the fenders that end at the doors, I find the post War Cads to be bigger, curvier and more bulbous that carry the fenders into the front doors. 

I'm interested in the car and spoke to the owner. I've got too many cars already. I would have to sell at least one to free up space. I cannot add another car. That's always a problem, and why I have four hobby cars. i'm going to try to get things done, whether or not I would get the car, I still could use to thin my herd! 

I haven't had a car older than the 50's and this is a real antique. I wouldn't think of using it for daily driving. I am concerned a bit about how safe it would be to drive in traffic, especially in occupant safety in a collision. I rode motorcycles for thirty five years so I haven't been a real worry wart but I take safety seriously. 

My Wife asked me why I'd want a car like that. I told her that I like the way the car looks, it's "almost" a Cadillac, and it's just a "different thing." Something that I've never been involved with, it's as old as I would be interested in. Far from modern, but still fairly usable in modern traffic. Maybe the stars will align for me. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised this car hasn't sold for that price.

A running, driving car should have been sold a long time ago at this price.

But that is a very plain looking car for being a Cadillac. 

I've got a '39 LeSalle 50, which I think is the same mechanicals under the skin. It really is a great driving car. 

The paint of the car for sale looks pretty poor to me, so that may hold back buyers. I also think the style was so good in it's day, it doesn't look Prewar. I prefer mine because of the design cues (like being taller, tear-drop headlamps and the pontoon fenders) that made it look out of date when it was new seem more "classic" 80+ years on.

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Rivguy said:

I've been looking through my research library as well as the internet. Even if the LaSalle isn't a platform mate of the 60 Special, it sure shares a lot of the design/style themes, except for the chrome window surrounds. But the window frames are fairly slim. 

"What is meant by a torpedo body? I like the fenders that end at the doors, I find the post War Cads to be bigger, curvier and more bulbous that carry the fenders into the front doors." 

"Torpedo" was just a marketing term GM used to differentiate the new C-Body styles from their other cars, elevate it as 'the latest and greatest'.  With the world events unfolding at the time, a certain amount of military imagery was considered patriotic and good for business.   

On the "fairly slim" door window frames, Fisher Body engineers were the best in the business, capable of tooling for volume production features which Styling developed that added to their sales appeal.  Stamped, full-door construction was the most efficient configuration for volume production which they achieved on the C-Bodies although the design inspiration drew on the 60 Special's thin chromed window frames.  That style was attached to the stamped, half-door construction, a bit too costly for high volume production in price sensitive markets.

Harley Earl's stylists had been sketching design concepts with the fenders stretching into the doors, hinging functions had to be worked out before they could be brought to production, which they did for 1942.  It was simply the evolutionary step toward the fully envelope body.

Personally, I think you would be very pleased with this LaSalle if you buy it.

• Like 4

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1940 Cadillac Lasalle Sedan - $15,000 Reduced to $8,000

I actually went to see this car last month. The seller currently has it stored in a personal storage space. It looks like it does in the photos, a nice tidy presentable car. The interior is very nice. The paint is a bit rough, but it was also pretty dusty when I saw it. There is paint damage from the fuel filler over flowing.  !'ll bet that the paint can be repaired and buffed out. It started easily, idled smoothly and quietly. No oil leaks. the storage space floor is clean. The seller is a  very nice guy, younger (40 ish maybe), that has other collectible cars, he's a Hudson fan. He needs to sell his cars, as he can no longer store them at his house. He took me on a ride around the area, up to 45-50 mph. He really wanted to take me on the freeway as he says it runs fine there, but i declined, no seat belts are fitted. These cars have laminated safety glass.... but I wouldn't ride in one without seat belts. The car drove well. When we returned it idled smoothly. Then I asked him to restart it after sitting for five minutes. Started up fine. I'm sure that the car will need some little things, but it sure is a cool old car. 

I like it, and I've never had a car this old. And the LaSalle was a strong runner in it's time, probably as capable as many post war cars. They were well respected. I just don't know if I want a car that old. I currently have my '97 Riviera which is an interesting modern car that I can take to C&C events and on weekend trips, besides daily use. I think that the LaSalle would only be used for shows and C&Cs. And, I still would have to sell one of my cars!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 1/6/2024 at 6:37 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I had to laugh! A "truth in advertising" moment perhaps? In the description he calls it a "running, driving, breaking" car.

Spelling Nazis unite!

Present and accounted for. I saw that "breaking" also. Seller shoots himself in the foot!

Not really, I think that everyone understood what he meant. Darn auto correct! The sellers a sincere nice guy, I wish that I had the extra space.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 1:32 PM, f.f.jones said:

The LaSalle seems rather plain compared to the other marks with the same body. A little chrome makes a big difference.

The mid-year introduction of the Series 52 LaSalle was considered more modern looking than the Series 50 because it lacked the belt molding going down the side

• Like 1

I'm surprised this hasn't sold.

It's a lot more car than you get from Ford or Chevy, decent interior and brightwork, and Rivguy reports it runs good.

Easy enough to "refresh" the black paint, or switch colors.

Someone's going to do well by it.

• Like 2

8 grand for decent LaSalle.  I don't have the space another car but it would be a welcomed car if I did!

Even though I have been snookered twice when selling cars on BaT, I think the seller would get his 8 grand or maybe more by listing on an auction site (not free-bay).

• Like 1

I wonder if having a manual transmission might be a deterrent? I see it as a plus as it is simpler and easy to evaluate at purchase. 

20 hours ago, Rivguy said:

I wonder if having a manual transmission might be a deterrent? I see it as a plus as it is simpler and easy to evaluate at purchase. 

Could be, especially three on the tree. Floor shift looks familiar, but column shift is a mystery to lots of younger drivers.

2 minutes ago, suchan said:

but column shift is a mystery to lots of younger drivers.

Huh -- you mean it's not an automatic?!?  ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, suchan said:

Could be, especially three on the tree. Floor shift looks familiar, but column shift is a mystery to lots of younger drivers.

When I was learning to drive, we were at a stop sign on a bit of a hill and my dad said "Now, you don't want to roll back into that guy behind us, so let out the clutch a little faster with a little extra gas". OK, except I used to confuse First (down and toward you) with Reverse (Up and toward you). You know what happened next.....

• Like 1