1947 Frazer Manhattan *Fully Restored in Excellent Condition* - $16,000

This a lot of one of these, but it does look nice. Is that interior correct?

Much more text and many more pics in ad. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-1947-frazer-manhattan/7696483817.html

From the first year’s production by the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation, Audrey’s condition is nothing short of extraordinary and shows a lifetime of careful maintenance and care with incredibly lustrous paint, pristine gleaming chrome and stunning interior condition. Even her rubber seals are in lovely supple condition. Her Continental 3.7L engine starts and shuts off quickly, runs reliably and smoothly with strong power in all gears. Her transmission shifts quickly and smoothly through all gears including the electric overdrive and her suspension is tight and quiet.

- Underbody and sheet metal are rust-free and complemented by unmarked chrome bumpers and near-flawless original glass. Rare for her age, there is not a single piece of trim that is missing.
- All power and vacuum accessories including her electric overdrive and wipers along with exterior/interior lights, cowl fan, heater fan and horn work as intended.
- She comes with two keys, original books and manuals along with additional background information about the brand.

image.png.b21164191b15df93650374491f88455f.pngimage.png.67c00b7087007b90d45bbd95d050fd45.pngimage.png.75c8283699f830f241da6da9d0082ce0.pngimage.png.9543ee568f7ba07b0dd69a50c4fc166f.pngimage.png.e213c142be53f5e60a7b500401a46ab2.pngimage.png.d30e42313456e0d66997677dfc6056bc.pngimage.png.0e3b12f3dc527e24cd213da86ad69632.png

Calling the car Audrey brings back memories of the TV show My Mother the Car and the car photos include the painted ladies houses in San Francisco.  These cars don’t get a lot of love from collectors so maybe naming them after your grandmother helps fix that somewhat?  

• Haha 1

Wow, according to the CL ad, this car is located within a few blocks of my house but I have never seen it.  All I can conclude is that it is either a recent arrival (note Washington plates) or it's just very rarely driven, as I am very familiar most of the old cars around town.  It looks like a solid deal, despite the obvious and annoying hyperbolic ad copy, but I'm not sure I could live with that interior (and I have the same question as Leif about whether it's correct or not).  Also, just a note, those houses aren't actually the specific ones referred to as the "Painted Ladies," but certainly the same idea.  I can't locate the exact spot where the photos were taken, but I have a pretty good idea.

So if anyone is interested in this car, I would be more than happy to go and have a look at it.  Just send me a PM.

Edit: A little more detective work on Google Maps has established that the photos of the Frazer were taken at the end of Pierce Street where it dead-ends into Duboce Park.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

"... but I'm not sure I could live with that interior (and I have the same question as Leif about whether it's correct or not). "

While K-F was an innovator in the color and trim treatments in which its cars were offered, only by decoding the Body Code Number Plate seen on the firewall could we ascertain how this car was finished and upholstered from the factory.  That corner of a turquoise plate is visible in the engine compartment view.  K-F offered literally hundreds of paint colors and trim combinations to differentiate what few body styles they had to offer. 

Personally, I'd opine the interior pattern looks correct comparing it to sales catalog pictures but doubt if particularly the blue material is a good match for the factory upholstery.

• Thanks 1

The 1947 Frazer Manhattan was the priciest model in KFs 1947 lineup. Fancier interiors, more exterior trim and overdrive are a few of the standard amenities that the lower line cars didn't see unless optionally ordered.

This one looks good at first glance. The aqua interior material is very close to correct...this example is a bit too "fuzzy" but since it would likely be the only one at any show, who would know? KF used a rubber mat on the front floor in both the standard and Manhattan models so the carpet is incorrect, but in my opinion it looks better.

Under the hood needs some paint correction but it's clean so that counts for a lot.

I see a Frazer Facts Book in the literature stack...a rare item.

I'm sure the restorer has a fair amount more than the asking price of this car. I'd say it's a tad high but a good place to start the negotiations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was waiting for Jim to comment, as I knew we would get good information.  

Despite the teal interior being a close match, I think it's a lot of teal for the interior.  I would have preferred a large rubber mat in front, to break up some of that teal!  

If you are going to view a 47-48 Manhattan, this is how to do it - restored.  I always thought this slab sider looks so bad with tired paint, in dull black.  It's hard to wrap your head around one restored.  

But this looks awesome, and enjoyable.  Jim - Rudy tried to sell me a 48 Frazer Manhattan with a factory leather interior from that Colorado place for $1,000 years ago.  I should have bought it.  Frazers were rare with leather. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2023 at 11:44 AM, neil morse said:

Here's a pic from the Frazer sales brochure that shows that this interior, as Jim says, is in fact nearly correct.

frazer_interior.webp.47617b6be1511ede6ec3dd74e44a3474.webp

Does this factory depiction show a carpeted front floor ?

I know this is a 4 door K-F NOT a shoe box Ford coupe'  or a 1955 Chevrolet, but this car has been given a tremendous amount of EYE-BALL  via the color scheme, as  @58L-Y8  explained was K-F's plan