For Sale: 1939 LINCOLN TWELVE MODEL K VICTORIA CONVERTIBLE BY BRUNN - $125,000 - MOCKSVILLE, NC - Not Mine

For Sale: 1939 LINCOLN TWELVE MODEL K VICTORIA CONVERTIBLE BY BRUNN - $125,000 - MOCKSVILLE, NC

1939 Lincoln for sale by owner - Mocksville, NC - craigslist
Seller's Description:

This important car was built for the 1939 NY or LA auto shows. Only 2 were made, both show cars. Brunn bodied cars are custom built, extremely rare and are hard to find. Collectors that have them generally won’t part with them. Overall, everything came together in the car: exciting styling, luxurious appointments, performance and handling. Henry Ford used Lincoln as a loss leader to prove he could build cars as well or better than any other car manufacturer. It is said that Ford lost money on every one that left the factory. The luxurious interiors of these cars demonstrate the “no expense spared” approach to over-the-top quality of this hand-built custom bodied car. The car was formerly owned by Don Sears and Don Connolly.

This is a good dry Western original car with no undercoating. We purchased this car from Significant Cars. It ran and drove perfectly when purchased. We have always stored and maintained it in our climate-controlled building. The car was last run in 2015. The car has had the engine completely rebuilt and all mechanical work by the late Ernie Foster with new bearings, valves, etc. We did a show quality paint job and hand pin-stripping 15 years ago. We re-chromed the bumpers and guards, headlight rims and hubcaps and installed new exact reproduction cloisonne hubcap medallions. New hood ornament. Correct wiper arms. Tires were new when we purchased the car. The interior is a high-quality vinyl in very good condition. We lowered the top a couple of years ago. The photos of the top are from the Significant car ad. It appears to be the original top that will make an excellent pattern. Windshield glass has some cloudy spots. It is simple flat glass.  We lowered the top 3 years ago. Convertible top photos are from the Significant Car ad that we purchased the car from.
Worldwide Auctions 2023 The Auburn Auction Lot 415 1938 Lincoln Model K Brunn Victoria Convertible sold for $472,500. All Brunns were custom built.  We are long time collectors.  We have onsite mechanical, paint & upholstery services with 50 years' experience available.  Wire transfer, cashier's check or cash for sales price only.
Copy and paste in your email: 83b8630d3f4837f89025f34a4d35434f@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1939 LINCOLN TWELVE MODEL K VICTORIA CONVERTIBLE BY BRUNN.

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC a.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC b.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC c.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC d.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC e.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC f.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC g.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC h.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC i.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC j.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC k.jpg

'39 LINCOLN BRUNN VICTORIA CONV NC l.jpg

• Like 3

“Car last run in 2015”.    “Has rebuilt engine”.    “We have onsite mechanical services with 50 years experience “.   

Think about these 3 quotes from the ad.   They want top money for the car, and it has a rebuilt engine.   And they have onsite mechanical services with 50 years experience.   Yet the car was last run 8 years ago in 2015.  That makes no sense whatsoever.   Why not get it running again since you have the skills in order to help achieve a higher price?   

The wheels should be painted black , it’s got the wrong gear shift knob, and the horn button should be grey like the steering wheel.   

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, K8096 said:

Think about these 3 quotes from the ad.   They want top money for the car, and it has a rebuilt engine.   And they have onsite mechanical services with 50 years experience.   Yet the car was last run 8 years ago in 2015.  That makes no sense whatsoever.   Why not get it running again since you have the skills in order to help achieve a higher price?   

Yeah, with all that skill and experience laying around, it should be an easy thing to get up and running…..Just ask Matt.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It has a shame they have not kept it running.   That is a fantastic car.  You might luck out and just do a full service and tires.  Matt's thread can show you worst case.   Engines with Aluminum and steel that don't stay on regular anti-freeze changes (say every 5 years) can have galvanic corrosion issues that are nasty.

However,this is a great car.   I would love and cherish it. 

Are there any mechanical updates or differences in the K during its last few years, or was Ford just riding them out to the end?

• Like 2

The only big difference mechanically was they went to hydraulic valve lifters in 1937.  

And the one that sold for 472K at auction that they mention in the ad was a special one of 2 built LWB conv Victoria that was in show condition.   They’re comparing apples to oranges.  
IMG_3026.png.1416d9f555a4bc25ebd57c94db1513df.png

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

The 1938-'39 Lincoln K Brunn convertible victorias are another example of how custom coachbuilders lead design that would become general industry practice within a few years: the five-passenger convertible with quarter windows.  In a contradiction to their typical lag in progressive style, the 1941 Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges plus Hudsons adopted this configuration first. GM and Ford followed for 1942.  Studebaker with its all-new postwar 1947; Packard only got around to it for 1948.  Only Plymouth and Lincoln Continental held out until 1949.   In fairness, Hudson had fielded a version of the five-passenger convertible with quarter windows since 1937, though with plastic quarter windows in the canvas panel.  Prior offering of five-passenger convertibles with quarter windows by Dietrich, Rollston, Brunn, Briggs and Fisher et al just didn't catch on as mainstream.

'38 Lincoln K Brunn conv vict lwb.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K8096 said:

They’re comparing apples to oranges.

Isn't that what most uninformed sellers do?

People that know prewar era cars know that a lot of other people know them also. Therefore they will tell what it is. Uninformed sellers don't know what the car really is, and therefore refer to their fantasies of what they wish it was.

Having had a 1938 Brunn of the same model I can confirm they are a great driver with a high speed rear end. The car has a major flaw…….and it’s why the top has been down for years. They are almost impossible to see out of with the top up. These cars have been consistently selling below market of comparable others. I see them for sale occasionally and they always seem to underperform the market……even for Lincoln’s. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is it really vinyl?  It looks like leather to me, but not the highest grade.

"The interior is a high-quality vinyl in very good condition."

Yes, made from the hides of pedigreed Naugas raised on Bridge of Weir barbed wire free pastures in Scotland...

Edited by 58L-Y8
Italicized quote (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

They say all that work was done in the not-too-distant past, but I just can't get past how scruffy the thing looks. To get top dollar, they should get it out, pay a professional $2000 to detail it, and take some good, well-lit photos. The asking price isn't crazy--vinyl interior aside--but the pictures just scream "neglected project."

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

"The interior is a high-quality vinyl in very good condition."

Yes, made from the hides of pedigreed Naugas raised on Bridge of Weir barbed wire free pastures in Scotland...

I thought that Naugas were only to be found in the DuPont Forest.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MccJoseph said:

This car has some beautiful lines but I am astounded at how unremarkable the dash it. 

To each his own, but to me the dash is a symphony of Art Deco loveliness.  Maybe a better photo of a correctly restored dash would change some minds.  The horizontal speed lines and art deco numerals on the instruments do it for me.  

1938 Lincoln Dash.jpg

Edited by charlespetty (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 12/19/2023 at 12:52 PM, charlespetty said:

To each his own, but to me the dash is a symphony of Art Deco loveliness.  Maybe a better photo of a correctly restored dash would change some minds.  The horizontal speed lines and art deco numerals on the instruments do it for me.  

1938 Lincoln Dash.jpg

This must be where the expression "Less is more" comes from. I just prefer symmetry and wood grain (1939 Packard comes to mind) but again to each their own. 😇image.png.d860777c00496426f98b263e78589fbe.png

• Like 1