1976 Mercury Grand Marquis $10,000

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

Do you think that is a factory paint job?  Hood in back sitting a bit high.  

Yes that was a factory option 2 tone paint scheme which was quite popular,  and its gorgeous!  Agree hood is off.  Looks like hinges may be bent or need adjustment.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:16 AM, cjmarzoli said:

Looks like hinges may be bent or need adjustment.

I'm willing to bet those hinges have never been relubricated. It can eliminate binding and allow them to settle into place. 

2 hours ago, Fossil said:

I'm willing to bet those hinges have never been relubricated. It can eliminate binding and allow them to settle into place. 

I hope that’s true. It looks like the front end paint doesn’t quite match the doors, so it may have seen some damage. 

It’s a cool car and one you rarely see. I am glad it exists

Agree about the paint match. Hood was likely removed during the repair, and the shop might've been worried the hood would might bind on the fenders and chip paint, and left it high.

I had that issue when I had my '71 Eldorado painted.

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Now picture it with these factory aluminum wheels.

32328695-1977-mercury-grand-marquis-thumb.jpg

Yah, I'm a factory fancy wheels nerd. 😏

Makes a big car look ready to get up and dance! Especially one like this without skirts cluttering up the design.

Agree on the wheels but IMO they look way nicer WITH the skirts.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:12 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Do you think that is a factory paint job?  Hood in back sitting a bit high.  

Usually a telltale sign of worn/loose hinges, which seem to be a pretty common problem on American cars of this vintage.

What I do: remove the hood and the hinges, pull off the springs, cut the tail ends of the original rivets off with an angle grinder, pop them out, take a rod of some tough steel (something like 1045, or better) and make oversized rivets on my lathe. Clean and straighten the holes with a corresponding drill bit, lube, press in the new rivets and peen their tail ends with a chisel, cruciform pattern. Looks like from the factory. Several cycles of closing and opening the hood may be needed for the hinges to work smoothly. That works for cars with no factory repair kits/hinges readily available, such as 1950s Packards, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My friend has the same car, same paint scheme, with factory alloys and loaded. 460 engine. It only has 34,000 miles on it. He got it from the 80+ yr old original owner. He said his wife really liked it but he never did so he kept it in his garage covered in blankets. I'll find some pictures and post them.

• Like 2